IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

?? about Black spots on Rearview Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 07:21 PM
BamaOT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ?? about Black spots on Rearview Mirror

Took my IS250 in for 60,000 mile service, and decided to get it detailed. After getting my car, I pulled out of the dealership and noticed black spots, or splotches on my rearview mirror. I immediately returned and pointed them out to the service technician....Honest to God, I had never seen them on my rearview mirror before. Well, the Technician, was like, Oh, maybe you never noticed it before, etc. My thought was that they may have cleaned my mirror with some cleaning product and damaged it. Service Manager was called over, and looked at it, and said " We have had some problems with the rearview mirror on some of the cars, blah, blah, blah. What you see is a film because it is digital and over time, it starts to peel away from the inside.....blah, blah, blah.
My response " I have never seen this on my mirror before, service manager, Well, you probably are seeing the mirror from a different angle for the first time today. ??
Anyway, they finally agreed to replace it. Service Tech, says I am off tommorow, but I will call you the next day....you know we always step up to the plate to make things right....blah ,blah, blah. It has been 3 weeks, I am calling Monday to follow up.....but now I am wondering, Was it possible it was there? Honestly, I have never noticed these black spots on my mirror. Trust me, I would have remembered. Does anyone else have this problem? Could it have been a cleaning fluid they used when detailing my car? I don't want to be a *****, but honestly, I have never seen them, till I got my car back from detailing.
Old 08-24-12, 07:34 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It may have been there. I had it.....the dealership replaced mine under warranty. I'll try and find a pic I took of what mine looked like too. It sounds like its the exact same thing you got though. I know there was a thread where a couple other members had the same spotting on the mirror too...
Old 08-24-12, 07:37 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Here's the pic of what mine looked like....They aren't black in the picture, but in person it was black, i guess the flash makes the color of them look different.

Something like what yours look like?
Old 08-24-12, 09:27 PM
8lastoff
Driver

I have this same exact problem with my mirror and it pretty much looks just like the picture above. I was actually gonna start a thread like this as well. I'm just gonna buy a new mirror.

I had never noticed it, then one day it just popped up and now I can't stop seeing those black spots.

Last edited by 8lastoff; 08-24-12 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Spelling error =)
Old 08-25-12, 03:06 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8lastoff
I have this same exact problem with my mirror and it pretty much looks just like the picture above. I was actually gonna start a thread like this as well. I'm just gonna buy a new mirror.

I had never noticed it, then one day it just popped up and now I can't stop seeing those black spots.
The mirror is pretty damn expensive just for the part alone! I'm happy I was under warranty cuz the repair bill would have been insane outside of warranty. Apparently its an issue with the mirror glass and the auto dimming feature. It leaves those marks over time from constantly adjusting itself. I just hate that you can't permanently turn off the auto dimming feature on our cars to help prevent this. You gotta keep turning it off every time you turn the car on.
Old 08-25-12, 06:49 AM
8lastoff
Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
The mirror is pretty damn expensive just for the part alone! I'm happy I was under warranty cuz the repair bill would have been insane outside of warranty. Apparently its an issue with the mirror glass and the auto dimming feature. It leaves those marks over time from constantly adjusting itself. I just hate that you can't permanently turn off the auto dimming feature on our cars to help prevent this. You gotta keep turning it off every time you turn the car on.
Dang, I was hoping it wasn't gonna be too expensive, but I should've known better . My car is way out of warranty though. I doubt the steelership would replace it now? I guess I'll just have to suck it up for now
Old 08-25-12, 10:13 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Dang, I was hoping it wasn't gonna be too expensive, but I should've known better . My car is way out of warranty though. I doubt the steelership would replace it now? I guess I'll just have to suck it up for now
Yeah the part alone is $900 at the dealer. You can get it for about $600 on Sewell with the CL discount, but even at that price - if I wasn't under warranty I would have just sucked it up. You can ask corporate for some help maybe? But if your far out of warranty you may get nothing...
Old 08-25-12, 10:22 AM
8lastoff
Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Yeah the part alone is $900 at the dealer. You can get it for about $600 on Sewell with the CL discount, but even at that price - if I wasn't under warranty I would have just sucked it up. You can ask corporate for some help maybe? But if your far out of warranty you may get nothing...
Yeah I'll check into it. I found a bunch on eBay for like $300 used. Too many other mods to buy for now though. I'll stick to my tiger style mirror for now

Last edited by 8lastoff; 08-25-12 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-25-12, 10:26 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I'll check into it. I found a bunch on eBay for like $300 used. Too many other mods to buy for now though. I'll stick to my tiger style mirror for now
LOL "Tiger Style". That's a good way of describing it actually
Old 08-25-12, 11:29 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BamaOT
Was it possible it was there? Honestly, I have never noticed these black spots on my mirror. Trust me, I would have remembered. Does anyone else have this problem? Could it have been a cleaning fluid they used when detailing my car? I don't want to be a *****, but honestly, I have never seen them, till I got my car back from detailing.
I think it was probably already there, and you didn't notice. You only notice because after the detailing you were checking out your car This is a pretty common problem on the old mirror (not sure about the new one). Good thing you're going to get it replace.

I had the same spotting problem and got it replaced recently under the "mirror shaking when the window/moonroof is open" TSB. Well, my car didn't have that specific problem, but it shakes like crazy when driving on the freeway. It does get worse when the windows are opened.
Old 08-25-12, 11:47 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Out of curiosity, for those of you guys that did get a mirror replacement - does the replacement you got look exactly the same as the old one? I'm just thinking if it is the old mirror and not a revised part...i'm probably gonna have to deal with this issue in the future again -_-
Old 08-26-12, 02:37 PM
nosurprise
Racer

The replacement is different from the old one. The replaced one looks like this.
Attached Thumbnails ?? about Black spots on Rearview Mirror-asdf.jpg  
Old 08-26-12, 06:28 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

?? about Black spots on Rearview Mirror-cmqgq.jpg

I definitely have this problem as well on my '06 IS350. It's been that way for a few years.

It also has gone so downhill that it's done this a few times:

Ugh.
Old 08-26-12, 09:07 PM
nosurprise
Racer

I got the pic from ebay; he's selling a used 2010 mirror for $299 (might go cheaper, not sure if it has spots).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-IS250-...-/230759349167
Old 02-09-13, 05:34 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

I noticed on my cousins 06 and it was really bad. Then looked at mine and saw spots showing up. I have the "shaky" mirror replacement so mines for less miles on it but looks like it will get bad eventually.

Quick Reply: ?? about Black spots on Rearview Mirror