IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 for imperfect roads?

Old 04-06-19, 02:09 PM
vmhatup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 for imperfect roads?

I live in the Caribbean, and our roads are full of potholes. These potholes aren't deep enough to hit the car chassis, but there's lots of them. Most people are moving towards SUVs, like the rav4, crv, tucson, nx200, etc.

I really don't want to buy the same car everyone has, but I don't know if the IS350 is capable of moving around these types of roads. Ground clearance here isn't an issue: the potholes aren't deep enough to hit the chassis (even with a sedan).

I guess my question is: putting aside the ground clearance, is the suspension of a small SUV like the rav4 or cr-v really that much better (or stronger) than the 2nd gen is350?
Old 04-06-19, 04:15 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

i used to work for acura and have driven quite a few CR-v and all kinds of acura/honda in general. having said that, in my personal opinion i would avoid choosing any Honda product if your roads are rough. the ride over rough surfaces/broken pavement feels like you're riding in a tin can when you're in a Honda.. they are reliable yes, but ride quality isn't their strong suite. Rav4 is definitely more compliant and softer. I would opt for the rav4 if you're leaning towards an SUV

As far as the IS350 is concerned, the chassis is very stout. currently my rear shocks are blown and leaking oil. however, the ride is still composed and there aren't any noises to speak of what so ever. tight as a drum. Also, if you do your own maintenance...the IS chassis is well designed in my opinion. not sure about the rav4/crv configuration but replacing suspension components on the IS is fairly simple. I've done shocks, bushings etc by myself without a lift with hand tools and an electric impact. Lower ball joints are a common failure on all cars. what i love about the IS is the lower ball joint is one piece including the tie rod link. and its a bolt on style right to the spindle. makes it easy since you don't have to work with a press. fast, reliable and easily serviceable.

i wouldn't say that a small suv suspension is stronger in any way. they run macpherson struts. we have shocks in the IS. so no advantage there. suv's do have taller tire sidewall which helps absorb impacts and bumps.
Old 04-06-19, 05:10 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by vmhatup
I live in the Caribbean, and our roads are full of potholes. These potholes aren't deep enough to hit the car chassis, but there's lots of them. Most people are moving towards SUVs, like the rav4, crv, tucson, nx200, etc.

I really don't want to buy the same car everyone has, but I don't know if the IS350 is capable of moving around these types of roads. Ground clearance here isn't an issue: the potholes aren't deep enough to hit the chassis (even with a sedan).

I guess my question is: putting aside the ground clearance, is the suspension of a small SUV like the rav4 or cr-v really that much better (or stronger) than the 2nd gen is350?
It's debatable but a simple answer is yes, they should be stronger given the scenario that you drive them in the same manner.

A lot of variables in driving and I won't go thru all of them. I would say be conservative when you are driving on roads with lots of potholes. If you take care of your vehicle, it will take care of you
Old 04-07-19, 11:57 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,476 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Biggest factor between suv and IS is tire sidewall and shock damping rates.
If you were to run 50 series tires on the IS with OEM rims not some cast Chinese junk, the IS may be ok but the damping rates on the IS coupled with its limited travel and semi aggressive sway bars make it less of a candidate. Your goal would be avoidance if at all possible.

Good luck.