IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

'08 IS250 front subframe splash guard mounting point broke off

Old 08-16-12, 09:59 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default '08 IS250 front subframe splash guard mounting point broke off

Hi,

My wife was driving her car the other day and called me up concerning a knocking noise. When I got home to take a look I found that the front subframe splash guard was loose at one corner. Upon further inspection I found that the splash guard mounting point on the subframe had partially sheared off. Because this "tab" sheared off I am unable to reattached the guard. There is enough material left that I can jerry rig a new tab by JB welding a 3/8" washer in place as a mounting point for the splash guard, however, my concern is that there doesn't appear to be any damage to the splash guard in that area and the screw head that holds the guard on shows very minimal damage (although, something did hit it). I am questioning the integrity of the subframe. Are there any known subframe issues with this car? Is this something I should be worried about? I have found a subframe for sale on ebay and it appears that the exact same "tab" is missing. I have attached a picture of the one for sale on ebay and have circeld the area that the tab should be located in orange (there should be two tabs there just like on the left side). To me I would think that this tab would not break off so easily. The car currently has 65K miles on it and is out of the bumper to bumper warranty. I will be buying my wife a new car soon and will make the IS my daily driver. My plan was to drive the car until I get 200-250K miles on it but I am questioning such a vital component of the vehicle. The dealer wants $2700 to replace the subframe... I have found one new for $700 and can probably replace it myself (although I don't want to)... I can just JB weld a washer in the tabs place to reattach the guard and go on with life... or I could sell the car and buy something that makes more sense as a high mileage DD. Any opinions?

'08 IS250 front subframe splash guard mounting point broke off-subframe.jpg
Old 08-17-12, 12:44 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Looks like a simple tab, fix it forget it. Jb weld or take it to a fabrication shop to weld it right for 50-70 bucks.
Old 07-16-13, 09:52 AM
luvmyis250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Replace Splash Guard

Bought my '2008 IS 250 used from a non-lexus dealer. Noticed a semi-scrubbing sound as I turned my wheels towards the driver side. Looked underneath the passenger side front tire and the attached picture is what I found. Looks like it is held in place with clips and screws. Is this something that I should have replaced at the lexus dealership or could any handy man replace this after I order the replacement part? What would cause this type of damage? Thanks for the response.
Attached Thumbnails '08 IS250 front subframe splash guard mounting point broke off-lexus.png