Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

sucks fa u, no warranty?
Old 08-16-12, 08:56 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
Guys there are two fuel pumps in our car...one the back by the tank and there is one in the front under the engine bay....Lexus put two bec our car is consider a sports car and to keep power at all times...."so they say" but yea we have 2 pumps....kinda like a Porsche
It's not "so they say", it's because it has a direct-port injection system. The pump in the tank is a low-pressure supply pump for the high-pressure mechanical pump on the engine. All D4/D4S engines use the same system. Building the car with a high-pressure electrical pump in-tank (less reliable) and then having high-pressure lines running the entire length of the car instead of simply using a mechanical pump on the engine with a very short line makes little sense. Sports car or not, you need high-pressure for direct injection (approximately 2000psi), and the best way to do that is with a dual pump setup like all Toyota/Lexus/Scion D4/D4S cars have. Most DI systems from every manufacturer are similar.

Originally Posted by tBayBoi20
There is two. Not exactly sure where they are located though...
There are 2 pumps, the direct injection low pressure supply pump (in tank), the direct injector high pressure pump (on the engine). On the IS350 the low pressure pump in the tank supplies both the high-pressure pump and the port injectors. (There is a T in the line coming off the tank).

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 08-29-12 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-16-12, 08:58 AM
tBayBoi20
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
I'm glad you had fun....next time hit up a south Florida member tho...we have deals down here lol
Yea, I know...thats what pissed me off. I didnt have the time. But it worked out...just not too well for my wallet.
Old 08-16-12, 10:02 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I wonder why don't they replace just the pump that failed..

so, when your Lexus fails, you pay a tow truck driver and tow it to a Lexus dealer, pay a 4 digit repair price and you get a loaner and they repair your car.. that's not any lexus specific perk here that I see.. hope your road side assistance was free though.
Old 08-16-12, 08:45 PM
tBayBoi20
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
I wonder why don't they replace just the pump that failed..

so, when your Lexus fails, you pay a tow truck driver and tow it to a Lexus dealer, pay a 4 digit repair price and you get a loaner and they repair your car.. that's not any lexus specific perk here that I see.. hope your road side assistance was free though.
I completely disagree. If I would have had to pay for a rental for 4 days it would have really sucked. They gave me a better car than I could have rented almost anywhere for free. And yes, I have AAA so the 60 mile tow was free. But I think that is irrelevant.
Old 08-16-12, 08:46 PM
tBayBoi20
Driver

Originally Posted by juvi22003
sucks fa u, no warranty?
nope. not on an 06. but someone who types like a middle schooler wouldnt have figured that out on his own...so no worries. thanks for the concern.
Old 08-16-12, 09:47 PM
Menthol
Rookie

Wow, what a scary experience haha. I tend to drive down from nor cal to so cal and back a lot, I hope this doesn't happen to me in the future.
Old 08-16-12, 10:11 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

nope. not on an 06. but someone who types like a middle schooler wouldnt have figured that out on his own...so no worries. thanks for the concern.
If you don't mind me asking, how many miles are on your car? I am considering turning my IS into a high mileage DD. I am trying to weigh the costs of doing this.
Old 08-17-12, 07:27 AM
tBayBoi20
Driver

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
If you don't mind me asking, how many miles are on your car? I am considering turning my IS into a high mileage DD. I am trying to weigh the costs of doing this.
I just rolled over 100k
Old 08-17-12, 11:21 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I completely disagree. If I would have had to pay for a rental for 4 days it would have really sucked. They gave me a better car than I could have rented almost anywhere for free. And yes, I have AAA so the 60 mile tow was free. But I think that is irrelevant.
Yes. you do not have the hassle of going to another rental place, and I like that.
However, if you got a"free" loaner, it is only because the cost of repair has that included in it.
[$100 a day for a luxury car rental x 4 = $400]

For example, the Lexus dealer charges $129.99 for wheel alignment.
right across the fence, the Toyota dealer charges $79.99 for wheel alignment on a Lexus.
The difference?
Lexus gives me a "Free" loaner for the day, while at the Toyota shop I have to wait with the mommies and daddies in the waiting room.

Lexy left me stranded on I75-tesw8.png

Last edited by chikoo; 08-17-12 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-17-12, 01:47 PM
PolacRudie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chikoo
Yes. you do not have the hassle of going to another rental place, and I like that.
However, if you got a"free" loaner, it is only because the cost of repair has that included in it.
[$100 a day for a luxury car rental x 4 = $400]

For example, the Lexus dealer charges $129.99 for wheel alignment.
right across the fence, the Toyota dealer charges $79.99 for wheel alignment on a Lexus.
The difference?
Lexus gives me a "Free" loaner for the day, while at the Toyota shop I have to wait with the mommies and daddies in the waiting room.

I would always do this exact same thing when it was below 30 degree's here up north and I didnt feel like working on the 300 in the garage, take it to toyota right across from the lexus dealership and get whatever i needed done for usually at least a 30% savings.
Old 08-19-12, 06:48 AM
tBayBoi20
Driver

So Toyota would have done the same thing Lexus did for less? I feel like an idiot now bc Toyota was RIGHT next door. For some reason I thought they would have just sent me next door...
Old 08-19-12, 07:11 AM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CL member's price for the under hood pump is $907 from Sewell? Ouch! If both were bad (does seem odd that both would fail at the same time) and a local dealer did them for $1,500 with labor, that really isn't a bad deal.
Old 08-19-12, 08:51 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

sorry to hear the breakdown my friend but glad you got there safe and enjoyed your Vacation!!
Old 08-19-12, 09:53 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Damn, I've got an 06 with 135k... Hoping this isn't in my future anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Lexy left me stranded on I75