IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer/Warranty Issue - Need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 03:23 PM
2IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer/Warranty Issue - Need your opinion

I recently bought a 2009 IS250 with 65,000km (~40,000 miles), lately I noticed that the second gear grinds and rattles when shifting, so i brought it to the dealer.

July 27: Brought the car to the dealer and the mechanic test drove it and told me the second gear synchro had issues along with a loose bearing.

August 2: They did a full diagnostics and called me telling me that the transmission needed to be replaced (covered by the warranty) but at the same time it's recommended to change the clutch too since it's a bit higher than usual (at a cost of $675). I told them to only do the transmission since the clutch seems fine and doesn't slip, and apparently these clutches are normally higher than most cars. They said ok and scheduled an appointment to replace the transmission. Then they call me 2 hours later saying that if I don't buy a clutch they won't warranty the transmission. The mechanic says the clutch caused the problem because the clutch is 75% worn.. even though there are no signs of it being worn. I complain to the service manager and his first excuse is that the clutch caused the problem. Then he changes it to you always have to change the clutch when you change the transmission (!?!). Then he says if I really don't want to change the clutch, he will warranty the transmission but then afterwards my transmission warranty will be void.

What do I do? Can a clutch that is a little high cause synchro issues and lose bearing? The clutch doesn't stick at all, all other gears are fine. I'm bringing it to another dealer next week to see what they say.

Last edited by 2IS; 08-03-12 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-03-12, 03:44 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just change the clutch too.. what's the problem? you get a NEW transmission and a NEW clutch for free. EASY CHOICE
Old 08-03-12, 03:46 PM
2IS
Driver School Candidate

They're charging me for the clutch.. that's the problem. If it was free I would of done it for sure.
Old 08-03-12, 03:56 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I didn't read that part. Yea, take it to another dealership and see what happens
Old 08-03-12, 05:00 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are they charging $675.00 for the parts and labor? If they are only charging the parts might as well do it since the labor is, I'm assuming, overlapping with the transmission, since there's already 40,000 miles of usage on it.

Last edited by Individual; 08-03-12 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-03-12, 05:03 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Purchase one off of Sewell and slap it in the D bags lap. Say, here you go. Do your job and get to work you hack.
Old 08-03-12, 05:15 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A new transmission and clutch for $675, what's the problem? Why does everybody think everything should be free with a Lexus?

And why is the dealer a dirt bag? Let's grow up.
Old 08-03-12, 07:06 PM
Davidcv4
Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
A new transmission and clutch for $675, what's the problem? Why does everybody think everything should be free with a Lexus?

And why is the dealer a dirt bag? Let's grow up.
Because not everyone has money to throw away, and even if they did, wouldnt want to just say, "ok...heres the money...how long should I bend over for?" You can obviously get a clutch from Sewell at a more reasonable price and have them put it on....Albeit, calling them a D-bag is a bit harsh...more like opportunists at the expense of the consumer.
Old 08-03-12, 09:11 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidcv4
Because not everyone has money to throw away, and even if they did, wouldnt want to just say, "ok...heres the money...how long should I bend over for?" You can obviously get a clutch from Sewell at a more reasonable price and have them put it on....Albeit, calling them a D-bag is a bit harsh...more like opportunists at the expense of the consumer.
If you have money to buy a Lexus you have to expect expenses to maintain it. Granted not everybody has $675 'to throw away', but if Lexus is to warranty the new transmission and believes the clutch needs to be replaced to guarantee a proper repair why are they automatically crooks and miscreants? At the end of the day they have the final say. Do what you want, but do not come complaining if the clutch goes out down the road and you can't figure out why Lexus won't replace it under warranty.
Old 08-04-12, 01:13 AM
Dis350
Driver School Candidate

If you have money to buy a Lexus you have to expect expenses to maintain it. Granted not everybody has $675 'to throw away', but if Lexus is to warranty the new transmission and believes the clutch needs to be replaced to guarantee a proper repair why are they automatically crooks and miscreants? At the end of the day they have the final say. Do what you want, but do not come complaining if the clutch goes out down the road and you can't figure out why Lexus won't replace it under warranty.
I agree with everything you said, amen!!!
Old 08-04-12, 07:17 AM
linus73
Lead Lap

definitely replace the clutch! the trans is gonna be replaced and all you are paying for is a clutch, do what others suggust from sewell but make sure dealer will warranty the trans even with the clutch from sewell. if they say yes then get it in writing! if no then just buy it from them and ask them to please lower the price a bit so you dont end up broke. if dealer says clutch is worn, ask to see the worn parts.
Old 08-04-12, 07:57 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If nothing, tell them to put everything back and come back later.
Old 08-04-12, 09:30 AM
2IS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. Honestly if the clutch is worn then I don't mind spending the money on a new one since I'm saving on labor by doing it at the same time. I never said I thought Lexus should pay for the clutch (it is a wear and tear item), I just don't agree with them changing their story three times now. I just find it weird that I had no signs of the clutch wearing and they say it is, definately going to ask to see the parts. I have a feeling too that once it's all taken apart they're going to tell me I need a new flywheel as well and that's not cheap. I guess we'll see. Also I just found out that my clutch was making noise too so trying to see if it's the same as the TSB noise.

In any case, I'll check out the Sewell clutch since it's probably cheaper. Is it the same quality or better? Was wondering also if it's worth going for the f-sport clutch?
Old 08-04-12, 09:33 AM
2IS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Individual
Are they charging $675.00 for the parts and labor? If they are only charging the parts might as well do it since the labor is, I'm assuming, overlapping with the transmission, since there's already 40,000 miles of usage on it.
They didn't show me a breakdown of the cost but they said the $675 is for parts and labor but I'd be saving a lot of the labor since they already have to take the transmission off under the warranty.
Old 08-04-12, 09:36 AM
2IS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Davidcv4
That's exactly it. It's not about the money, it's about making sure I need that part before handing over the money. I've heard of too many stories of dealers taking advantage of customers. Just being safe.