IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Paddle shifts wont shift gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 07:25 PM
SharkTales
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle shifts wont shift gears

okay so i just noticed my paddle shifter is not switching gears at all starts at 4 and cant down shift or up shift with the paddle shifts never noticed it before till first time i tried it since i bought the car anyone know what it might be? and car is 06 is250 awd
Old 07-23-12, 07:34 PM
SharkTales
Driver School Candidate

anyone have a clue?
Old 07-23-12, 07:38 PM
brettno1
Rookie

The paddle shifters don't actually shift the gears. It's better to think of them as gear limiters. They simply limit the number of gears the car has to choose from. For example if the display showing the number four, then the car is limited to only the first four gears to select. That being said, when using the paddles you should see the numbers change between one and six. If that's not happening then it sounds like there's a problem.
Old 07-23-12, 08:10 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

search is your friend

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...rts-shift.html
Old 07-23-12, 09:41 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Will it shift with the shift lever using the +/- directions?
Old 07-23-12, 10:12 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

^No, because the paddle shifters are not really "shifters" in that they don't actually shift gears, nor were they designed to - they're merely a mechanism for manually selecting the gear range. Following is Lexus' description of the paddle shifters, taken from the New Car Features section of the FSM:
        ...and here are the rules by which the transmission operates:

Javier
        Old 07-23-12, 11:05 PM
        Fizzboy7
        Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I think there's a lot of grey area here and I'd like to learn more about this. When you are in manual mode and shift from 3rd to 4th, you are in fact going from third gear to fourth gear, yes? If so, how is that not shifting gears? The display shows the change and you can physically feel the transmission shift as you throw the shifter or flick the paddle. While I understand and agree it puts you within a range of gears, you are still technically going from one gear to the next (via the manual shift). If that is in fact what is taking place (see it and feel it happening), then one is truly shifting a gear. All the talk about not actually shifting gears still throws me for a loop.
        Comments?
        Old 07-24-12, 04:12 AM
        furryjet
        Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
        I think there's a lot of grey area here and I'd like to learn more about this. When you are in manual mode and shift from 3rd to 4th, you are in fact going from third gear to fourth gear, yes? If so, how is that not shifting gears? The display shows the change and you can physically feel the transmission shift as you throw the shifter or flick the paddle. While I understand and agree it puts you within a range of gears, you are still technically going from one gear to the next (via the manual shift). If that is in fact what is taking place (see it and feel it happening), then one is truly shifting a gear. All the talk about not actually shifting gears still throws me for a loop.
        Comments?
        By shifting to 4th gear you are actually allowing the car to shift until the 4th gear, the computer will determine if your current speed should use 4th or 3th or lower gear. Try this at a red light, put your car in s mode and set the gear number at 4th, then start rolling. You will notice the car rolls from 1st gear to 2nd gear and goes till 4th gear WITHOUT you telling it to shift. Then, when you are at 4th gear and flick the paddle to 5th gear, you will notice a lag of shifting because the ecu is deciding if the current speed needs higher gear; if it does, it will shift; if it doesn't, it won't. It's just a gear limiter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong and hope this makes sense.
        Old 07-24-12, 04:14 AM
        mitsuguy
        Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by furryjet
        By shifting to 4th gear you are actually allowing the car to shift until the 4th gear, the computer will determine if your current speed should use 4th or 3th or lower gear. Try this at a red light, put your car in s mode and set the gear number at 4th, then start rolling. You will notice the car rolls from 1st gear to 2nd gear and goes till 4th gear WITHOUT you telling it to shift. Then, when you are at 4th gear and flick the paddle to 5th gear, you will notice a lag of shifting because the ecu is deciding if the current speed needs higher gear; if it does, it will shift; if it doesn't, it won't. It's just a gear limiter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong and hope this makes sense.
        100% correct...
        Old 07-24-12, 05:53 AM
        tex2670
        Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
        ^No, because the paddle shifters are not really "shifters" in that they don't actually shift gears, nor were they designed to - they're merely a mechanism for manually selecting the gear range. Following is Lexus' description of the paddle shifters, taken from the New Car Features section of the FSM:

...and here are the rules by which the transmission operates:

Javier
        That's true, but if he "downshifts", it will drop the max gear from 4 to 3--I think he said it's not doing that.
        Old 07-24-12, 04:44 PM
        SharkTales
        Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brettno1
        The paddle shifters don't actually shift the gears. It's better to think of them as gear limiters. They simply limit the number of gears the car has to choose from. For example if the display showing the number four, then the car is limited to only the first four gears to select. That being said, when using the paddles you should see the numbers change between one and six. If that's not happening then it sounds like there's a problem.
        thats whats happening its not chanign the numbers at all
        Old 07-24-12, 04:45 PM
        SharkTales
        Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jgr7
        Will it shift with the shift lever using the +/- directions?
        yes when i use the shifter its self it will change but not with the paddles wont even change the numbers
        Old 07-24-12, 05:09 PM
        LILDANTE79
        Lexus Test Driver

Yea I'm having the same issue. My paddles won't work unless I turn the wheel to the right side maybe half a turn. Idk maybe a wire is loose.
        Old 07-24-12, 05:13 PM
        SharkTales
        Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LILDANTE79
        Yea I'm having the same issue. My paddles won't work unless I turn the wheel to the right side maybe half a turn. Idk maybe a wire is loose.
        yeah mine wont do it at all maybe i should try turning the wheel and try it then
        Old 07-24-12, 09:02 PM
        javyLSU
        2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're accelerating or decelerating and nothing at all is happening when you select a new gear range, it sounds like you might want to visit a dealership. That's not normal behavior.

Javier

Quick Reply: Paddle shifts wont shift gears