IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

engine needs 18k in repairs, lexus won't cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 08:25 AM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine needs 18k in repairs, lexus won't cover

I've got a CPO'd 07 IS350 with approx 75,000 miles on it and 12k left on the note. Last weekend my car broke down in SW Michigan. Heard a rattle when I stepped on the gas and as I pulled over on the hwy my engine stalled before I came to a complete stop. Some smoke came from the engine bay too. Roadside assistance tow'd the car to a dealer in South Bend, IN. I live in the Chicagoland area so I've only been in contact with the dealer by phone. Dealer says my water pump failed and a lot of internal damage resulted from it including warped cylinders. The adjustor came out today and to repair and replace everything I'm looking at $18,000 that Lexus is NOT covering even though I'm under extended warranty. Lexus feels that an issue of this magnitude wouldn't of just happened and whoever has been servicing my car should have found it earlier. I stopped going to a dealer for service about a year ago. You can probably guess that I don't have 18K to spend on a new engine so what options do I have?

-pay the 18k to repair/replace
-pay less than that for a used engine
-contact Lexus HQ
-contact the shop that's been servicing my car for the past year
-see if insurance will cover or total

Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-20-12, 08:28 AM
maximL
Pole Position

Call Lexus HQ.
Old 07-20-12, 08:33 AM
texas02118
Driver

Call Lexus HQ immediately! In order to refuse service they will have to prove that you were at fault and that is hard to do! Don't give up, if you paid for CPO is because of this type of issue. Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 07-20-12, 08:37 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Def give Lexus HQ a call. Let us know how it turns out!
Old 07-20-12, 08:42 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

If i were you I would definitely call headquarters. Make sure you act professional but at the same time be firm on the fact that you expect them to fix it. Say what needs to be said!
Old 07-20-12, 08:44 AM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Spoke with Lexus HQ. Told them I feel my warranty should be honored. They'll get back to me within 2 days.
Old 07-20-12, 08:49 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Yep call Lexus HQ immediately
Old 07-20-12, 08:55 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Call Lexus immediately!

Not everyone can tell something is wrong with their car, you didn't cause it to fail.

Jeff
Old 07-20-12, 10:49 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you called HQ! Hopefully they do something for you. Unless they can prove that the engine failure was from your negligence, they should not be denying you repairs. If you've been getting service done (Doesn't matter where) this repair should have been covered no questions asked. Water pump failure isn't an uncommon issue with the 2IS either, many people have had their water pump fail.
Old 07-20-12, 12:07 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm curious to know if you noticed your Temp. gauge get into the red if the dealer told you the water pump failed.
Old 07-20-12, 12:12 PM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

Didn't notice, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Only indicators were the noise and smoke and no lights went off until the car stalled.
Old 07-20-12, 12:19 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kikkomanrj
Didn't notice, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Only indicators were the noise and smoke and no lights went off until the car stalled.
Well hopefully they will cover the damages but if the temp did get into the red they could say it was negligence on your part for not pulling over before the engine overheated.
Old 07-20-12, 12:30 PM
mixa86
Pole Position

if the car is CPO............... i dont see how they can not honor it, after all thats what you paid for!!! also i would get your CPO contract and rules and i am sure that you will see engine internals and water pump under the warranty list. My 3rd party covers all this!

18k to replace a motor thats some BS your car is a few grand over that......

Last edited by mixa86; 07-20-12 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-20-12, 01:05 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

If you have not kept receipts/records of your routine maintenance for the past year, they might ding you for that. But is a water pump a maintenance item that Lexus says you must replace at XX,XXX miles? I don't believe I've seen that in the manual (but I could be wrong). Any how, this is what I found in regards to what your CPO warranty should cover :

Warranty Coverage
The Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is actually better than some new-vehicle warranties. It's an extensive limited warranty, technically known as an "exclusionary warranty." Starting on your date of purchase, it offers the same coverage and privileges new-car buyers receive. To see what is and isn't covered, view the list below or visit your Lexus dealer for complete details.

This warranty also provides a complimentary loaner car, Roadside Assistance[1] and Trip Interruption Service coverage as described in the Stellar Coverage.

It is valid for three years or 100,000 total vehicle miles from your date of purchase, whichever comes first.

No deductible. Repairs made under this warranty will be at no cost to you.

This warranty covers any repair or replacement of components that fail under normal use due to a defect in materials or workmanship except as set forth under "Exclusions."

Engine
•Transmission
•Final Drives and Axles
(Front-Wheel Drive)
•Rear-Wheel Drive
•Steering
•Brakes
(Excluding Rotors and Pads)
•Fuel System
•Cooling
•AC and Heating Systems
•Electrical
•Computer
•Restraint Systems
•Accessories and Controls

Exclusions are :

The following components are specifically excluded from coverage under the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty:

Standard Upkeep Items:
accessory drive belts, batteries, filters, fluids, heating and vacuum hoses, lines and tubes, tires, spark plugs, windshield wiper blades (rubber component).

Wear and Tear:
Examples include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums and manual clutches.

Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.

Accessories:
any non-Lexus accessories or modified components, including but not limited to wheels, radar detectors and cellular phones.

Other:
any component which has not failed, but that a repair facility recommends or requires to be replaced, repaired or adjusted.

BTW, did you know this about your CPO coverage?

Lexus is devoted to the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned buyer's comfort, safety and security by offering coverage that truly goes above and beyond, just like a new buyer's experience.

- Roadside Assistance [1]Complimentary 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We'll send help anywhere in the continental U.S.A., with a national network of roadside-service providers. Just call the toll-free number and Lexus will take care of the details.

- Trip Interruption
If your vehicle breaks down while you're away from home, you will be reimbursed for meals and lodging for a maximum of three nights (up to $200 per night) while repairs are performed on your car, in addition to a rental car for up to five days (up to $50 per day).

- Loaner Car
Complimentary, of course, for any warrantable repair exceeding eight hours.
Old 07-20-12, 02:36 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by kikkomanrj
I stopped going to a dealer for service about a year ago.
I'd be looking at the place you'd been going to for service. They should have noticed something during their inspections/tests. You can't have it both ways.

Quick Reply: engine needs 18k in repairs, lexus won't cover