IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Molding Wald Spoiler Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 03:52 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Molding Wald Spoiler Help

I have an is250 and I ordered the wald trunk spoiler and would really like to have it molded. It just seems so much cleaner and gives the car a more flush and aggressive look. So I was wondering what's a good price to mold the wald spoiler? And does anyone know a shop (or someone) in SoCal that knows how to and could do it for me at a reasonable price. I've already called a couple shops and they either don't know what I'm talking about or don't speak English....
Old 07-09-12, 03:56 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have looked into this and I haven't found many shops that would do it for a reasonable price. Those with reasonable prices have bad reps so I went to LTBMW because my brother has a e93 335i and they quoted me 700 to mold and paint and about 1200 to raise the quarter panels.
Old 07-09-12, 04:11 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I did mine myself with a rep and spent way less than what everyone did with materials and the spoiler itself.
Heres the thread on when I did the trunk and another one when I did the quarter panels. If you are gonna mold and don't care for having the authentic then I recommend getting a replica and save yourself some money towards the body work. Seems like everyone paid roughly 500-1000. I bought my wald rep from Bayson R on ebay for 200 shipped. Check out the third link I posted below maybe u can find a member in that thread thats in your area that could point you in the right direction

http://public.fotki.com/remydee/the-is-journal/
Molding the trunk
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-spoiler.html
Raising the quarters
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-a-a-lift.html
The Molded Wald spoiler club
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...are-there.html

Before and after raising the quarters

Currently how it is molded it months ago havent had any issues with cracking, shrinking, warping or anything

Last edited by RDIS250AWD; 07-09-12 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-09-12, 04:23 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

RDIS250AWD: yeah I thought the same way so I ordered the wald spoiler from carkings on eBay, and I would really like to do it myself just so I could say I did it. But how hard is the difficulty because it looks pretty difficult. And what tools would I need because I don't have much or at least I don't think so haha
Old 07-09-12, 04:25 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RVCAis250
RDIS250AWD: yeah I thought the same way so I ordered the wald spoiler from carkings on eBay, and I would really like to do it myself just so I could say I did it. But how hard is the difficulty because it looks pretty difficult. And what tools would I need because I don't have much or at least I don't think so haha
If you havent done any body work before highly don't recommend it. But I used a DA Sander, Duraglass and fiberglass and a bunch of sand paper. What color is your car btw? are u planning on raising the quarters too? Or sanding down the spoiler to avoid the drop between the spoiler and the quarter panel? Most members either left it alone or sanded down the spoiler. I only know of 3 other members that raised their quarters. Sanding the spoiler down works too but from the pics Ive seen from members that did that the body line on the quarter doesn't match up with the spoiler. It doesnt look bad but I guess I'm just a perfectionist when it comes to detail

shaved spoiler

raised quarters

Last edited by RDIS250AWD; 07-09-12 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-09-12, 04:50 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Oh yeah I saw that too and I want to shave it, I just thought it looked unique. And my IS is SGM....
Old 07-09-12, 06:49 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You want something nice for cheap. That's not usually the case if you want it to look good. A quality body shop charges about $95/hr labor rate. This takes a while to test fit, add material, sand, prime, paint, clear, etc.... Unless you do it yourself I don't think it will be cheap. I was the first to raise my quarter panels to match up with an authentic Wald trunk spoiler and although it looks awesome it cost me a lot of money. That's just the truth.
Attached Thumbnails Molding Wald Spoiler Help-001.jpg   Molding Wald Spoiler Help-derrick-mance-top-shot.jpg   Molding Wald Spoiler Help-dsc_0043.jpg   Molding Wald Spoiler Help-dsc_0042.jpg  
Old 07-09-12, 07:11 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
You want something nice for cheap. That's not usually the case if you want it to look good. A quality body shop charges about $95/hr labor rate. This takes a while to test fit, add material, sand, prime, paint, clear, etc.... Unless you do it yourself I don't think it will be cheap. I was the first to raise my quarter panels to match up with an authentic Wald trunk spoiler and although it looks awesome it cost me a lot of money. That's just the truth.
I didn't say I wanted it cheap, I just asked for a good reputable shop that good do the job without overpricing me or ripping me off... and like I said I called a few shops and they didn't know what I was talking about, so I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for experienced shops that will make me feel happy about the money I'm going to spend....
Old 07-09-12, 07:25 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't say I wanted it cheap, I just asked for a good reputable shop that good do the job without overpricing me or ripping me off... and like I said I called a few shops and they didn't know what I was talking about, so I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for experienced shops that will make me feel happy about the money I'm going to spend....
I assumed reasonable as cheap. I apologize. Here's what you do....If you know anyone who has good body work or paint, have seen or heard of a good shop or Yelp a shop in your area you NEED to bring the spoiler to the shop to see what they need to do. You can also ask in the So Cal section.
Old 07-09-12, 07:27 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

platinum vip if you dont care about price and want it done right.
Old 07-09-12, 07:29 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

I just called up one of my shops I used to go to in san diego and they quoted me 550. That's pretty damn good
Old 07-09-12, 07:33 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I just called up one of my shops I used to go to in san diego and they quoted me 550. That's pretty damn good
not bad if you trust the shop (which you've done work there in the past)

another idea can be to swpa trunks and throw cash on someone who already has one thats molded and is parting out / selling
Old 07-09-12, 08:55 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

550 sounds resonable make sure u show them picks of exactly what you want done
Old 07-09-12, 09:03 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Platinum VIP can mold the trunk and paint it.
Old 07-09-12, 11:49 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I was referred to LTBMW, and their work looks pretty good. Seen a few of their rides, and I haven't found one customer who wasn't satisfied. I'm actually getting my work done with VIP Auto Salon. Despite some of the negativity, I've known Clark for awhile now and trust his work and his attention to detail.

Mariano's IS is beyond sick! His pics got me from on the fence of molding the WALD to actually having it done. But quality work certainly doesn't come cheap, and I'm fine with that.

Quick Reply: Molding Wald Spoiler Help