IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Its so hard to keep the car in PRISTINE condition as a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-12, 05:50 PM
Gplex1987
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its so hard to keep the car in PRISTINE condition as a daily driver

So am I the only one who has this disorder of keeping the car perfect? Its my daily driver and it sucks how i got a few dings just parking the car in a parking lot.

Here is why its so hard to keep the car in pristine condition.
1) I drive 70-90 miles a day due to work and its mostly freeway miles.
2) I have no car garage so the ISx is exposed to the sun, rain, bird poop.
3) I drive around to different supermarkets cause i do inventory and i visit like 9 supermarkets a day so my car is turned on and off here and there. Stupid customers also tend to leave shopping carts by my car so I try to park far. (I've already got 3 small dents)

I wash the car every week with meguires luxury wash and spray on wax.
Every month I would polish the car, then wax over the polish with some good wax.

Is anyone here similar to me?

Im so tempted to buy a civic or 4cylinder as a daily but I dont want to pay for more insurance and maintaining another car will be some more $$$.

I was thinking of buying my dad's 97 mercedes for cheap but that thing eats up alot of gas and has really high mileage.
Old 07-04-12, 05:53 PM
eddiekay
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel the same way, don't worry. I get pretty annoyed if i see any marks on my car, especailly because it is black and you can see just about anything!

I wash my car once a week like you too and polish it/spray wax it. When it comes down to it it's so hard to keep it tiptop clean that i have come to enjoy just taking car of my baby. kind of like taking a shower =)

I think of it as bonding time with my car ( probably makes me sound like a freak ) lol!
Old 07-04-12, 06:05 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

funny u just made this thread bc I just created a thread about keeping my car clean with wolfgang products lol
Old 07-04-12, 06:14 PM
eddiekay
Rookie

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
funny u just made this thread bc I just created a thread about keeping my car clean with wolfgang products lol
i just cleaned my car today too, a quick wash and some wax. i've seen your pics of all the products, it's a crap load... how long it take you start to finish? must've been some hard work with lots of elbow grease
Old 07-04-12, 06:21 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by eddiekay
i just cleaned my car today too, a quick wash and some wax. i've seen your pics of all the products, it's a crap load... how long it take you start to finish? must've been some hard work with lots of elbow grease
Roughly 3 hrs on the exterior
Old 07-04-12, 06:41 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel your pain. My hood is especially dinged up, once I buy my own place where I can garage the car I'm going to have the hood resprayed. It's pretty awful.
Old 07-04-12, 07:05 PM
impruv
Driver School Candidate

I feel the exact same way, mine is cursed too since I've had more random crap happen to it.
Old 07-04-12, 07:33 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

daily drive mine too, i try to keep it as clean as possible ( at least inside ) & washing it every weekend
Old 07-04-12, 07:50 PM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

same man im a daily driver and yea man just today not even an hour from a public park I find a 2 scratches from those god dam trashcan they left next to my car ...
I wash my baby good today but i know she's gonna get dirty real quick here especially with this weather
Old 07-04-12, 09:02 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Mine is daily driven... it's a pain to keep clean because of dirt, bird poo, and tree sap.

As for dings, I've been pretty lucky in avoiding them by parking far and finding the most undesirable spot... so nobody will park next to me. Also, park in corner spots since it can give you the most buffer space if you hug it right.
Old 07-04-12, 09:41 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

My car had zero dings and was absolutely pristine, actually no one cared about this when I posted it for sale.. they just wanted to offer a price (-$3000) without even seeing it in person.

So I say the car condition not matter too much unless it's totally scraped up.
Old 07-04-12, 10:32 PM
TripleCjr
Driver School Candidate

I hear you on the daily thing...I noticed a chip on my hood from the freeway...it's tough, but I wash it twice a week, and I keep the inside immaculate, so it still looks good.
Old 07-04-12, 10:43 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's very hard...especially if it's BLACK!!!
Old 07-04-12, 11:16 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

Its not that bad. I wash, clay bar, wash again, then polish and wax every six months. I just did this Monday, look me about 6-7 hours just for the exterior. I also take my wheels out to clean and seal them with klasse sealent once a year. That's when I get the wheel wells real good. She gets regular hand washes about every other week. My car is tungsten pearl so it not that bad. Also having a orbital polisher helps. Gl
Old 07-05-12, 01:05 AM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
It's very hard...especially if it's BLACK!!!
I know that feel bro! Hahaha
All the rockchips and scratches are intensified and it's so ugly to look at when it's sitting in the sun

Quick Reply: Its so hard to keep the car in PRISTINE condition as a daily driver