IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Groaning noises when making a full u turn

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-17, 03:06 AM
2istype
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Groaning noises when making a full u turn

When making a full left u- turn it will make some type of groaning noises like something is rubbing which is not. The sound is deep and quite annoying. My car is 100% stock. This only happens when making a full left u turn. Doesn't happen when making a right full u turn. I have an 07 IS350. This never happened before, i always drive my car casually, never making any sudden turns.
Old 10-27-17, 05:27 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm going to tell you what I think it is and also why I think you do not hear it on a "right full u turn".

The castor on the front (how parallel they are) when the steering is at full lock left or right is, I've read, 8 degrees. That means the outer tire is 8 degrees out of parallel with the inner tire in a tight turn. A low speeds, the front tires are fighting each other and they are slipping sideways across the ground. That is the rubbing sound you hear. As you can imagine, it's not great for your tires.

As to why you don't hear it on a "right full u turn".? May I ask in what world do you make a right u turn. I've been driving for almost 40 years and I cannot recall one instance when I made a right u turn. Perhaps that's why you don't hear it, but if you did make a right u-turn, it would still happen. Perhaps in a right turn, it is the passenger front tire that slides sideways and you don't hear it as much.
Old 10-27-17, 08:12 AM
2istype
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jr4div2
I'm going to tell you what I think it is and also why I think you do not hear it on a "right full u turn".

The castor on the front (how parallel they are) when the steering is at full lock left or right is, I've read, 8 degrees. That means the outer tire is 8 degrees out of parallel with the inner tire in a tight turn. A low speeds, the front tires are fighting each other and they are slipping sideways across the ground. That is the rubbing sound you hear. As you can imagine, it's not great for your tires.

As to why you don't hear it on a "right full u turn".? May I ask in what world do you make a right u turn. I've been driving for almost 40 years and I cannot recall one instance when I made a right u turn. Perhaps that's why you don't hear it, but if you did make a right u-turn, it would still happen. Perhaps in a right turn, it is the passenger front tire that slides sideways and you don't hear it as much.
Upon driving it again this morning it seems when I'm going a bit faster, the less noise but when I'm casually making a left full u turn at very low speeds its so apparent. But yes lol I normally don't make a right full u turn but I just had to test it out to see and it make's no sound at slow, moderate or faster speed. Also when my wheel locks at full u turn, it doesn't center on its own which I was told by folks on here that it's normal but there are some who says theirs will return to the center. Mine will return to the center at regular turns or reversing at full turns which is so weird. Please let me know if yours center on its own at full u turns left or right. I also forgot to mention that my steering wheel is slightly crooked to the right so I know I need an alignment which I haven't done so.

This is really bothering me. I sold a perfectly running 2011 Infiniti G37 Sedan which almost had 98k miles it was fully loaded with bluetooth, navigation, telescopic steering and more power for a basic 2007 IS350 with no navigation, no Bluetooth just simple as it is but the vehicle only has 65k+ miles I went through great lengths, travel to obtain it just to experience lexus quality and this isn't what I expected.
Old 10-27-17, 08:35 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 2istype
Please let me know if yours center on its own at full u turns left or right. I also forgot to mention that my steering wheel is slightly crooked to the right so I know I need an alignment which I haven't done so.
It depends on how bound the tires are when you release the wheel. I've only done a couple of sharp turns with it locked and usually, unless it's a long turn, it will return. When I first discovered the same "rubbing sound", I got in a parking lot to check it out. I had just gotten a suspension upgrade (coil overs, f-sport sway bars and USRS) and was concerned I was in fact rubbing. In my experiments I did have occasion where the wheel stayed turned. I was a little disconcerting, but knowing this, I will not count on the wheel straightening up in very sharp turns.

You have a very reliable car. Yes, the '07 is a little light on current tech, but then again you should have know that. Every car has quirks and if you spend some time on this board, you'll learn about them.
The following users liked this post:
2istype (10-27-17)
Old 10-27-17, 02:23 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Does the noise only happen if moving at full lock? Does the noise or pitch of the noise change depending on the speed of the car while making the turn?
Old 10-27-17, 03:00 PM
2istype
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Does the noise only happen if moving at full lock? Does the noise or pitch of the noise change depending on the speed of the car while making the turn?
Full lock when only making full left u turn and yes the noise is more apparent when going really really slow.
Old 10-29-17, 08:44 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

maybe bad ball joint?
Old 11-01-17, 02:41 AM
2istype
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XSV
maybe bad ball joint?
No all suspension looks great from ball joints, control arms. May I add that also at full turn left, right reversing sometimes results in jerking. Feels like the car is actually jerking when trying to turn all the way or making u turns with the apparent rubbing sound. It's really more of an annoyance tbh

Last edited by 2istype; 11-01-17 at 03:12 AM.