IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got 2 tickets for my tints :[

Old 06-07-12, 09:05 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
So I got pulled over about a month and a half ago for my window tints. I have 5% all around and nothing on the windshield. I had them for about 5 months and have never been bothered other than this one time Ive driven next to cops and troopers many times and have never had a problem. Once I even drove next to a trooper on the highway for a good 15 minutes and he didnt do anything.

Just as a reference, in FL the legal limit is 28% in the front and 18% in the back but you can get away with 15% or 18% all around no problem. What do you guys suggest that I do? I appreciate any feedback
I see a slight problem. The VLT is 28% in front and 18% in the rear.

5%, is way too high profile and enough to pull you over. Basically means your VLT was really about 3.5% - 8.5% (5% variance tolerence), which is definately illegal. Means 15% and 18% is illegal too simply calculating since the window stock is already at 70%. 70 * tint % = your VLT.

Bascially you would be allowed to put 35/40% front and rear is 20% to be within the VLT limit.

Last edited by Sango; 06-07-12 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-07-12, 09:18 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mjh09e
^^So change the title lol.
I can change the title of the thread? I didnt know
Old 06-07-12, 09:20 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sango
I see a slight problem. The VLT is 28% in front and 18% in the rear.

5%, is way too high profile and enough to pull you over. Basically means your VLT was really about 3.5% - 8.5% (5% variance tolerence), which is definately illegal. Means 15% or 18% is illegal too simply calculating since the window stock is already at 70%. 70 * tint % = remaining VLT.

Bascially you would be allowed to put 35/40% front and rear is 30% to be within the VLT limit.
I honeslty dont know about those details.

My tints were technically 1.9% because of the factory tint, but I knew what I was getting pulled over for. I knew it was illegal when I had it done. What Im pissed about is that I got 2 different tickets
Old 06-07-12, 09:35 AM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I pointed to the moderator, but I guess you posted the comment a second before me.
Old 06-07-12, 09:47 AM
Sango
Pole Position

I honeslty dont know about those details.

My tints were technically 1.9% because of the factory tint, but I knew what I was getting pulled over for. I knew it was illegal when I had it done. What Im pissed about is that I got 2 different tickets
1.9% ouch. Yeah that will hurt.

To clarify about the tolerence variance, it is actually +- 5. So the tint you had is possibly the actual spec is a bit lower than the tint number you have, and or margin of error in the VLT meter.

It's unfortunate that you recieved two tickets. You may want to consider raising the limit to be with legal.

For me, I'm running 35% (actually 38% as per tint manufactuer specs for their 35) and VLT allowed is 24% so I'm fine. Could go down to 30% (33 spec), but didn't want to push it since it would be at the very limit.

I know in Vancouver, BC, their tint laws are like California (not front tint) however they enforce the tint laws more seriously. They have the authority to use a blade/razor to slash/cut your tint on the spot for an illegal tint at their discretion. Forces violator to remove the tint with a certain date and show it at the police stataion it is gone or else face a more serious fine (a few hundred dollars) on top of the tint ticket. Some people try to find their ways out of it but the officer knows the tricks. Why is your windows rolled down at night (even funnier when some do it in the rain). Officer gets serious enough, that they know they were avoiding the question and they are ordered to raise the windows up because they know they are hiding the illegal tint.

I don't have problems driving in BC, as long as the cops can see through the tint, I'm fine.

Last edited by Sango; 06-07-12 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-07-12, 09:56 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

1.9% ouch. Yeah that will hurt.

To clarify about the tolerence variance, it is actually +- 5. So the tine you had problem a bit lower than advertised and or margin of error in the VLT meter.

It's unfortunate that you recieved two tickets. You may want to consider raising the limit to be with legal.

For me, I'm running 35% (actually 38% as per tint manufactuer specs for their 35) and VLT allowed is 24% so I'm fine. Could go down to 30% (33 specced), but didn't want to push it since it would be at the very limit.

I know in Vancouver, BC, their tint laws are like California however they enforce the tint laws more seriously. They have the authority to use a blade/razor to slash/cut your tint on the spot for an illegal tint at their discretion. Forces violator to remove the tint with a certain date and show it at the police stataion it is gone or else face a more serious fine (a few hundred dollars) on top of the tint ticket. Some people try to find their ways out of it but the officer knows the tricks. Why is your windows rolled down at night (even funnier when some do it in the rain). Officer gets serious enough, that they know they were avoiding the question and they are ordered to raise the windows up because they know they are hiding the illegal tint.
Yeah Im thinking of doing 15% all around.18% is the legal limit in the back for FL, but I dont think Im going to get bothered for that
Old 06-07-12, 10:02 AM
Sango
Pole Position

70 (stock factory tint) *0.15 (percentage of tint) = 10.5 % +/- 5 (VLT), which is still below 18% VLT to be legal. I'm not too sure you want to do that but I guess that would be something to thing about.

Last edited by Sango; 06-07-12 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-07-12, 10:42 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

70 (stock factory tint) *0.15 (percentage of tint) = 10.5 % +- 5 (VLT), which is still below 18% VLT to be legal. I'm not too sure you want to do that but I guess that would be something to thing about.
As long it visually doesnt look as dark as 5%, Im fine with that. I just dont want to get bothered by the cops again
Old 06-07-12, 11:34 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I think you guys should play safe in the legal tint limit soon or later the cops would get you if they needs enough tickets by the end of the month, I had dark tint before on my older Camry and drove for few years without problem then some day i got pull over and the cop's gave me a ticket saying that my tint darker than legal limit, and they said I can have dark on the back windows but not the fronts, OK remove off the front and a month later I got pull over from the different cop's for the tint, and they said you can't have darker than the limit either front or back shoot no more tint for me ever. Make sure don't drive aggressive on the end of the month, cops would find reasons to give you ticket.
Old 06-07-12, 11:40 AM
GiGAS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you even see at night with 5% tint?
Old 06-07-12, 12:08 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ohiois350
I think you guys should play safe in the legal tint limit soon or later the cops would get you if they needs enough tickets by the end of the month, I had dark tint before on my older Camry and drove for few years without problem then some day i got pull over and the cop's gave me a ticket saying that my tint darker than legal limit, and they said I can have dark on the back windows but not the fronts, OK remove off the front and a month later I got pull over from the different cop's for the tint, and they said you can't have darker than the limit either front or back shoot no more tint for me ever. Make sure don't drive aggressive on the end of the month, cops would find reasons to give you ticket.
Yeah thats pretty much what Ive realized. And I almost never speed but I dont need any unneeded attention

Originally Posted by GiGAS
Yeah its not difficult, it just takes some getting used to. I dont have any tint on my front windshield so normal driving is fine. The only thing that could pose an issue is reversing in a dark parking lot. Thats why I have CREE reverse bulbs
Old 06-07-12, 12:16 PM
adrr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GiGAS
My IS came with 5% in the back, i couldn't see anything out of it even during the day. Had it replaced with 25%
Old 06-07-12, 12:33 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ohiois350
...shoot no more tint for me ever. Make sure don't drive aggressive on the end of the month, cops would find reasons to give you ticket.
Note quite true.

There is always Llumar Air Blue 80. Tint which people would not notice. I have it on my front windshield and no one knows at a glance it's there unless I tell them. To the eye, a 20% or less light difference is indistinguishable without comparing it to the stock without the tint beside it or one is really trying to to look for it.

http://truestreetcars.com/forums/lom...-cant-see.html

http://www.aptinting.com/gallery/mai...g2_itemId=1327

Below are two of my front windshield of Air Blue 80. First one with flash, the other, without. I am happy that I have it since I can reduce the glare + heat rejection properties since its ceramic based.

Last edited by Sango; 06-07-12 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 12:42 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adrr
My IS came with 5% in the back, i couldn't see anything out of it even during the day. Had it replaced with 25%
It just takes a while to adjust to it, nothing too crazy IMO

Note quite true.

There is always Llumar Air Blue 80. Tint which people would not notice. I have it on my front windshield and no one knows at a glance it's there unless I tell them. To the eye, a 20% light difference is indistinguishable without comparing it to the stock without without the tint beside it or one is trying to really look for it.

http://truestreetcars.com/forums/lom...-cant-see.html

http://www.aptinting.com/gallery/mai...g2_itemId=1327

Below are two of my front windshield of Air Blue 80. First one with flash, the other, without. I am happy that I have it since I can reduce the glare + heat rejection properties since its ceramic based.
Ill ask whoever I get to redo my tint if they have this. I would love something for my front windshield!
Old 06-07-12, 12:54 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Ill ask whoever I get to redo my tint if they have this. I would love something for my front windshield!
You may need to check your tint dealer(s) around the area because Llumar/F1 is dealer exclusive which means they have to be an authorized dealer from Llumar/F1 to carry/order their products.

Last edited by Sango; 06-07-12 at 12:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got 2 tickets for my tints :[