IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Water or condensation inside my passenger headlight

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-12, 08:43 PM
Rickyp521
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water or condensation inside my passenger headlight

Hey CL members i got a bit of a situation. so i have a 2011 IS 250 F sport. of course i had the 2011 headlights which had the bubbling effect. i took them to the hendrick lexus in charlotte nc and they order me and installed the 2012 headlights. around mid april i got the headlights changed and now a few days ago i came to the problem where somehow theres water built up all over my headlamps. any ideas what could be the problem? anyone else had this problem? you think the dealership will fix it by any chance? also ive had paint protection film on the front end of my car including the headlights you think they will blame it on the film cause it wasnt done by lexus. heres a picture below
Attached Thumbnails Water or condensation inside my passenger headlight-image.jpg  
Old 05-27-12, 08:48 PM
knbnguyen
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

i had this happen on my old IS250 before... the only way to fix it is to open the headlight up and clean it.. at least that is the only way i know
Old 05-27-12, 08:54 PM
toony15333
Pole Position

I would bring it back to the dealership
Old 05-27-12, 09:14 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't had my headlights replaced yet for the bubbling problem but I don't think it's the rock chip protection film since they don't need to remove your headlights to put the film on. I think it might be an installation problem. I would definitely take it back to the dealership.
Old 05-27-12, 09:21 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take it back, they will replace it for free.
Old 05-27-12, 09:36 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

if you havent messed with the headlights it would have to be a faulty seal, just bring it back, it will be fixed under warranty
Old 05-27-12, 09:44 PM
Rickyp521
Rookie

see thats the thing i hope they dont accuse that whoever installed the film is why the headlights have the water problem inside. i live in greenville nc but im from charlotte and bought the car in charlotte, the nearest lexus dealership from me is in raleigh. you think by going to a toyota dealership they could fix the problem just to avoid the driving cause raleigh is about and hour and half from Greenville.
Old 05-27-12, 11:03 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take it back to the dealership where you had the work done. Something wasn't sealed properly.
Old 05-31-12, 11:07 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Question regarding a problem like this, I have the same problem with my IS passenger lamp, What steps are required to actually open up the headlight lense and fix this problem? When cleaning the inner lamp, does it require any special polish or anything? Or simply clean it up with a dry towel and seal it back up with some caulk? Please advise
Old 05-31-12, 11:51 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Deegee
Question regarding a problem like this, I have the same problem with my IS passenger lamp, What steps are required to actually open up the headlight lense and fix this problem? When cleaning the inner lamp, does it require any special polish or anything? Or simply clean it up with a dry towel and seal it back up with some caulk? Please advise
I just took off my headlight and let it dry in the sun. I dont think you HAVE to open it up.
Old 05-31-12, 12:15 PM
dags07
Driver School Candidate

Yes, just take you bumper off and remove your headlight, remove all bulbs and moisture shields and let it dry on the sun. Bob's was actually filled with water so check that also
Old 05-31-12, 12:19 PM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

you can also bake it in the oven, if you cant find a good sunny spot. did a few headlight mods and sealed them back this way. i use to install projectors in non projector headlights.
Old 05-31-12, 12:34 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a feeling this has to do with the lens of the light not sealing correctly at the time of the headlight was assembled.

To those wondering how I arrived at this hypothesis . I recently got 2012 headlights which I retrofitted with TSX projectors. Just like my previous retrofit on my 2007 headlights I had to make a 2" hole on the back of the light which I have left open without any type of cover. Now the past few weeks we've had some nasty rain here in south Florida and not once have my lights has this issue. My retrofit 2007 lights with the same size hole also did not have this condensation issue.

This leads me to believe that water is getting inside the light via a small area where the lens meats the headlight housing.
Old 05-31-12, 12:44 PM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Originally Posted by B16da9
I have a feeling this has to do with the lens of the light not sealing correctly at the time of the headlight was assembled.

To those wondering how I arrived at this hypothesis . I recently got 2012 headlights which I retrofitted with TSX projectors. Just like my previous retrofit on my 2007 headlights I had to make a 2" hole on the back of the light which I have left open without any type of cover. Now the past few weeks we've had some nasty rain here in south Florida and not once have my lights has this issue. My retrofit 2007 lights with the same size hole also did not have this condensation issue.

This leads me to believe that water is getting inside the light via a small area where the lens meats the headlight housing.
having the hole is allowing the moisture to escape quickly. his is definitley a seal problem its getting in but hard to get out. take it back because even if you dry it out it's gonna come back. this usually happens to poor quality parts not genuine lexus parts.
Old 05-31-12, 03:06 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CANDYAPPLE
having the hole is allowing the moisture to escape quickly. his is definitley a seal problem its getting in but hard to get out. take it back because even if you dry it out it's gonna come back. this usually happens to poor quality parts not genuine lexus parts.
I would agree with you but the rain was for a couple of days and only and hour or two with the humidity levels high so if I was getting condensation my 2" hole would help it.

Quick Reply: Water or condensation inside my passenger headlight