IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cops having nothing better to do...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 01:41 AM
149MAX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cops having nothing better to do...

view from my IS350

view from buddy's 335is (he has speed on his dashcam, showing our speed before we got pulled over)

Video pretty much shows entire story, I tried to edit as little as possible (with exception of some personal info/delay when dash cam creates new files).

I extended the video showing us driving for the first few mins just in case the arm chair po's wanna criticize.

Note dash cam was off by 1hr. It was actually close to 4am driving home with a buddy and some lg's... and apparently the po deemed us to be competitively driving (racing) when you go the limit 60-65km and driving along side each other lol. Of course they have no evidence but bs other than him saying "he saw us speeding/driving over the limit."

HTA 75(4) for unnecessary noise

LOL on my oem/dealer option exhaust (https://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experienc...electeId=24532) ... and he kept insisting it was aftermarket.

Also no decibel reading on site, did not check my exhaust, no idle revving.

HTA 70 (3)(a) for improper tyres...

70 3a says...
"(3) No person shall operate or permit to be operated upon a highway a vehicle that is,
(a) fitted with a tire that does not conform with the standards and specifications prescribed in the regulations; or"

Why waste taxpayer money/time/court fees by issuing such tickets? Just so you can weasel a reason for not responding to a real emergency call? And instead pulling over two cars not driving aggressively, doing speed limit on a empty road, not accelerating hard/making excessive noise, just to give some bs tickets that will get thrown out. :stop:

Any thoughts on fighting the improper tyre charge?? Anyone with a lowered car get one of these bs tickets??
Old 05-23-12, 02:18 AM
sallydrive
Driver

LOL wow.. that sucks.

For the muffler, when you buy any aftermarket product the is approved for your state, it comes with a sticker or certification. You can show that to the court along with a letter from a dealer saying that's how you bought the bar and it was stock. Same for the BMW, just go to the dealer.

As for the clearance, where I live if you fix it, the ticket gets dismissed. But its different in other places, if its legal, get someone to inspect it and right a letter that you can show to the court.

My friend and I got pulled over once in his car for loud muffler (stock F-Sport) and after market HID's...He showed a letter to the court from the dealer along with the cars build sheet saying its stock and state certified. As for the HID's the ticket got dismissed because there is no law against it, the cop was just BS'ing and wanted to be an *** so he wrote a ticket for "Improper Lighting" which got dismissed as well.
Old 05-23-12, 02:47 AM
gemini1
FNM President

Every Sate is different when it comes to this kinda citation.
Here in california we usually get a ref ticket where we have to take your car and have it checked by local pd or chp (california hwy patrol).
If you say it's oem and can prove it fight it in court with your documentaion.

As to wether you two were racing? That's up to the cop? Obviously, he say's you guy's were. But, I just emailed this video to my friend who is a CHP officer here in
Caifornia. He said " regardless if you 2 were driving under the speed limit or under the speed limit in the middle of the night. If you look at the video you can see both of you driving side by side at same speed or one or the other ahead of each other.
To oncoming traffic or a cop sitting at corner waiting for you to speed by.
A cop can assume that you guys are? Cause you both are side by side.
That's his opinion and like he said it's the officer's discretion to believe you or not? "

But, anyway "fight it in court"!
Old 05-23-12, 03:44 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You could clearly see the sign that was 60km. The dash cam was showing 66km. This is 37mph compared to 41mph.

I would constitute this racing for sure!! If your on a VESPA!!!!
Old 05-23-12, 04:26 AM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn! I've gotten stopped 5 times for this so far. Each time ends with "Look, I like your car, but it's too loud. Here's a warning. Oh and even though it looks good, you need a front plate. Good day" haha I'm telling you man. Buy a stethoscope!
Old 05-23-12, 05:23 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow that cop was just a **** like really "next time get a quieter car" you can fight that easy...well in Florida we can get that dropped...
Old 05-23-12, 05:45 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to go off topic but I just went to the link for the F Sport parts and towards the bottom is says that parts listed with ** include the price of install. The carbon fiber engine cover is over 1K "installed".....
Old 05-23-12, 06:40 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow that is ridiculous.

LOL at cop telling your friend to get a quieter car.
Old 05-23-12, 06:54 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 149MAX

HTA 70 (3)(a) for improper tyres...

70 3a says...
"(3) No person shall operate or permit to be operated upon a highway a vehicle that is,
(a) fitted with a tire that does not conform with the standards and specifications prescribed in the regulations; or"

Any thoughts on fighting the improper tyre charge?? Anyone with a lowered car get one of these bs tickets??

What are the regulations and the standards and specifications? Where can I find them, and what tires are on your car? In the US, so long as the tire has a DOT label on the sidewall and still has legal read depth remaining, you are good... Although dumb as it may be, I've never heard of it being illegal to change to even a completely wrong type of tire on a vehicle, so that ticket is kinda odd...

Again, any link to these standards they are referencing?
Old 05-23-12, 08:39 AM
149MAX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
What are the regulations and the standards and specifications? Where can I find them, and what tires are on your car? In the US, so long as the tire has a DOT label on the sidewall and still has legal read depth remaining, you are good... Although dumb as it may be, I've never heard of it being illegal to change to even a completely wrong type of tire on a vehicle, so that ticket is kinda odd...

Again, any link to these standards they are referencing?
http://www.canlii.org/en/on/laws/reg...0-reg-625.html

I believe somebody posted this somewhere else. But these are the regulations. He claimed I was too low, but gave me a charge for improper tyres... but my tyres are oem spec
Old 05-23-12, 08:49 AM
149MAX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gemini1
Every Sate is different when it comes to this kinda citation.
Here in california we usually get a ref ticket where we have to take your car and have it checked by local pd or chp (california hwy patrol).
If you say it's oem and can prove it fight it in court with your documentaion.

As to wether you two were racing? That's up to the cop? Obviously, he say's you guy's were. But, I just emailed this video to my friend who is a CHP officer here in
Caifornia. He said " regardless if you 2 were driving under the speed limit or under the speed limit in the middle of the night. If you look at the video you can see both of you driving side by side at same speed or one or the other ahead of each other.
To oncoming traffic or a cop sitting at corner waiting for you to speed by.
A cop can assume that you guys are? Cause you both are side by side.
That's his opinion and like he said it's the officer's discretion to believe you or not? "

But, anyway "fight it in court"!
Lol he was just bs'ing... if he had evidence to prove that we were speeding/racing he would have given us actual tickets, instead for fishing for bs ones.
Old 05-23-12, 08:52 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the radio was too loud in the video... j/k!

Did you happen to have tints on your which could of been too dark and the officer decided to through this BS?
Old 05-23-12, 09:37 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Anyone from Canada (or knows Canadian Vehicle Codes) that can help OP?

Last edited by kickin8; 05-23-12 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-23-12, 09:39 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fight the tickets, when I went to traffic court for an accident, I couldn't believe how many people were getting their tickets thrown out because the cop who issued it didn't show up. There were like 90 people in my court room who have tickets and only like 5 cops showed up. There's probably some other code for the car clearance but he got the wrong one saying it's the tires. And show that the exhaust are OEM options. I've driven around without my axle-back on with deleted resonators and straight-pipes but never had a cop stopped me for it.
Old 05-23-12, 09:51 AM
carbonlexi
Pole Position

f sport exhaust really arnt that loud at all if anything there really raspy and thats if your smash

Quick Reply: Cops having nothing better to do...