IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Leatherique Rejuvenator for leather that's destroyed

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-12, 08:46 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leatherique Rejuvenator for leather that's destroyed

So I thought I'd give a little test on this Leatherique stuff on some actually destroyed leather. I have an SC400 with leather that is literally as hard as cardboard. I've heard of guys just using this stuff for regular cleaning, but I wanted to really test how it works with leather that should probably just be replaced. I don't really care about my SC very much so I'm fine with doing "experiments" with it (ideas welcome). I'm going to attempt paint later this summer. The car cost me $4,000 and it's only for winter winter, so I'm not too worried about messing something up.

I just put the first coat of this stuff on and I'm going to let it sit over night, I'm only doing half the car at time so you can really see the difference. It's getting close to dusk right now there's no point in pictures, but I'll throw some up tomorrow of how it looks after letting the oil sit overnight. Has anyone tried anything similar?

Last edited by busdepot; 05-22-12 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-19-12, 09:25 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

My uncle redid his entire interior on his E28 BMW 335i (including the steering wheel) using Leatherique products. Turned out very nice, I've also used it before with good success.

His and my experiences were with stripping/rejuvenating/redying though, not just using the rejuvenator on old leather, but I'm sure it will help.

Jeff
Old 05-19-12, 10:40 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

just be sure you only apply LIGHT coats with it, otherwise, it will come out darker and ruin it. it may not look like it's doing much, but it is doing something, and you will need to put 6+ coats of light spreading until it works... but don't overdo it, very very light spreading is all it takes! and patience!
Old 05-20-12, 05:22 AM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

I will definitely take this into consideration
Old 05-20-12, 07:19 AM
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

Where can you buy it??
Old 05-20-12, 09:05 AM
phillimt
Pole Position

Gotta buy it online from their website. Can't remember what I spent, I believe it was somewhere around $75. I also bought their leather protection cream as well though, which I use these days in a three-layer protection kit on my leather.

To give the OP some more information, I found that the products worked quite well for me - up until I did overdo one of my layers. It looks awful due to the top layer, but I've found that I've been able to peel off the top layer (with slight difficulty) to reveal a really nice looking under layer which matches pretty nicely with the rest of the seat. Once this layer completely chips off, it'll look pretty nice.
Old 05-20-12, 09:20 AM
IS2FIFTY
Lead Lap

man tempted to try this ! lol
Old 05-20-12, 09:37 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

First coat sat over night, leather feels a bit looser, but tough to tell when it's still greasy. just going to clean it, pics shortly.
Old 05-20-12, 10:23 AM
phillimt
Pole Position

Awesome, excited to hear how this turned out for you..
Old 05-20-12, 10:54 AM
mrich1353
Driver School Candidate

I used on my 2000 Land Cruiser and was thrilled with results. The custom matched dye was a perfect match for a light dabbing application in the wear cracks.
Old 05-20-12, 10:56 AM
phillimt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrich1353
I used on my 2000 Land Cruiser and was thrilled with results. The custom matched dye was a perfect match for a light dabbing application in the wear cracks.
Yes it really seems to do a good job, glad to hear about the positive experience on your end as well!
Old 05-20-12, 12:11 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Round 1 of treatment results

Original

After first treatment

I've done the other seat now too. I've found that the main thing so far is that you're actually able to clean the crap that collects in the cracks and everything. I'm in the process of doing the second round of treatment on the seats, this time with them in garbage bags in the hot sun. The car is black, so it should get nice a toasty in there. I'll take some pics tonight for y'all.

The dye and all that stuff I might pass on, mostly because the car isn't worth it. My IS, however, will be getting the full treatment on the driver seat.
Old 05-20-12, 12:12 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

gat damn!!!!!!

that's ridiculous!
Old 05-20-12, 12:17 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

The leather is becoming a little bit more soft, but as you can see, this leather is in awful shape. It mostly just came clean. The baking is supposed to be where you get the big gains is softness apparently. But that's for next time on Club Lexus Mythbusters lawl.

Also, for people who want to try it too, you can order it from the company directly or through a number of websites. I got mine from Autoobsessed.com out of Edmonton.

Last edited by busdepot; 05-20-12 at 12:20 PM. Reason: i are dummy.
Old 05-20-12, 01:37 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Yeah, when my uncle did his BMW it wasn't quite that bad, but he stripped it, filled the cracks, rejuvenated, then redyed it, etc., so in the end it looked brand new essentially. It's seriously a lot of work, and for what it sounds like you want the car for, what you're doing will probably be good enough.

Looks good.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Leatherique Rejuvenator for leather that's destroyed