IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rolling vs cutting fenders

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 11:26 AM
seouljahon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just bought a fender roller a couple of years ago and its paid for itself. I would just get a roller from tire rack and that way you can just roll it whenever needed.
Old 05-20-12, 05:22 PM
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

May I ask what does rolling/cutting your fenders do? Can it be a DIY job or do you have to go to a shop?
Old 05-20-12, 06:07 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it provide more clearance for lower offset wheels, wider wheels, wider tires.. there's ton of DIY on youtube
Old 09-30-14, 04:15 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What about cutting the interior?
In other words, the part that would-be rolled (that inner lip); what about just cutting that out, leaving the front intact?
I'm asking 'cus from what I've seen, "cutting" refers to carving-out the actual fender/quarter-panel, so it's deeper.
I don't want to do that; I just want to save time over rolling, and using a heat-gun, etc. I'm gonna keep my current wheels, I just want another inch or two dropped, without rubbing.
I heard it's like 2hrs each side though, if you decide to roll.
I just don't have the time or money, to spend on rolling; otherwise I prolly would, since I know it's "the right way".
So I hit up Supra Forums, and they all said - Don't worry about it, just cut 'em.

Yes/No?
Old 09-30-14, 07:03 PM
prada_g
Rookie

Originally Posted by CityKnight
In other words, the part that would-be rolled (that inner lip); what about just cutting that out, leaving the front intact?
I'm asking 'cus from what I've seen, "cutting" refers to carving-out the actual fender/quarter-panel, so it's deeper.
I don't want to do that; I just want to save time over rolling, and using a heat-gun, etc. I'm gonna keep my current wheels, I just want another inch or two dropped, without rubbing.
I just don't have the time or money, to spend on rolling; otherwise I prolly would, since I know it's "the right way".
So I hit up Supra Forums, and they all said - Don't worry about it, just cut 'em.

Yes/No?
I bought the $80 Eastwood knockoff roller off of eBay & knocked out all four corners on my F in about 2 hours total. The fronts went by fast as there's very little material to roll in the first place....It's really not too difficult . Hardest part was jacking up the car bc of how low it is & the dumb jack points.

Next step is to rent this thing out on Craigslist & make my money back on it!

Last edited by prada_g; 09-30-14 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 09:02 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CityKnight

Yes/No?
the inner portion that would be rolled is that part that people are refering too when they say cutting.

but like stated above cutting is a risk. on my old ls400 i cut the fronts and rears, both buckled at one point. so a good roll/pull is more than enough