IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Annoying Bluetooth phone problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-12, 03:19 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Annoying Bluetooth phone problem

Hi, I have this problem with the Bluetooth feature since the first day of delivery. Whenever SOMEONE CALLS ME and i press "answer", it will stay in "conversation mode" until I turned off the car. In "conversation mode", I can not use any voice command because when i press voice command button, it will make two beeps "beep beep". I can not simply exit conversation mode either except when i turn off and turn on the car again. This is bothering me because it eats all my phone battery in conversation mode. It will NOT happen if I INITIALIZE the call though.

Here are my attempts to fix without success:
1. I tried reconnecting the phone. The bug is still there.
2. I have tried using many other phone. Same bug occurs.
3. I brought it to the dealer and a tech tried resetting the phone system. The bug is still there but could not fix. They told me to come back for a higher level tech to fix. They also told me this is the FIRST time someone report such a problem.

I'm looking for a solution... sign

Note: My car is IS250 2012 with navigation and F Sport package.
Old 05-06-12, 03:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

1. when was the last time you fully shut down the phone? need to turn them off every few days so they can get the proper updates
2. instead of reconnection, delete the "Car Multi-Media" device out of the phone, delete the phone out of the car, and re-pair the two

Here's my troubleshooting guide:

BLUETOOTH TROUBLESHOOTING:

How to set-up Bluetooth; With Navigation:

We’ll use an iPhone4 for ex. Go to
- Settings
- General
- Bluetooth
- make sure bluetooth is on (slide on/off)
- Below that is "Devices" or "search device"
- On the phone, select the "hands-free" 2009 below or “Car Multi Media” 2010+ under search device. It should begin paring and prompt you for the passkey. Enter it and select "pair". It may say it's paired but not connected. If this is the case, then select "hands-free" one more time.

From the car:
- Car on/acc mode
- Info
- Telephone
- Settings
- Register phone
- it'll bring up a menu that has a passkey and looks like it's ready to pair
- Pair

Just to double check that the phone is paired to the car, from info-telephone-settings-select phone. The phone should be in the system now with a little "BT" symbol next to it.

For Non Navigation Models:
Use the push to talk switch and the voice should layout some commands. One of which is "phone set-up". Say phone set-up and continue with the voice instructions by hitting the push to talk switch and saying "yes" "pair phone" etc... Meanwhile from the bluetooth menu in your phone (probably under settings, make sure the phone is set to "discoverable mode". Once the phone is searching, "Hands Free" should show up on your phone. Select the pair button and you should be prompted with a pass key (four digits + enter) it's usually 1111 or 1212 etc...

________
Other Troubleshoots:

UPDATE YOUR SMARTPHONES:
Make sure your smartphones are turned off every now and then. They are just like a computer and need to be updated. Sometimes if a phone misses an update, the result is the Bluetooth connection unpairing with the car.

With BlackBerry’s, the most common troubleshoot is to remove the battery from the phone, blow on it and turn the phone back on. Yes it’s a PITA because BB takes forever to load, but it typically works. If this doesn't work either, you can try repairing the phone:

MY PHONE HAS BEEN PAIRED BUT NOT WORKING:
If the phone is not working (but already paired), a common troubleshoot is the bluetooth on the phone could be turned off (happens on mine from time to time). Set the phone to discoverable mode and make sure the bluetooth is set to "on". You should see the bluetooth symbol somewhere on the phones top banner.
Old 05-06-12, 05:42 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had that issue. Try what Hoovey suggested
Old 05-13-12, 01:34 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Thank you very much for your effort! I have tried this and the problem is still there.

To be more clear, I have no problem with connection at all. The phone will connect automatically when I start my car.

The problem is that if someone calls me and I picks up the phone, it will not end the call even though the call is actually ended. I call this being in "conversation mode". Therefore, I can't use voice command anymore. It will not happen if I call others, it only happens if someone calls me.

Note: My car is brand new IS250 2012 with navigation and F Sport package.
Old 05-13-12, 10:07 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Thank you very much for your effort! I have tried this and the problem is still there.

To be more clear, I have no problem with connection at all. The phone will connect automatically when I start my car.

The problem is that if someone calls me and I picks up the phone, it will not end the call even though the call is actually ended. I call this being in "conversation mode". Therefore, I can't use voice command anymore. It will not happen if I call others, it only happens if someone calls me.

Note: My car is brand new IS250 2012 with navigation and F Sport package.
hmm I'm sorry the troubleshooting didn't work

One more possibility I can think of is too try pairing a 2nd phone. If it works, then the problem exists with your phone which may not be compatible (Blackberry's and Samsungs have the biggest problems with our cars). If the 2nd phone doesn't work, its possible (though extremely rare) that the bluetooth on the car is broken which will require a trip to the dealer. Though I guarantee they'll probably run through at least some of the troubleshooting tips I posted above before they conclude there's a problem with the cars bluetooth system.
Old 05-13-12, 10:31 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

@Hoovey2411 Thank you so much for all your tips. My phone is Sony. I tried it with iPhone, Sam Sung... all of these still have the same problem--If someone calls me and i picks it up the phone in my car, the call will stays on forever (in conversation mode) even when the call is actually disconnected so I can't use command voice button anymore.

I am trying to go to the dealership once again right now to see if they can fix this.
Old 05-13-12, 11:39 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by FSportIS
@Hoovey2411 Thank you so much for all your tips. My phone is Sony. I tried it with iPhone, Sam Sung... all of these still have the same problem--If someone calls me and i picks it up the phone in my car, the call will stays on forever (in conversation mode) even when the call is actually disconnected so I can't use command voice button anymore.

I am trying to go to the dealership once again right now to see if they can fix this.
No problem. Coincidentally up until yesterday I had never had a problem with a cars Bluetooth system, it was always the phone. Well I had an IS250 non navi yesterday come in and the car wouldn't even sync up to the phone. The farthest it would get was the passcode and then it would "spin it's wheels" trying to sync. I referred it to our service department and am awaiting the diagnosis. Not exactly your problem but somewhat related. First time I've come across an issue like this
Old 09-24-12, 10:37 AM
Ca1vN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i seem to have a problem with my voice recognition, it never seems to understand what im saying also the volume is really low. and when calling the dialing tone ringing and has static when calling.

any solutions for these?
Old 09-24-12, 06:29 PM
cbishop11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "call is ended", but I always end the call by pressing the hangup button on the steering wheel, even if the other party hangs up first. I've never had a problem while doing this.
Old 09-25-12, 05:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used a Motorola RAZR, Blackberry Pearl and iPhone 4 with my '07 IS--I have never had this issue in 5.5 years. I almost always terminate the call with the hangup button on the steering wheel.