IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Michelin Primacy MXM4 on a IS250 AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-12, 11:07 PM
panjfj
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Lexus's recommendation is more geared toward performance. In doing so, the tire has to work harder, therefore reduces tire life.

To maximize tire life (my tire tech recommended me), a recommended would be 38-40 front, 36-38 rear as the tire does not have to work as hard.
why more in the front than rear?
Old 05-13-12, 10:22 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I avoid high pressures on Lexus sedans as ride gets jittery or choppy on highways and back roads. Too high and u will wear out center thread too fast.
Old 05-13-12, 12:09 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by panjfj
why more in the front than rear?
Probably because fo the load.

My tires are wearing pretty good in front and back with the pressures from the tech and I do get the tires check every few thousand miles to monitor them.
Old 05-13-12, 02:35 PM
panjfj
Rookie

can someone recommend a good touring tire please?

I am looking at the MXM4s..
Old 05-13-12, 07:20 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably because fo the load.
That's actually why his suggestion doesn't make much sense for an ISx50.

makes sense for a FWD car that has most of its weight in front due to the transaxle and applies driveline power to those wheels too.

Not so much a RWD car where it's 52/48 weight balance, and 100% of the driveline force is applied to the rear wheels.

38 front, 40 rear, is what my alignment/tire guy suggested, and what I've run the last 15k or so.
Old 05-13-12, 08:15 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz

makes sense for a FWD car that has most of its weight in front due to the transaxle and applies driveline power to those wheels too.

Not so much a RWD car where it's 52/48 weight balance, and 100% of the driveline force is applied to the rear wheels.

38 front, 40 rear, is what my alignment/tire guy suggested, and what I've run the last 15k or so.
I'll have to go ask my tech about it as I never actually questioned it since I did not experiecne tire issues with the way they are currently set. It has also been set this way for the IS250 AWD and my dad's GS300.
Old 05-13-12, 09:02 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll have to go ask my tech about it as I never actually questioned it since I did not experiecne tire issues with the way they are currently set. It has also been set this way for the IS250 AWD and my dad's GS300.
AWD I could maybe understand if it's a vehicle with a front-heavy system- that'd be the same issues as FWD- there's front-heavy transmission stuff going on and the front wheels actually get power applied to em.

But the IS and GS, even the AWD ones, are RWD biased I believe, hence the factory recommendation for higher rear pressure (even if it's too low overall)... something FWD-biases like an AWD RX350 might be a different case (I dunno, don't have one to check the recommended pressures)

Last edited by Kurtz; 05-14-12 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-14-12, 05:41 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

I replaced my OEm re92s with general gmax as-03 tires. Don't laugh! They are excellent tires for the price, offer superlative grip and handling, at the expense of mild increase in road noise.

As for pressure, last I checked the AWD should be 35 front, 38 back.
Old 05-14-12, 05:56 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Originally Posted by mrraider
i replaced my oem re92s with general gmax as-03 tires. Don't laugh! They are excellent tires for the price, offer superlative grip and handling, at the expense of mild increase in road noise.

As for pressure, last i checked the awd should be 35 front, 38 back.
that is correct, i usually put a pound or two higher, because that dumb light always comes when the temp drops.
Old 05-14-12, 09:28 AM
Sango
Pole Position

AWD I could maybe understand if it's a vehicle with a front-heavy system- that'd be the same issues as FWD- there's front-heavy transmission stuff going on and the front wheels actually get power applied to em.
I overlooked the most recent report which my dad's car was re-aligned. The preasure has been set as 40 for both front and rear.

Currently waiting for a reply regarding the RWD.
Old 05-15-12, 10:19 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Found out from my tech. Explained in a cut down version to me.

It was set this way because of more city driving compared to highway driving. The higher pressure at the front is to lower the rolling resistance so the tires so they do not have to work because of turning. This will maximize the longevity of the tire.

If I call correctly, if it were more for freeway driving, then it would have it flipped the other way with the rears being higher.
Old 05-16-12, 07:31 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Not needed. The IS 250 awd is a very well balanced car. It chews through front and rear tires at a very uniform rate. Even the front and rear brakes wear evenly.
Old 05-16-12, 08:26 PM
Sango
Pole Position

^
Can you clarify what you mean by that. By simple phyiscs in pretty much any car, the front tires will wear faster than the rears.
Old 05-16-12, 08:34 PM
panjfj
Rookie

^
Can you clarify what you mean by that. By simple phyiscs in pretty much any car, the front tires will wear faster than the rears.
depends if it is a RWD, FWD or AWD.
Old 05-16-12, 09:04 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by panjfj
depends if it is a RWD, FWD or AWD.
No, it's not dependent on that. Even if it was... it's not comparable to what the front tires are experiencing compared to the rear in terms of friction. Can easily replicate testing your own hand.

What is happening when you steer the car and turning? You're changing the camber, which is variable camber. The rear does not steer so the cambers is fixed, it does not change.

Last edited by Sango; 05-16-12 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Michelin Primacy MXM4 on a IS250 AWD?