IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Michelin Primacy MXM4 on a IS250 AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 08:17 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by panjfj
other than the DWS which all season tires would you put on the 2IS then?

Thanks
dws is the 2nd rated all season tire behind michelin pilot, which are double the price. i wouldnt use anything else for all season for awd cars, they need that snow rating when it snows. other than a dedicated summer or snow tire, these cant be beat for the money.
Old 05-07-12, 09:27 AM
cchase231
Driver School Candidate

I have the mxm4s on my car right now. I was hoping that they would be nice and quiet, however that has not been my experience. On certain types of pavement they roar so loud I was starting to think I have a bad wheel bearing. Also, 1 year into them (about 10,000 miles) I had two of them bubble badly and one of them blow out on the highway. That is not necessarily the fault of the tires as Michigan roads are littered with pot holes, but I don't recall hitting any major pot holes and I am the only driver of my car. The tires are a little squirmy at higher speeds, they seem to like to pull you side to side, it feels similar to when you get hit by a gust of wind. I think I have the same vibration that you are talking about. It is slight at high speeds, but noticeable. I had an alignment done, wheels checked and tires balanced twice, once at discount tire and once at the Lexus dealership, but none of it remedied the problem. It was present before I had the mxm4s put on and I thought the new tires might fix it, then I thought maybe a wheel was bad, but both shops said they were fine. Now I'm thinking it's wither a wheel bearing or something in the brakes (which will need changing soon). Wish I could be more help because I know how annoying especially when the shops and dealership make you feel like you're be an **** retentive jackass.
Old 05-07-12, 09:39 AM
panjfj
Rookie

glad to hear about your review! And also nice to hear that u are from MI.

Good thing i have a great relationship with Lexus of Ann Arbor. Right now, they are going to do a full inspection of the bearings and struts for me and also going to do a proper high speed road force balance. Basically the best balance I can get.

They are still attributing the Continentals. I guess they dont know how good the ratings are but that is what they are saying. However, they want to help me out and I appreciate that. Sadly there is no other clear winner other than the DWS. I might consider the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S which is also getting pretty good reviews. I dont know if i should go to a High performance or touring tire vs a ultra high performance one though.
Old 05-07-12, 11:53 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
Go Michelin Super Sport.
Old 05-07-12, 01:00 PM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

well now that your on the subject of vibration, i brought my car about a month ago, and it would have a little vibration at about 50 for the first few minutes of driving then completely stop altogether once it got warm on my stock rims. i brought brand new rims and tires (dws) and had them professionaly balanced and they do the same thing for only the first few minutes of driving and then dont do it the rest of the time. i thought it might be a bad bearing, so im curious now that you guys are experiencing the same thing.but i now for sure its neither the rim or tire.
Old 05-07-12, 01:56 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Depending on mileage it could be bearing. Typically bearings last up to 80K miles / 128-9K kilometers before they would need to be replaced. Could be shorter or longer depending on how it was driven.
Old 05-07-12, 10:47 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Just noticed panjfj, you have this posted in my.is as well.
Old 05-09-12, 04:28 PM
panjfj
Rookie

so here is a follow up. My local discount tire has agreed to give me credit on my DWS as they say that a couple of them are out of spec- not round. Which may be the cause for the high speed shimmers.

So now, i need to pick another tire and I do not think that i will go for the DWS again. I read a lot about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and am concerned with the drifting, noise and thread life. Tire rack rates the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS pretty highly, but there are not many reviews on them with the IS250s.

Should i even consider t touring tire as opposed to a ultra high performance tire? Possibly a Turanza Serenity

I appreciate the comments on buying specific winter and summer tires, but that is not an option for me now.

I am most concerned with noise, comfort, vibrations and thread wear. I do not take corners very fast and am not an aggressive driver. Can someone please help me out? I have about 12 hrs to email the store back to make a decision on which tire to order.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by panjfj; 05-09-12 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 04:46 PM
Sango
Pole Position

So now, i need to pick another tire and I do not think that i will go for the DWS again. I read a lot about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and am concerned with the drifting, noise and thread life. Tire rack rates the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS pretty highly, but there are not many reviews on them with the IS250s....
I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on when I had an 07 IS250 AWD as well (sold it to family member). It drove pretty well, didn't really notice any issues about drifting and noise. To this day, still has plenty of life.
Old 05-09-12, 04:48 PM
panjfj
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sango
I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on when I had an 07 IS250 AWD as well (sold it to dad). It drove pretty well, didn't really notice any issues about drifting and noise. To this day, still has plenty of life.
thanks... any reviews or input on the Potenza RE970AS
Old 05-09-12, 04:52 PM
Sango
Pole Position

I never personally had or used the tires so I am unable to give provide you with an answer. There maybe other members who maybe using this tire who could answer.
Old 05-09-12, 04:59 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I currently have the Continental DWS on my IS250 after reading rave reviews. I agree that it is a great tire for snow, winter, wet and dry. However, there are some annoyances which i am willing to trade off slightly considering i am moving from Michigan to Southern IN where there would be substantially less snow.

Currently with my DWS, i am getting a high speed shimmer and vibration. The vibration would come on at about 82mph, go away after that and come on again just before 90 mph. I have had my tires zero balanced and road forced at my local dealership and i know my rims are 100% good because they are almost brand new stock rims after being replaced from corrosion. Also, i feel that comfort is quite low going over asphalt roads and stripes on the filled up cracks on the Michigan roads.

The dealership attributes it to the aggressive pattern on the tires and basically telling me that i should put on a touring tire. Like the Michelin Primacy MXM4. I am certainly not an aggressive driver and dont take corners very fast, i would say that i am a normal to spirited driver.

I recently drove the 2013 GS with the Primacy MXM4s and feel that they are pretty good, however, the road nice seemed higher at higher speeds.

I am not sure what to do here, and hope that someone can chime in with some thoughts. My concern is really the high speed shimmer which i am trying to get rid off.

Hello, I had bad Continental DWS tires that could cause my BMW to vibrate at different speed. It was the worse batch of tires I have ever bought. Even with the road force balancing, replacing defective out of round DWS (>20 lbs) car would vibrate on the highways around Southeast Michigan where I live. I also have a 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport with 19 inch rims and I put some Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires on them and they are very smooth. My F-Sport had terrible Bridgestone Turanza tires (riding on rocks/stones) and gave a poor ride compared to a premium/luxury GS350 with Primacy MXM4 that you mentioned. Thus, with my Primacy MXM4, my 2013 GS F-Sport is great to drive and ride in now. However I have 2 out of round Primacy MXM4s right now but tirerack has sent out 3 replacement tires for me to get the bad tires replaced. The vibration I am getting is very small but annoying. ITs surprising that with Michelin quality control that I get bad tires but they are nothing like the those horrible DWS that shook my BMW 5 alot last year. I recommend the Primacy MXM4s. I avoided the Pilot Sport A/S because they are noisy and do not do good in snow. They also caused my 3GS sedan to pull to right a bit even after alignment and replacement of the culprit tires.
Old 05-09-12, 04:59 PM
panjfj
Rookie

Sango, have u heard of this drifting problem on the Michelins?
Old 05-09-12, 05:02 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Excellent tires. Road force perfectly with no issues. Very smooth, quiet and great handling. We put them on my father's 2006 Audi A8L with 19 inch rims and I am very impressed with this new model 970 A/S.

Last edited by Rexus300; 05-09-12 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 05:04 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

i cant pin point it...

Also, my discount tire cannot seem to balance my tires. They do a terrible job and have been in multiple times, after which i give up and pay my lexus dealer. That is another problem.. Is this something my lexus dealer can do?

Is it likely anything mechanical with my car can cause this as opposed to the tires?
I hate discount tire! They have not once ever balanced my car tires/rims properly in southeast Michigan area. I go to my own Lexus dealer (Ann Arbor with Ramney Miller or Meade Lexus with Don Allen) and they get me the most experience tech in road force balancing to give me smooth rides. Cost more but well worth it!

I recommend Bridgestone Potenza RE970 A/S or Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires for Michigan roads and the all seasons.

I get all my tires from tirerack.com. The tires are shipped quickly overnight to my dealers for installation. Tirerack customer service always respond to concerns and even send out free replacement tires to my dealer so I can get bad tires replaced (rarely happens) and send back the defective tire free of charge with UPS pick up service. The reviews and guidance by tirerack representatives are much better than any other tire distributor. I will never never buy tires from Discount tire anymore. They are a poor bunch of low trained workers and take too long to address your concerns. They sold me 2 sets of bad tires and kept balancing them few times before I forced them to refund me.

Last edited by Rexus300; 05-09-12 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Michelin Primacy MXM4 on a IS250 AWD?