IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 vs 550i

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 09:19 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ETC power I thought was more designed for towing and such, no?
Old 05-03-12, 09:32 PM
Herofmine
Pole Position

Originally Posted by syzygy
Like Kurtz said, 1/4 tank gas, no spare tire (to remove as much weight as possible). Make sure your car is obviously warmed up to operating temperature (this may sound like a no-brainer, but I've seen members on this forum complain about losing to lesser cars because they tried to race one a minute after a cold start).

Traction control off, ECT-Normal. Don't try to launch the car by brake torquing. There's a good chance you'll fail.

Instead, suggest to your friend that you want to do a race not quite from 0 but from a 3-5 MPH rollout. Rollout at 3-5 MPH for 3 seconds (counting down), and then go. This will give both of you a much better chance of accelerating cleanly to start.

The IS350 and 550i are very evenly matched.

IS350 Acceleration:

2008 550i Acceleration:

According to these tests, you'll reach 80 MPH in 8.3 seconds having traveled 181.1 meters, while the 550 will have reached 80 MPH in 8.2 seconds having traveled 180.5 meters.

It's really really close.

Looking at the tables again, 0 to 70 MPH is the best comparison because both cars reach 70 MPH at the exact same time (6.5 seconds). The IS350 by 70 MPH will have traveled 124.5 meters compared to 123.5 meters for the 550i. 3 foot difference.

You'll be ahead by a hair by 70 MPH. Anything beyond that, you'll lose. I wouldn't put money on this race if I were you. These are two very evenly matched cars. The IS350 has a hair of an edge in the 0 to 60 realm, so having a strong start (3-5 MPH rollout) is essential.

If you don't start strong, you'll lose every time. The only advantage the IS350 has is in the 0 to 80 MPH realm (really 0 to 60, actually). Your friend is right to be confident, although I think he's probably underestimating the IS350 a bit.

The fact is, both cars are even under optimal conditions, and it's easier for the 550i to overcome a poor launch from the start because the 550i is simply stronger after 80 MPH.

Fractions of a second matter. If you were to start .2 or .3 seconds before your friend, you'd win the race. If he started .2 or .3 seconds before you, he'd win the race (assuming this isn't really going to be done at the track).
Ok great, so what about high octane gas?

Don't even bother then, you'll lose every time.

Why would you willingly make your car slower? ECT Normal yields faster acceleration than ECT Power.
Ouuu thanks for advice! Then why on power mode feels that car is pulling more or going faster?
Old 05-04-12, 05:52 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Herofmine
Ok great, so what about high octane gas?
The car is designed for 91.

Anything lower will slow you down, anything higher is useless.

Originally Posted by Herofmine
Ouuu thanks for advice! Then why on power mode feels that car is pulling more or going faster?
Your imagination.

Power output is identical in both cases.

But ECT-Power will shift at a lower RPM in a 0-to-some-speed floor the gas race... which is the opposite of what you want.

Normal mode for the quickest 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

Originally Posted by phillimt
ETC power I thought was more designed for towing and such, no?

No.

In fact it mentions at least 2 or 3 times in the owners manual to never tow with an ISx50.

Power mode is useful in part-throttle and on/off throttle and brake type driving. (ie weaving through traffic type stuff) not drag racing.

Here's what ECT-Power actually does, straight from Lexus:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5807368-post24.html
Old 05-04-12, 05:59 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I still haven't seen on here what you're actually racing - I assume a quarter mile? It would be extremely difficult and somewhat silly to race to 60. So what are the specific terms of the race? That will influence your chances, since the IS may have an edge at the beginning but the 550i will pull harder for longer.

Make sure to follow the advice of syzygy and Kurtz above. And more than anything else, make sure to report back here afterwards. Don't let us down!
Old 05-04-12, 08:29 AM
phillimt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The car is designed for 91.

No.

In fact it mentions at least 2 or 3 times in the owners manual to never tow with an ISx50.

Power mode is useful in part-throttle and on/off throttle and brake type driving. (ie weaving through traffic type stuff) not drag racing.

Here's what ECT-Power actually does, straight from Lexus:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5807368-post24.html
Ah, thanks for the heads up. I'd never try to tow with my IS, just figured that feature was designed for something like that... havent seen it in other than Lexus cars..

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I still haven't seen on here what you're actually racing - I assume a quarter mile? It would be extremely difficult and somewhat silly to race to 60. So what are the specific terms of the race? That will influence your chances, since the IS may have an edge at the beginning but the 550i will pull harder for longer.

Make sure to follow the advice of syzygy and Kurtz above. And more than anything else, make sure to report back here afterwards. Don't let us down!
Yes, results please!
Old 05-04-12, 09:47 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure have someone video tape it and post it back on his facebook. LOL
Good Luck!
Old 05-04-12, 10:28 AM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanna see this! gonna be a close race, 1/8mile-1/4mile you might get him since the BMW is too heavy.. but ur reaction time gonna be a huge factor!
Good Luck
Old 05-04-12, 10:45 AM
Mikaveli
Rookie

power mode quarter mile race,while towing? lmfaoo that'd be hilarious to see
Old 05-04-12, 11:09 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others said, let the ECU shift for you... it can shift alot faster than you. Keep it in D.

ECT to Normal Mode... it will hold the gear longer and gives you more usable power. Don't use ECT - Power Mode which will shift faster, but you miss that usable power range.

Disable Traction Control...

Kurtz already nailed down the basics you need to be doing. Go practice a few times on launching your car properly. Over-rev and you waste precious time spinning your wheels. Under-rev and you'll be slow off the line. You got to find that sweet spot for your tires...
Old 05-04-12, 01:14 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

so much fail in this thread. just go to the "track" line up next to him, take off VSC TRAC and DONT brake launch, you wont get it down right.

KURTZ
I know your a god when it comes to these cars but ETC POWER (under FULL pedal depression) actually makes your gear last longer not shorter. Still I would leave it on D and not touch anything else but the TRAC/VSC off button....

and if you cant seem to beat him out of the whole, ask him to do a 20 mph race... use the paddle shifters (1st gear) to hold you at a contanst high rpm, count to 3 and drop the hammer.
Old 05-04-12, 01:15 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

also remove alllllllll your engine covers prior to the race. and believe it or not. KEEP YOUR WINDOWS CLOSED.
Old 05-04-12, 05:19 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

If you so much as touch the paddles, you'll lose every time if you don't know what they do. They're not paddle shifters, and they have absolutely 0 utility in a 0 - x MPH race.
This is correct. Only thing you want to do to prepare for the race is to turn off traction control. Leave everything else the same(shifter in D, ECT normal). You should lower your tire pressure to around 30psi in the rear to improve traction. Brake torquing before the start to around 2k to 2.5k rpm's will give you the best launch. You can safely brake torque for 3 secs without damaging the transmission but I wouldn't do it any longer than that.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Old 05-04-12, 05:26 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
KURTZ
I know your a god when it comes to these cars but ETC POWER (under FULL pedal depression) actually makes your gear last longer not shorter. Still I would leave it on D and not touch anything else but the TRAC/VSC off button....
No, it does not. You can verify it for yourself. In ECT Power, it will shift at 6300 rpms under full throttle, ECT normal it will go to redline.

ECT Power is for tracking your car on a course, not straight line racing.
Old 05-04-12, 05:29 PM
slownlow07
Driver

Good info, boss man has a 2011 535.
Old 05-04-12, 06:45 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

so much fail in this thread

yes, and you're about to engage in some yourself

KURTZ
I know your a god when it comes to these cars but ETC POWER (under FULL pedal depression) actually makes your gear last longer not shorter.
Demonstrably incorrect.

Datalogging has shown that ECT Power shifts sooner than Normal does.

Here's the data from Gernby-

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3042656-post38.html

ECT-Power shifts sooner. Which is why it sucks for a drag race.

See also all the fastest 1/4 mile times being run in Normal mode on the 2IS

Quick Reply: IS350 vs 550i