IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP! Suggestions Needed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 10:06 AM
IamNate
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Suggestions Needed...

I received a call on Saturday that the dealer I purchased my car from (July 2011) it is a IS250 AWD, wants to buy my car from me. I want to get a IS350 but the price difference in payments is throwing me off a little bit. Right now my payments are just barely over 400 a month and getting into a IS350 AWD will increase my payments by 140.00 a month. Would it be worth it, is there ways that I could get the dealer to drop the price even more (without coming up with more down payment). Reason I am posting is looking for Pros and Cons of doing this transaction... Any input would help, thanks all.
Old 04-30-12, 10:56 AM
sallydrive
Driver

Nobody can really tell you what to do. Just factor in the higher monthly payment, insurance, and gas and see if that fits into your budget. If the car is the same eye to eye, and only the engine changes, your not going to be loosing out on anything, must maybe the AWD.
Old 04-30-12, 11:32 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In your post you pretty much just laid out all the relevant information. Now the only thing is for you to make a decision based on the criteria you've laid out, and only you will be able to make that decision because it comes down mainly to your own personal financial situation.

Transaction Pros:
- Get an IS350 - quicker, more fun car

Transaction Cons:
- Higher monthly payment
- Lower gas mileage
- Potentially higher insurance cost
- Transaction costs (paperwork, fees, etc)

There's really not much more than that.

I do want to point out that you shouldn't be considering this just because your dealer called you up to say they wanted to buy your car. They do that for everyone. Those calls are made and notices sent out nearly on a monthly basis. So there's nothing special about you or your car, despite what they might tell you. So make the decision based not on what the dealer tries to say, but on your own situation.

Also keep in mind that you will get much more for your car in a private sale than a dealer trade, though there are some tax considerations.
Old 04-30-12, 11:35 AM
tonycard
Rookie

YES! The is350 is so much more fun then the 250,if you have the extra 140 a month i would strongly encourage the upgrade.
Old 04-30-12, 11:46 AM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the 350, dont worry bout gas there is no change, specially if you have 250 you go harder on your gas you gana use more gas anyway, is there any package difference between the 350 and 350?
Old 04-30-12, 11:55 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you do change, go with RWD, therefore you won't have free MPG hit for using AWD and also you will get a sportier ride.

What is your primary use of this car? Long distance? Short distance? Are you looking for fuel economy or performance?

Also would try the two cars out first for your best choice.
Old 04-30-12, 12:06 PM
IamNate
Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
In your post you pretty much just laid out all the relevant information. Now the only thing is for you to make a decision based on the criteria you've laid out, and only you will be able to make that decision because it comes down mainly to your own personal financial situation.

Transaction Pros:
- Get an IS350 - quicker, more fun car

Transaction Cons:
- Higher monthly payment
- Lower gas mileage
- Potentially higher insurance cost
- Transaction costs (paperwork, fees, etc)

There's really not much more than that.

I do want to point out that you shouldn't be considering this just because your dealer called you up to say they wanted to buy your car. They do that for everyone. Those calls are made and notices sent out nearly on a monthly basis. So there's nothing special about you or your car, despite what they might tell you. So make the decision based not on what the dealer tries to say, but on your own situation.

Also keep in mind that you will get much more for your car in a private sale than a dealer trade, though there are some tax considerations.
I have thought of those situations and still at a standstill, I guess if the dealer cannot meet my needs for what I want then I will just wait, heck I have only had the car for 10 months lol

Originally Posted by tonycard
YES! The is350 is so much more fun then the 250,if you have the extra 140 a month i would strongly encourage the upgrade.
This is what I want, more power for the fun of it lol.

Originally Posted by Shervin350
get the 350, dont worry bout gas there is no change, specially if you have 250 you go harder on your gas you gana use more gas anyway, is there any package difference between the 350 and 350?
There are a couple of differences, the 350 has the Lux PKG with/nav, color is different. My current car is Smoky Granite MIca (which I love) and the 350 is Starfire Pearl. Interior is black on the 350 compared to light gray in my 250. Yea gas mileage is going to be about the same, so I just need to figure out numbers and see if it worth it or not.

Originally Posted by Sango
If you do change, go with RWD, therefore you won't have free MPG hit for using AWD and also you will get a sportier ride.

What is your primary use of this car? Long distance? Short distance? Are you looking for fuel economy or performance?

Also would try the two cars out first for your best choice.
In my area, RWD is not available unless I go to south east or west states to get one. I wouldnt mind getting a RWD though Idaho has some harsh winters and the dealer said it would not save me much in the long run because I would have to pay for freight to get a RWD here. My primary use of the car is my daily, to work and back (12 miles round trip) and on average 500+ mile trips on a monthly basis. I am definitely looking for power and I think this is what the problem is, my IS just doesn't have enough oomph lol. I think back and if the dealer had any 350's in stock at the time of my purchase I would have got that instead of my 250. (secretly inside I have been regretting the 250).
Old 04-30-12, 12:11 PM
tonycard
Rookie

Definitely go for the upgrade, you will not regret it. Also try and find a IS350 with the sport package and then throw an F Sport intake on it and you will be extremely satisfied with your decision
Old 04-30-12, 12:13 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In your case, i'd say the extra $140 a month is worth having a 350 with the Luxury package and nav.

I'm sure you can negotiate the dealer better and bring that $140 a month down (without changing payment terms) all just by negotaiting on the base price of the car. SFP w/Black interior is a great color combo too. But this is mostly a personal decision too, if the car is worth an extra $140 a month over your current IS, TO YOU, then I say go for it. If you think you have better things to spend $140 a month on, don't bother
Old 04-30-12, 12:28 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IamNate
In my area, RWD is not available unless I go to south east or west states to get one. I wouldnt mind getting a RWD though Idaho has some harsh winters and the dealer said it would not save me much in the long run because I would have to pay for freight to get a RWD here. My primary use of the car is my daily, to work and back (12 miles round trip) and on average 500+ mile trips on a monthly basis. I am definitely looking for power and I think this is what the problem is, my IS just doesn't have enough oomph lol. I think back and if the dealer had any 350's in stock at the time of my purchase I would have got that instead of my 250. (secretly inside I have been regretting the 250).
See if you can negociate to have the transportation lowered or waved to get the RWD. The dealer is most likely trying to promote the cars they have on their lot to sell to the customer instead of being by your side.

In the long run, the RWD would save you on the fuel. As far as the hash winters, not much of a problem if you get a pair of winter tires. Our winters our bad as well, up in Vancouver, and Seattle.
Old 04-30-12, 12:54 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Calvin said this is a routine phonecall. Dont let them make you believe that they need YOUR car.

I dont agree that all the relevant information has been laid out,

1. Are you leasing? finance?
2. What are the current terms? months, interest, etc....
3. Sale price of said IS350

If you're financing, find out what they are doing to get your payments to be $140 more.
Dealerships can work their "magic" to make it seem good to you but in the back end it could turn up to be a horrible scenario.

HONESTLY, unless your usually speeding up and down the highway the extra 100HP is not worth the $140, personally I drive an IS350 and apart from the occasional rush of wanting to step on it, I never use the extra power.
Old 04-30-12, 01:23 PM
ZeroSeVen
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know your itching to get your hands on a brand new IS350.

But it would make more sense to hold off until the gen 3 ISx50 comes out. If you don't like the 3rd Gen then you can always negotiate for an IS350 that they still have in inventory and you will more likely to strike a better deal than what they're offering you now.
Old 05-01-12, 05:44 AM
IamNate
Driver

Originally Posted by ZeroSeVen
I know your itching to get your hands on a brand new IS350.

But it would make more sense to hold off until the gen 3 ISx50 comes out. If you don't like the 3rd Gen then you can always negotiate for an IS350 that they still have in inventory and you will more likely to strike a better deal than what they're offering you now.
Yea you probably are right decision, probably best if i wait for year end clearance or something similar. Thanks all for your comments, it has brought me back to what the right decision is.
Old 05-01-12, 06:23 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IamNate
I have thought of those situations and still at a standstill, I guess if the dealer cannot meet my needs for what I want then I will just wait, heck I have only had the car for 10 months lol
If you've weighed these pros and cons and are still undecided, then consider this. Going the 350 route entails higher risk that can't adequately be captured in a pros/cons list. For example, what if you have some emergency come up and get into a tight financial situation? If you do the transaction, you're now obligated to higher car payments.

It's clear if you're still undecided that the fun aspect of the 350 isn't enough to outweigh the higher payments, higher insurance, lower mileage, etc. Therefore if you factor in the added risk of going with the 350, this should tilt you away from the transaction.
Old 05-01-12, 08:18 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Calvin brings up a good point about the financial piece.

Just to add on top, if your debt to net income is still within reasonable limits that you have room for emegency or for important things. then it would be ok. If not, then you should wait until you're within the zone to do so.

Quick Reply: HELP! Suggestions Needed...