IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What is my 07' IS350 worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 04:26 PM
uconn99
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is my 07' IS350 worth?

I am considering trading in or selling private party but don't know what to ask or sell for. KBB shows anywhere from 17-22K but with my additional addon's I am wondering what I can get.

Year- 2007
Make- IS350
Mileage- 70,000
Warranty- Certfied pre-owned warranty through 2013 or 100,000 miles
Color- Tungsten Pearl w/ black interior
Options- X Package w/Navigation.
Addon's- XM Radio, F-Sport intake, F-Sport Xhaust.

I am in the process of putting on new front brakes, parts have already been ordered and rear brakes were changed 1 year ago. Car went through 65,000 service @ Lexus dealer in August.

I also just purchased Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires less than a week ago and car is in overall good condition.

Thoughts?
Old 04-22-12, 05:53 PM
Marexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would ask 22,000 and see what offers you get
Old 04-22-12, 09:12 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uconn99
I am considering trading in or selling private party but don't know what to ask or sell for. KBB shows anywhere from 17-22K but with my additional addon's I am wondering what I can get.

Year- 2007
Make- IS350
Mileage- 70,000
Warranty- Certfied pre-owned warranty through 2013 or 100,000 miles
Color- Tungsten Pearl w/ black interior
Options- X Package w/Navigation.
Addon's- XM Radio, F-Sport intake, F-Sport Xhaust.

I am in the process of putting on new front brakes, parts have already been ordered and rear brakes were changed 1 year ago. Car went through 65,000 service @ Lexus dealer in August.

I also just purchased Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires less than a week ago and car is in overall good condition.

Thoughts?
I would say given your description above that you should be at the higher end of that range, around $21-22k. Definitely make sure you advertise and stress that the car will have new front brakes and brand new PS2's, which are huge selling points on a used car, particularly one popular with enthusiasts like the 350. Also, did you get spark plugs done at 60k? Stress that as well, as that's a $600 service at the dealer.

Keep in mind two things:

1) CPO warranty is not transferable to any subsequent owners. So that's not a selling point for your car:

Transferability
The Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is not transferable to any subsequent owner.

It sucks but is unfortunately true. So you won't be able to advertise it as having any warranty. HOWEVER I would advertise it as having been CPO, which could still be a selling point. Stress that because it was CPO you've had all possible work done at the dealer and have gotten every possible issue addressed under warranty. Potential buyers will know that because it was CPO, anytime an issue popped up you'd get it addressed and not just let it persist and try and cover it up during a sale. You can also advertise that if a potential buyer wants to have it inspected by a Lexus dealer prior to purchase and they find something wrong, it can be fixed for free under CPO prior to sale.

2) Your add-ons can help, hurt, or have no effect on the sale price of the car - it all depends on the buyer. In most cases, it will have no effect or might actually hurt the car. That's because the market of potential buyers that actually wants those add-ons is only a very small segment. Many may actually view it as a negative, since 1) the parts might not have been professionally installed, and 2) aftermarket parts are often seen as indicative of a car being treated more roughly.

You can maximize the positive effect of such add-ons by tailoring where you sell your car. On CL for example, those add-ons would likely help the sale price. At your local dealer though, or at Carmax, they may have no effect at all.

You might actually get more money by selling the F-Sport parts separately on CL and returning the car to stock, but that can be a pain.

My final note would be on actually selling the car. First, know your state's tax laws. Are you selling this car to get a new car? In many states, if you trade in a car to buy a different one, you only pay sales tax on the difference. But if you sell the car private party then buy a car separately, you'll pay sales tax on the full purchase price of the car. This can amount to thousands of dollars, so do your research on it. It may sway you toward trading in.

Second, regardless of how you want to ultimately sell the car or trade it in, immediately list it on eBay Classifieds and the Club Lexus classifieds (as well as any other Lexus forums you frequent). These are totally free and will give you a sense for how well your car is priced. If you price it at $22k and get no hits or negative feedback on the price, you may want to bring it down for example. List it in these free channels before ever paying for an ad on something like Cars.com or Autotrader. I listed my E55 for sale on eBay, Craigslist, and several Mercedes forums as well as on Cars.com. All of those were free except Cars.com which cost $40. I got a grand total of zero hits from Cars.com, but I got about 20 hits and ultimately 4-5 very interested parties from the other channels. So my $40 ad was basically a waste.

Good luck with your sale!

Last edited by calvin2376; 04-22-12 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 09:31 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like Calvin said, CPO warranty is not transferable so that adds $0 to the value of the car unfortunately for resale purposes. Make sure you select all the options you have when you price it on KBB and compare what it tells you for private party vs. trade in value. You should be getting somewhere around those values for the car. XM and your F-Sport accessories won't really do anything for the resale value either. In fact, selling it private party, you may even get people that don't like the intake and exhaust.

You can use the service history, new brakes and tires, etc to make for a more convincing sale of course
Old 04-22-12, 09:32 PM
uconn99
Rookie

Calvin, thanks for the great info! I did not know the warranty was not transferable, is this true for all CPO's? I had a feeling the f-sport addon's could be no benefit. I might sell and put car back to stock if needed.
Old 04-22-12, 10:37 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20k atleast. i got quoted for my 07 is350 59k miles for 23k car max.
Old 04-23-12, 06:15 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Calvin, thanks for the great info! I did not know the warranty was not transferable, is this true for all CPO's? I had a feeling the f-sport addon's could be no benefit. I might sell and put car back to stock if needed.
Yes it's true for all Lexus CPOs. I can't speak to whether other manufacturer's CPO warranty are or are not transferable.

Most people I've seen on CL get more benefit from selling their F-Sport parts and bringing the car to stock before selling. You could sell your F-Sport exhaust for someone else's stock exhaust + cash, probably $800+ as the exhaust retails new for $1,500. F-Sport exhausts don't last long in the CL classifieds. Same goes for the intake, only on a smaller scale.

Last edited by calvin2376; 04-23-12 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 06:33 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

I believe the Porsche CPO warranty is transferable in a private party sale. It is too bad Lexus doesn't take the same approach.
Old 04-23-12, 08:06 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

You could sell that down here in Florida for 25k, seen it done multiple times!
Old 04-23-12, 08:22 AM
uconn99
Rookie

I should have put the Hankook's back on instead of the super sports. At least the next owner is going to have some really nice tires. I am going to take everyone's advice and take the f-sport accessories off and possibly the XM unit.

I haven't decided if I want to make the plunge to the ISF or M3 for the next car.
Old 04-23-12, 09:10 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

KBB VALUE:

Excellent
$21,694
Very Good
$21,094
Good
$20,394
Fair
$18,394
Old 04-26-12, 09:23 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 for listing at $22k. If you want to extract maximum value, part out.
Old 04-26-12, 11:22 AM
neomedic
Pole Position

PM with question.
Old 04-26-12, 06:15 PM
starknight
Lead Lap

$22K plus 1K of your fsport exhaust and intake
Old 04-26-12, 08:23 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Wow.. didnt think there was that big of a difference between the years.. my 09' with 30k miles came out to 28.2k excellent trade.

Quick Reply: What is my 07' IS350 worth?