IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

High beams

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 06:29 AM
ninja729
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High beams

Ok i have a few questions I tried to search "diy high beam" and "diy high beams" and could not find anything.

1: In my 08 is250 after i installed the hid low beams i realized the high beams are separate. Can someone please point me in the right direction on a post about how to change those plz!

2: What do everyone use for their high beams? IE: hid conversion, sylvanian, etc etc
Old 04-22-12, 07:13 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You probably didn't find much because your high beams are the same bulbs as your daytime running lights, or DRLs. Your DRLs are the yellowish halogen lights that are on during the day and only go off if you turn your low beams on. The DRLs are just the high beams running at half-power.

This post should explain your options with the DRLs/high beams: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7157619-post6.html
Old 04-22-12, 07:21 AM
ninja729
Driver

Aww ok I understand now thanks. So they do not make HID conversions for DLRs? I guess ill try asking the dealer if they can turn them off then.

Last edited by ninja729; 04-22-12 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-22-12, 07:37 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ninja729
Aww ok I understand now thanks. So they do not make HID conversions for DLRs? I guess ill try asking the dealer if they can turn them off then.
Just get the LED replacements, they look real awesome during the day.
Old 04-22-12, 07:49 AM
ninja729
Driver

Im just not sure if they are legal in MA....
Old 04-22-12, 07:59 AM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're not any brighter than stock so I can't see why they would be illegal or why you you get hassled about them.....only problem is see is that you pretty much lose high beam functionality.

I went with blue bulbs. It lights up white at half power so it looks better than the Yellow DRLs and I can still use my highbeams (to a certain extent)
Old 04-22-12, 08:29 AM
dcl10
Driver School Candidate

You must have high beams by law, and both their functionality and aim are part the massdot safety inspection. Here is Michigan this mod is also illegal, but we don't have safety inspections so you'd have to have a pretty knowledgable cop to get ticketed for it.

It's also illegal in California by the way. My cousin who lives in Temecula got more than $800 in fines for running LEDs on his Z. There are 3 or 4 different codes they violate, most notably 24407 which states,

(a) There shall be an uppermost distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of such intensity as to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 350 feet ahead for all conditions of loading.

(b) There shall be a lowermost distribution of light, or composite beam so aimed and of sufficient intensity to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 100 feet ahead. On a straight level road under any condition of loading none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver.
Old 04-22-12, 09:05 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cybeclipse
They're not any brighter than stock so I can't see why they would be illegal or why you you get hassled about them.....only problem is see is that you pretty much lose high beam functionality.

I went with blue bulbs. It lights up white at half power so it looks better than the Yellow DRLs and I can still use my highbeams (to a certain extent)
As dcl posted above, the reason they're illegal is not because they're brighter than stock, but because you lose high beam functionality.

And going with blue bulbs adds even more violations, as every state I'm aware of makes use of front-facing blue lights of any kind illegal unless on an emergency vehicle. Having blue lights will get you ticketed far more often than not having high beams.
Old 04-22-12, 09:14 AM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
As dcl posted above, the reason they're illegal is not because they're brighter than stock, but because you lose high beam functionality.

And going with blue bulbs adds even more violations, as every state I'm aware of makes use of front-facing blue lights of any kind illegal unless on an emergency vehicle. Having blue lights will get you ticketed far more often than not having high beams.
I've had them on my IS for pretty much as long as I've had the car and no hassling from cops here in CA

The blue bulbs aren't really THAT blue when lit up...after they burned in for a bit, they lost a lot of the blueish hue. I think they were made so that the light output looks HID-ish for those who want that look, but don't want to spring for an HID kit.

The DRL output is pure white and the high-beam output is similar to stock HID color (intensity of the stock yellow bulbs are way better though). They gave me the look I was going for, without having to sacrifice my high beam functionality. The only way you can really tell these bulbs are blue are to look at them when they're off.

Anyway it's up to the OP. The LED kits look great, but its not worth losing high beam functionality over IMO.
Old 04-22-12, 04:42 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

I've had them on my IS for pretty much as long as I've had the car and no hassling from cops here in CA

The blue bulbs aren't really THAT blue when lit up...after they burned in for a bit, they lost a lot of the blueish hue. I think they were made so that the light output looks HID-ish for those who want that look, but don't want to spring for an HID kit.

The DRL output is pure white and the high-beam output is similar to stock HID color (intensity of the stock yellow bulbs are way better though). They gave me the look I was going for, without having to sacrifice my high beam functionality. The only way you can really tell these bulbs are blue are to look at them when they're off.

Anyway it's up to the OP. The LED kits look great, but its not worth losing high beam functionality over IMO.
after driving cars with lame headlights for years, the stock HID lows in High beam mode are more then sufficient, at least around here in the North East.
Old 04-22-12, 08:43 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by ninja729
O
1: In my 08 is250 after i installed the hid low beams i realized the high beams are separate. Can someone please point me in the right direction on a post about how to change those plz!
On the cars that are factory equipped with HID lights, they are not just low beams, but both low and high - that's why you'll see them referred to on the windows sticker as "bi-xenon headlights". There is a shutter in the HID housing that moves and changes the beam pattern when you switch between low and high beam mode. Yes, there is there is a pair of halogen lamps that act as both the DRL and a supplement in high beam mode; I believe this design was also chosen for the "flash to pass" feature, as rapidly cycling a HID bulb will shorten its life.
Old 04-22-12, 09:27 PM
Ktran1039
Driver

What bulbs are you talking about? Where to buy, kinda interested.