IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do I have HIDs?

Old 04-19-12, 10:04 PM
jooksingja
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have HIDs?

Hello,

I have a 2007 Lexus IS250 from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I would like to know if anyone call tell if I have HIDs just by looking at my headlight?

Thank you!
Old 04-19-12, 10:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Doesn't look like it. Turn on the headlights to see. It will be quite obvious.
Old 04-19-12, 10:16 PM
sallydrive
Driver

If your light is yellowish white, then you don't. if your light is bluish white you do! At least if it's stock bulb.

People think that just because there's a projector (ball bulb) it's a HID but that's not always the case.
Old 04-19-12, 10:35 PM
jooksingja
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the clarification guys.

If I wanted to change the headlights to a more bluish color, w/o going to the HID route, which bulbs should I be changing?
Old 04-19-12, 11:06 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

sallydrive,

Note quite because depends on when Lexus changed their stock light to Toshiba, Philips HID stock was like yellowish white as well.
----

If you hear the hum (car off) when HID is on, you have HID. Or when you turn the HID on (car off) you should hear the spark like sound.
Old 04-19-12, 11:43 PM
Kauro
Pole Position

Go with the HID route, spend another 20-30 dollar on top of what you were going to pay for the bulb. Lots of vendors here that sells the kit. You wont regret it.
Old 04-20-12, 04:10 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
sallydrive,

Note quite because depends on when Lexus changed their stock light to Toshiba, Philips HID stock was like yellowish white as well.
----

If you hear the hum (car off) when HID is on, you have HID. Or when you turn the HID on (car off) you should hear the spark like sound.
Oh, I didn't know that. But the sound thing I, forgot to mention that. Sorry, I thought I knew my answer.
Old 04-20-12, 05:45 PM
fraga
Driver School Candidate

An easy way to tell...turn them on after they've been off for a while...you should see them fade on...not instantly turn on full...and color usually gives them away...I own an 08'...and the color is a nice bright white slightly blue...halogen bulbs are usually yellowish leaning...
Old 04-20-12, 10:44 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fraga
An easy way to tell...turn them on after they've been off for a while...you should see them fade on...not instantly turn on full...and color usually gives them away...I own an 08'...and the color is a nice bright white slightly blue...halogen bulbs are usually yellowish leaning...
An even easier way to tell-

The easiest is for 2011+ cars: If you have a 350 you have HIDs, period. If you have a 250 and have LED strips you have HIDs. If you don't, you don't.

Next easiest (for 06)- If your car has memory seats, it has HIDs. If not it doesn't.

And only slightly less easy, for the 07-10 guys without memory seats (because again if you have em, you have HIDs for all years):

Look through the menu options on the multi-switch. If you see AFS ON/OFF you have HIDs. If you don't, you don't have em.

the multi-switch is the thing to the left of the steering wheel that looks like <o>

For the life of me I can't figure out why people stand around trying to judge if they have HIDs by the color of the light or the amount of hum it makes when they can just check if the AFS item is there. No AFS=No HIDs for all pre-11 years... and No LED strip=No HIDS for 11+
Old 04-21-12, 12:50 AM
Sango
Pole Position

^ Kurtz, good point. I guess you possibly the extra set to step through the menu perhaps since you have to press the on button first.

One thing that just brought to my mind is why, why does the owner not know they had HID in the first place? One could say, did not know features the car comes with before purchasing? Also once could call Lexus and asked for the spec based on the VIN# provided.
Old 04-21-12, 12:39 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
An even easier way to tell-

The easiest is for 2011+ cars: If you have a 350 you have HIDs, period. If you have a 250 and have LED strips you have HIDs. If you don't, you don't.

Next easiest (for 06)- If your car has memory seats, it has HIDs. If not it doesn't.

And only slightly less easy, for the 07-10 guys without memory seats (because again if you have em, you have HIDs for all years):

Look through the menu options on the multi-switch. If you see AFS ON/OFF you have HIDs. If you don't, you don't have em.

the multi-switch is the thing to the left of the steering wheel that looks like <o>

For the life of me I can't figure out why people stand around trying to judge if they have HIDs by the color of the light or the amount of hum it makes when they can just check if the AFS item is there. No AFS=No HIDs for all pre-11 years... and No LED strip=No HIDS for 11+
Do all HID's in all years auto level? If so, if you lights move up and down at startup, I think that's the easiest way to determine...
Old 04-21-12, 12:40 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
^ Kurtz, good point. I guess you possibly the extra set to step through the menu perhaps since you have to press the on button first.

One thing that just brought to my mind is why, why does the owner not know they had HID in the first place? One could say, did not know features the car comes with before purchasing? Also once could call Lexus and asked for the spec based on the VIN# provided.
VIN and call Lexus?? That's easier than all the other solutions? Again, if your lights move up and down for auto level, isn't that the end of the inquiry?
Old 04-21-12, 12:56 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tex2670
VIN and call Lexus?? That's easier than all the other solutions? Again, if your lights move up and down for auto level, isn't that the end of the inquiry?
I believe so but I do not recall if non HID also auto levels.