47.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: To bag or not to bag...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 02:28 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Josh, this college thing has you writing well. Just like a term paper comparing and contrasting. I'll give you an A-. Gotta leave room for a better paper.

Heyarms, you PM'd me about a supercharger that you were thinking of. What is your objective with your car? You just want a nice car? Race, show? I don't think bags would go with a show car. Jon Jon had it but don't think he ever tracked it. You're not even extremely low. What size tires do you have up front?
Old 04-19-12, 02:38 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow josh, it was like reading a story lol.
Old 04-19-12, 02:39 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Hey Josh, this college thing has you writing well. Just like a term paper comparing and contrasting. I'll give you an A-. Gotta leave room for a better paper.

Heyarms, you PM'd me about a supercharger that you were thinking of. What is your objective with your car? You just want a nice car? Race, show? I don't think bags would go with a show car. Jon Jon had it but don't think he ever tracked it. You're not even extremely low. What size tires do you have up front?

I deserve an A+++++ I did leave room, but decided to cut it short; see in blue. No disrespect to your sticker haha, first saying that came to mind that everyone says . Possibly see you Sunday amigo

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
The bags topic is another one of those ever so funny topics. Similar to Automatic VS Manual threads.

People hate on bags becuase...

1) They have never used a system before, which is ironic because how can you hate on something youve never owned?

2) Because bags only look good for parked? - Why yes they do,and also when driving. Pair a UAS bag system with a coilover and the ride is very nice, and can be driven rather low. Dumping the car when parking is just an added LUXURY

3) They drive like a boat - This is true to an extent, it all depends on what struts you use. Paired with front / rear sway / chassis brace, the car will handle fairly well, but still will suffer a MINIMAL handling loss.

4) Switches are for B-----s ? - Grow up , quit hating

5) Too complicated, Leaks, etc... As long as the installation is done correctly, you should be fine. This can be compared to dumping to low, and risk blowing a shock.

6) Static FTW why yes you do roll static. Everybody drives at a STATIC height. With bags, you just have the added LUXURY of adjusting the height if necessary, similar to those higher end cars such as Ferrari and Lamborghini with their "Nose Lift"

... I could go on and on, but the fact of the matter is it all comes down to you. "To each their own." The thing that I find funny is when everyone jumps on the bandwagon and hates on bags when they have never owned them. I have owned lowering springs, coilovers, and bags.

In my personal opinion, my bag set up has been the best suspension I have ran yet. Bags are an added LUXURY to a LUXURY vehicle.

Everyone needs to get off each others throat about these kinds of subjects, and just move on. Stop E thuggin !

Now to answer your question. I say only bag it, if your going t do it right. Going bags is not something you want to halfass. You need a good set of struts, UAS bags, tanks compressors etc, and most importantly management. Dakota or Accu air. Trust me the management makes a HUGE difference

- J
Old 04-19-12, 02:54 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hear ya Josh...to each his own. your ride looks tight, and so does mine. Two well executed cars with both suspensions. I just never thought it was worth it. Hey Arms has to make that choice but I believe there are good points mentioned in this thread by all.
Old 04-19-12, 03:00 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this thread just made it even harder for heyarms to decide.
Old 04-19-12, 03:24 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

I think for someone like heyarms that wants the parked slammed look and isnt about riding low bags are a really good option. I say go for it!
Old 04-19-12, 04:06 PM
o7iS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a GREAT thread to see the controversy between staic and bags, and I'm completely torn. Right now I'm rolling static on BC's and the ride is amazing, but there are times where I really wish I could just raise it up with a switch and get over an unexpected speed bump! If I could go back to the moment I ordered my coils, I'd probably change my mind and go UAS. I'm all about "hard parked", sitting low as hell period. I've never had a car even worthy of air(hondas) so I immediately went to static. Do I "regret" going static, not one bit.. but going air would've been "smarter" for the wheels/parts and plans I have for my car, so now when my wheels and lip and what not are installed at the height I'll be rolling around at people will be shocked I'm static lol.. so do what feels right! And I guess I'm voting air.
Old 04-19-12, 05:04 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great discussion going on.

Besides looks...

With bags, my draw to them is being able to raise and lower the height of the vehicle as needed, to live a normal lifestyle, of being able to go to places that a normal height car can go to. I hate how I can't drive my car to go snowboarding, and how I have to drive my fiance's Yaris to do so , amongst other things.

With coils, like llama mentioned, is the benefit of better handling, sure, not for daily driving, but I like to go canyon carving with some buddies every once in a while, which will be compromised with bags. I would drag race once in a while at the drag strip too, for the fun of it of course, with some buddies, my bosses from work, and The Pursuit event, which bags are not allowed.

But from what I gather, maybe bags would better suit your needs.
Old 04-19-12, 05:14 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Originally Posted by Individual
Great discussion going on.

Besides looks...

With bags, my draw to them is being able to raise and lower the height of the vehicle as needed, to live a normal lifestyle, of being able to go to places that a normal height car can go to. I hate how I can't drive my car to go snowboarding, and how I have to drive my fiance's Yaris to do so , amongst other things.

With coils, like llama mentioned, is the benefit of better handling, sure, not for daily driving, but I like to go canyon carving with some buddies every once in a while, which will be compromised with bags. I would drag race once in a while at the drag strip too, for the fun of it of course, with some buddies, my bosses from work, and The Pursuit event, which bags are not allowed.

But from what I gather, maybe bags would better suit your needs.
Bags arnt allowed? O.o I know a few people who were dragging on the bags ahahaa
Old 04-19-12, 05:33 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

The bags topic is another one of those ever so funny topics. Similar to Automatic VS Manual threads.

People hate on bags becuase...
Cut text for length reasons... Haha
- J
Dang Josh, thanks for all that. I found out today the vendor mis-spoke and the UAS kit doesnt co e with brackets to make it compatable with my Megan coils...they'd have to be chopped up in the rear to make them fit the bags and I don't know how good an idea that is. anyone know anyone who's done this?

Would running the UAS with Megans, with the standard switches and no real management be a terrible idea? I would eventually get one, don't get me wrong, I can afford all the goodies but I just want to spread it out because spending $3-4k on suspension just makes me regret it if bought at once.

Originally Posted by Sffd103

Man, you caught me... Honestly, I'm just bored with my car. I want to do something else major to it, but with it being my only car, I'm limited to the amount of crazy I can do, as well as the car having very few options for crazy. My objective would just be to have a car that continues to "wow" me. I don't intend for it to be a show winning car, I won't ever have the random accessories that put these cars into the VIP/show car category, and it won't ever be a track/race warrior, it's a 250 after all. So boredom just has me pushing this idea around.

Tire size up front are 225/35/19 I believe.

true story, I remember a certain individual out there proudly racing and snickering at his hidden air system in the trunk
Old 04-19-12, 05:40 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I've also seen some bag car at the drag but it looks funny bouncing like cut spring down the tracks hahaha... But bag it tag it and call it a day.
Old 04-19-12, 05:40 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

@ HeyArms - Its not a terrible idea. Just as long as you get a digital switch that has All Up, All Down, and then one for all 4 sides. This way you can align the car level and just either go all up or all down.

I hope this answers your other question

Please note the last picture was not intended for anyone. LOL. It was the welder happy we completed the project.

Old 04-19-12, 05:53 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Just throwning it out there but you ever think of getting a cup kit ? http://platinumvipmotors.com/product...om-suspension/

Last edited by 600rr05; 04-19-12 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 05:57 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

@ HeyArms - Its not a terrible idea. Just as long as you get a digital switch that has All Up, All Down, and then one for all 4 sides. This way you can align the car level and just either go all up or all down.

I hope this answers your question
The "flagship" UAS comes with a controller with 9 switches, so it can do all you mentioned. It is not digital though, and pressure gauges are not included so I imagine I would need at a minimum some analogue pressure gauges

I see you had to chop your rear coils too? I just feel like that runs the risk of weakening the shock body, so it bothers me. But it's have them cut up or get a more expensive kit that comes with shocks...
Old 04-19-12, 05:59 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 600rr05
Just throwning it out there but ever think of getting a cup kit ? http://platinumvipmotors.com/product...om-suspension/
Yes, but I want to be able to drive at a higher height. Cup kits are designed for short term lifting of the car, not for daily driving higher.

Quick Reply: POLL: To bag or not to bag...