IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2IS 07 Broken Navi Touch Screen!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 11:24 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile !!FIXED!!2IS 07 Broken Navi Touch Screen!

FIXED ISSUE CHECK POST 4!

Hey guys! My 2007 IS350 navigation with ML just died out. Everything is functional except for the touchscreen part. Nothing is responsive when I try to thumbnail the screen. Buttons like audio and etc work but the touching of the screen part does not work.

I have a few questions.

1. Is there a TSIB for this when I go to the dealer to make life easier?

2. I have a LEDGUY's dashboard setup where all my buttons are custom lit with different LED colors and etc where the audio is and etc. I read through the forums coming up with some threads but they all led to "Dealership will swap out the whole navi unit with a new one." Is there any law or any rights about me asking the dealer if I could have my old navi setup along with the swap? Meaning, instead of them throwing away my whole unit, can I ask for it so I can swap the buttons out myself in the future? Do you guys think they will make me pay or should this be free?

I still have warranty on my car and its the same dealership where I bought the car from. Some guidance would be great. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by DaKi3241; 04-24-12 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-15-12, 11:35 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Count yourself lucky that it happened while your still under warranty, you'll get a free replacement at least

But as far as keeping the old unit it, that's something you'll probably have to ask the dealer. I've never heard of anyone having to ask about having to keep the old navi. As far as i know, i don't think the units are sent out to be repaired and sold as refurbished, i've never seen any sold that way at least.... so you may very well be able to keep the old unit. The dealer is the only one that can tell you for sure though.

Worse comes to worst, you'll just have to have the buttons the Nav redone with the LEDs. But a least you didn't have to work out a couple G's to replace the navigation!!
Old 04-16-12, 05:11 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're definitely very lucky you're under warranty. As far as keeping the unit, I know if you're out of warranty and paying out of pocket, you have every right to keep the part, since all you're doing is paying for a new part and labor to replace it, so the old part is still yours. However, under warranty it might be different since you're not actually paying for the part out of pocket. There may very well be in the fine print something that states that warrantied parts must be surrendered to the dealer/Lexus, etc.

I don't think it hurts to ask, and see what the exact policy is and if you could pay to keep the part, for example.
Old 04-23-12, 10:58 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Yeah hey guys felt like I should update after the whole issue has been resolved.

So....
1. Brought in my IS350 with broken navi touch and they said to go home because my navi has been hacked, and had custom LEDs all over my dashboard by LEDGUY.

So what I did was go home and did the DIY myself even though I have my 100k warranty....

RESULT:
SUCCESS!

I rewired with the conductive pen on all 4 points of the connections to the touch screen and etched away the glass to expose the copper. Put it all back in and after a couple of tries and playing a puzzle trying to get all the wires back into the navi, IT FELT AMAZING!

If you guys need help, I think I can seriously do it for some of you guys in cali for a little cash

thanks for the help everyone and I will be enjoying my fixed navi for less than 80 bucks of material I bought it for.
Old 04-24-12, 06:09 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Hell yeah! DIY FTW! Good job.
Old 04-24-12, 07:03 PM
cdubb883
Driver

I did the fix on my navi screen and only paid for the circuit pen!!! DIY is the way to go!!!