IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone get a "noncorrectable" violation for their tinted windows

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 05:22 PM
RBnSD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone get a "noncorrectable" violation for their tinted windows

Anyone in California that has gone through this headache? I'm not sure what I have to do. I got the ticket in LA from CHP. There isn't a fine on the ticket. Only a court date [In LA and I live in San Diego... do I have to drive back up there to take care of this?]. Help

Last edited by RBnSD; 04-15-12 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-15-12, 07:13 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RBnSD
Anyone in California that has gone through this headache? I'm not sure what I have to do. I got the ticket in LA from CHP. There isn't a fine on the ticket. Only a court date [In LA and I live in San Diego... do I have to drive back up there to take care of this?]. Help
I don't live in CA; however, if the ticket is "non-correctable," that means you will have to pay the fine, whether or not you remove the tint. You can: 1) go online and see how much the ticket is, 2) call the court house and ask how much the ticket is, 3) Not pay it which could lead to a warrant for your arrest, 4) Go to the court house where the ticket was issued.

My advice, pay the ticket and fix your tint. Not worth the hassle.
Old 04-15-12, 07:22 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this happened to my friend. What he did is he fixed the tint and got a cop to sign off on the ticket then went to the court date and asked the judge to have it switched to a fix it ticket which they did and he only paid 50 bucks instead of a hundred something.
Old 04-15-12, 07:22 PM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i live in south FL and got a ticket for my tints when i went to Orlando. cop gave me the same exact citation with no fine or fix it. i had to call the number on the citation to find out how much i had to pay. you dont have to go to court, just have to pay
Old 04-15-12, 09:51 PM
eggwoll
Lead Lap

Had the same thing happen to me, you can either
1. pay for the ticket straight up and keep your tint
or
2. go to court and ask the judge to change it to a fix it ticket and remove your tints
Old 04-16-12, 01:27 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What % was the tint? If it was too dark, it was probably "high profile" for the cop to notice and decided to pull you over for it.
Old 04-16-12, 06:22 AM
RBnSD
Rookie

Thanks everyone for your input. From all you've given me the common denominator is it looks like I have to lose the tint. I'll call the courthouse and see if I can get the fine amount and hopefully this can all be handled via local CHP and USPS.

Originally Posted by Sango
What % was the tint? If it was too dark, it was probably "high profile" for the cop to notice and decided to pull you over for it.
^^
Mine are dark, my front sides are close to limo. But any % tint on your front windows in California is illegal.
Old 04-16-12, 07:51 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr05
this happened to my friend. What he did is he fixed the tint and got a cop to sign off on the ticket then went to the court date and asked the judge to have it switched to a fix it ticket which they did and he only paid 50 bucks instead of a hundred something.
Happened to my Brother in law. I took tint off and got officer signed off. He didn't went to the court, just paid ($25) at traffic window and no need to show up in court room (unless you had tinted window ticket recently)
Old 04-16-12, 08:25 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine are dark, my front sides are close to limo. But any % tint on your front windows in California is illegal.
The same similar rule also applies to Canada. If it was tinted from the factory, it's fine. For my car, it's using 40% tint so it does not make it high profile; I could of went down to 35%. As long as the officer can see the driver they don't mind from what I have heard and never had issues with the police passing by me on the road etc...

The other thing is that in WA, they allow the front/passenger side to be tinted so its fine for me.

I also have the front windsheild tinted which no one will notice because it's at 80%.

On the side, Canada tint laws is enforced because the police have the authority to cut/slash an illegal tint on the spot with a razor blade at their discretion. I've heard that some people try to explain/avoid their way out of the question why the window was tinted. Sometimes they get pulled for odd reasons (can be pulled over for probable cause) - how come your windows were down when its dark (includes sometimes dark and raining!)? One them included to the point the offer knew the driver was saying non-sense their say out that he/she instructed the driver to raise the windows up. Getting the fine is bad enough, but getting it slashed, is a more serious because you have to show that the it removed on a certain date otherwise face a few hundred dollar fine on top of the fine. The slash is a way to forcing the driver to get the illegal tint off.

Last edited by Sango; 04-16-12 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 09:29 AM
Crispy
Pole Position

Personally, I would prefer a non-correctable ticket. This means you pay the fine, but get to keep the tint. I suspect the officer saw that you were from San Diego when checking your license, and decided to do you a favor and save you the trip of driving back up to LA simply to have an officer verify that you removed the tint. The fine for a non-correctable violation may be higher than correctable, but you have to factor in the cost of removing the tint (and possibly re-tint after if you're gangsta), as well as the price of gas for you driving to and from SD/LA. I think in the end, this will end up working in your favor.
Old 04-16-12, 11:04 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy
Personally, I would prefer a non-correctable ticket. This means you pay the fine, but get to keep the tint. I suspect the officer saw that you were from San Diego when checking your license, and decided to do you a favor and save you the trip of driving back up to LA simply to have an officer verify that you removed the tint. The fine for a non-correctable violation may be higher than correctable, but you have to factor in the cost of removing the tint (and possibly re-tint after if you're gangsta), as well as the price of gas for you driving to and from SD/LA. I think in the end, this will end up working in your favor.
You don't have to take a trip to LA cause you could paid off your ticket at traffic window. My brother has tint front window at Palm Spring and he paid for the ticket at Westminster. No problem at all!!!
Old 04-16-12, 11:57 AM
RBnSD
Rookie

Originally Posted by whitebeast
You don't have to take a trip to LA cause you could paid off your ticket at traffic window. My brother has tint front window at Palm Spring and he paid for the ticket at Westminster. No problem at all!!!

Perfect thank you!
Old 04-16-12, 12:09 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whitebeast
This is true, however I believe on correctable tickets you must have the inspection done in the same jurisdiction.... meaning L.A.

You can pay the ticket online, no need to go to the traffic window.
Old 04-16-12, 01:27 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I am in the same situation as you. I got non correct tint ticket. I believe it cost $200 to post bail and you get to keep the tint. Don't even have to show up to court. All you have to do is wait till the court send you the notice of the amount it cost to pay.
Old 04-16-12, 01:36 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I am in the same situation as you. I got non correct tint ticket. I believe it cost $200 to post bail and you get to keep the tint. Don't even have to show up to court. All you have to do is wait till the court send you the notice of the amount it cost to pay.
That is correct, these are just revenue drivers for the state. Pay us if you wanna drive with tint, essentially.

Only correctable violations allow you to correct the violation, have it inspected by law enforcement, and pay a reduced fine.

Non-correctable is simply the fine, and does not allow you to correct the violation, as the name suggests. My point to RBnSD was that had the officer gave him a correctable violation, the inspection would have had to be done in the issuing county, in this case Los Angeles. Because he issued a non-correctable violation, he may simply pay the fine online from anywhere. The fine is higher, and my point was that because he did not have to prove correction of the violation in Los Angeles, the higher fine may not have been that much more relative to a correctable violation when you factor in additional costs.

In the end, you both got what you the officer issued, and you can't change it now. It sucks, I know. If it's any consolation, you get to keep your tint.

Quick Reply: Anyone get a "noncorrectable" violation for their tinted windows