IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear Caliper pins seized up - Dealer says it's not covered...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-12, 07:11 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a very easy fix for some one with basic mechanic skills. I actually found my Rear Right caliper had this while doing my LSD swap and took me 10 min to fix.
Old 04-14-12, 08:22 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MNIVET
Warm up the caliper with a Torch, it will expand the caliper bore, the Pin will break free from its "seized" state, and you can then clean out the hole, re-lube and re-assemble as necessary.

Calipers like state above are not Power train.

I work with stuck calipers at work ALL the time, easy to free-them up... just have to use a torch...

Good luck.

Caliper replacement is not necessary.
My left rear was seized when I did my pads and rotors a year and a half ago. I did all but that side, then took it to a buddy at a shop. He tried to get it off, but had no luck. Took the entire assembly (caliper and bracket) off and clamped it in a vise. Took the torch to it several times. Had the thing RED HOT, but it still wouldn't come apart. Ended up buying a new caliper from the dealer (came with the bracket). I had no idea at the time that this was a common issue. I was about 70k miles at the time. Bought mine used, so no clue as to whether the previous owner had the recall done or not.
Old 04-15-12, 05:00 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
Yes, mine had the recall done back in 08. It obviously didn't fix the issue.

It's ok, I just got two from rock auto - it'll be 80 bucks after i send the cores back
Just a word of advice, I too replaced both rear calipers with remanufactured ones (from auto parts warehouse) and driver side one started seizing about a year later and the passenger side one is doing the same now. Second time around I'm replacing with OEM ones from Sewell.
Old 04-15-12, 05:21 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if this would be covered under my CPO warranty, then I might actually bring my car to lexus to have the brakes done just because of the issues everyone is having with the caliper pins.
Old 04-15-12, 06:49 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oblivionis
Just a word of advice, I too replaced both rear calipers with remanufactured ones (from auto parts warehouse) and driver side one started seizing about a year later and the passenger side one is doing the same now. Second time around I'm replacing with OEM ones from Sewell.
Did you apply antisize to the slide pin or some type of grease. Also did you make sure the boot on the pin was attached correctly? If none of that was done the elements get in and the whole process starts all over again.
Old 07-12-12, 12:33 PM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Bringing back the old thread as I have the same issue on my 2007 is250 with 61K miles on it. I got the 9LB recall done 3 years ago at 25K miles. Contacted Lexus corporate and they asked me to drop it off at local Lexus dealer for inspection which I did today.

I've owned many different cars and I'm pretty meticulous with DIY maintenance. I've replaced brake pads and rotors for past 15 years with appropriate inspecting and greasing of the pins on those intervals and this is the first time where bottom pin on driver side rear is completed rusted. I've checked the boot and I see no tear and it appears to be seated properly. I'm not sure how it can rust so much if the boot replacement and re-greasing was done properly 3 years ago.

We'll see what Lexus says if they will cover the cost ( I assume they would have to replace the whole caliper as the bottom pin is not serviceable?)

Stay tuned.
Old 07-28-12, 11:31 AM
NastyIS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What was the verdict?

Originally Posted by TakaM
Bringing back the old thread as I have the same issue on my 2007 is250 with 61K miles on it. I got the 9LB recall done 3 years ago at 25K miles. Contacted Lexus corporate and they asked me to drop it off at local Lexus dealer for inspection which I did today.

I've owned many different cars and I'm pretty meticulous with DIY maintenance. I've replaced brake pads and rotors for past 15 years with appropriate inspecting and greasing of the pins on those intervals and this is the first time where bottom pin on driver side rear is completed rusted. I've checked the boot and I see no tear and it appears to be seated properly. I'm not sure how it can rust so much if the boot replacement and re-greasing was done properly 3 years ago.

We'll see what Lexus says if they will cover the cost ( I assume they would have to replace the whole caliper as the bottom pin is not serviceable?)

Stay tuned.
What did Lexus Corporate say?
Old 07-28-12, 01:55 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

I got mine from rock auto, cost hardly anything..
Old 07-28-12, 09:30 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine siezed on my 2006 IS350 with 79,000 miles. Dealer took care of it under the recall. This was a recall NOT just a TSB.
Old 07-28-12, 09:51 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went into my service history and it appears the previous owner had this done:

9LB REPLACE REAR BRAKE DUST BOOT BOTH SIDES GS/IS

Does this mean that the previous owner completed the recall? I would call up the dealership to ask, but it's almost 10 pm and tomorrow is sunday...don't feel like waiting 2 days to find out
Old 07-29-12, 05:31 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
Mine siezed on my 2006 IS350 with 79,000 miles. Dealer took care of it under the recall. This was a recall NOT just a TSB.
Not according to my guy and multiple people in this thread.. I guess ya got lucky
Old 07-29-12, 06:06 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a good relationship with my service dept. Lexus paid for the Calipers and labor, I paid for new pads.

A RECALL must be taken care of by the dealer.
Old 07-29-12, 06:18 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

I'm telling you, I pulled all the recalls I could and my dealership said no go. I had already had the "put a boot around the pin" recall done years ago..
Old 07-29-12, 05:40 PM
chicos80
Driver School Candidate

Default is250 caliper

i was doing the brakes on my little sister 07 when i ran into the drivers side stuck luckily i had one on a parts car and got her on her way
Old 07-30-12, 02:32 PM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NastyIS
What did Lexus Corporate say?
Initially, they asked me to "participate" in some of the cost. They also suggested that I should have both of the rear calipers replaced as they supposedly made design changes to these calipers. Lexus Corporate offered to provide the parts including new brake pads. The dealer wanted to charge me for the labor which we discussed on "discounted" rate over the phone. I did point out that if the recall was done properly, I don't think I would have this issue and for me to pay anything is fair but I just commented such and not expecting for all of the costs to be covered by Lexus.

When I went to pick up the car, I was not charged and all cost were covered under goodwill warranty as either Corporate or the dealer picked up the labor cost as well.

As a result, I got two new calipers, new brake pad sets, brake fluid properly flushed, and car detailed with free loaner car, all paid by Lexus Corporate/dealer under goodwill.

Obviously, I was very happy with their service and provided positive feedback during their survey and any other chance I get.

PS. I know I could of done the repair myself but parts alone for one caliper would have been little over $200 and couple of hours of my time (most of that time is jacking up the car properly). I still believe I should not pay anything for recall items with bad design which wasn't fixed properly during initial repair. It appears Lexus agreed with me which I really appreciated.

Last edited by TakaM; 07-30-12 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Caliper pins seized up - Dealer says it's not covered...