IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

needing tires soon

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-12, 12:46 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm rocking bridgestone RE960AS (which was replaced by RE970AS this past year). Good tread wear, pretty quiet and comfortable but like everyone else is saying, the DWS are great for the money. In all honesty though, it's worthwhile to invest in a set of summers and a set of winters. Yes it's more expensive initially but it could be just like one moment where you need that extra traction.
Old 04-13-12, 05:00 PM
altrego350
Driver School Candidate

Kurtz, I'll keep that in mind. My question is have they done a review on stopping distance with a all season in snow vs a more dedicated warmer weather tire in snow. Cause on my budget i dont have money to buy both.
Old 04-13-12, 05:30 PM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

While I would never buy an all season, it sounds like you are still torn so just buy the all season you want and just drive carefully, make sure you leave plenty of distance between you and other cars,etc. It's really not the end of the world. Just buy a good quality tire with whatever you go with and you will be fine.
Old 04-13-12, 06:07 PM
sulfur
Rookie

Take this with a grain of salt but 14.5 million miles reported means it should be fairly accurate:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

Winter Test:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=124
Old 04-13-12, 06:33 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
As I noted, when folks have tested same-brand all seasons vs. dedicated summer or winter tires in snow, rain, etc they've found as much as 30-40% longer stopping distances with all seasons.

The all-season Michelin MXM4, for example, an all-season, took almost 60 feet longer to stop from 60mph in snow than Michelin snow tires in comparison testing.

Those same all-seasons took, again, almost 60 feet more distance to stop compared to summer tires in wet road conditions.

That's why I say don't buy all seasons if safety is your concern.... not because they also suck for racing... but because they suck for everything
This sounds like the Edmunds test: http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html

I still don't agree with how you generalize the results of the Michelin MXM4 all-season tire as representative of all all-season tires though. It is a grand touring tire so grip and stopping distances are not its priorities. That would be like saying all summer tires suck because you used the Ling Long L688 tires from the Car and Driver test or even the original fitment Bridgestone Turanza ER33 grand touring tires to represent summer tires in a summer/all-season/winter comparison test in dry/wet/snow.

You can still get excellent grip and stopping distances by going for a ultra high performance all-season tire such as the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Of course not as good as a top summer tire like the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, but I'm pretty sure it would fare much better than the Michelin MXM4. There are no direct comparisons, but you can look at the objective tests such as braking, track time, g-force, that use the same year car on Tire Rack.
Old 04-13-12, 06:45 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by altrego350
Kurtz, I'll keep that in mind. My question is have they done a review on stopping distance with a all season in snow vs a more dedicated warmer weather tire in snow. Cause on my budget i dont have money to buy both.
Do not use summer tires in the snow. Read the Edmunds test: http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html

You sound like a good candidate for all-season tires. That is, it doesn't snow often enough or heavy enough to warrant spending the money on a set of snow tires (and mounting or another set of wheels), but you can't run summer tires because that would leave you completely stranded if it does snow. Get ultra-high performance all-season tires like the Continental DWS for the best compromise of grip, cost and convenience.