Check VSC, ABS, Airbag lights all on

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 01:02 PM
BWThorp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check VSC, ABS, Airbag lights all on

Hello,

My '07 had the airbag light on last week. Code B1866 was pulled. I took it to Lexus and they reconnected a disconnected airbag squib under the glove box. Code went away and was good for a few days.

A few days later, I turned the car on and got a Christmas tree lighting up on the display. The Check VSC, ABS and Airbag lights were all on. No check engine though. I have seen that in some other threads.

Have not pulled the codes yet. In fact, I took the car out at lunch today and the codes were gone. Anyone have any suggestions on what happened? I'm thinking my battery is going as my car is now 5 years old and still has the factory battery. I'm going to check the battery voltage tonight.
Old 04-09-12, 01:46 PM
LILDANTE79
Lexus Test Driver

I had this same issue. Took it to dealer cuz of air bag light and vsc.. Would go away I didn't. Have the money since I'm out of warrenty. But 2months ago I fixed this. I decided to take off the battery wires off. Umbolted the wires the go to the top of the battery post reconnected and it worked.. Lol I wasn't even out to fix it I was just relocating some wires.
Old 04-10-12, 07:07 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LILDANTE79
I had this same issue. Took it to dealer cuz of air bag light and vsc.. Would go away I didn't. Have the money since I'm out of warrenty. But 2months ago I fixed this. I decided to take off the battery wires off. Umbolted the wires the go to the top of the battery post reconnected and it worked.. Lol I wasn't even out to fix it I was just relocating some wires.
Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery doesn't fix issues. All it does is clear any codes that are currently stored. If the issue is still there, the codes will come back.

OP - I would take it back to Lexus. The issue appears to be related to whatever they did, so bring it back and have them take a look at it.
Old 04-10-12, 03:54 PM
kingster
Pole Position

I don't think that your issues have anything to do with battery going bad.
I recently replaced my battery because it finally gave up on me. I would have to charge it every morning. No ABS lights but the already existing VSC, engine lights. No, lights did not go away even after removing and replacing battery.

Good luck
Old 04-10-12, 08:47 PM
chaiyang7
Rookie

take it back and tell the dealer, waht they did cause all ur lights to go off.
Old 04-10-12, 09:39 PM
LILDANTE79
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery doesn't fix issues. All it does is clear any codes that are currently stored. If the issue is still there, the codes will come back.

OP - I would take it back to Lexus. The issue appears to be related to whatever they did, so bring it back and have them take a look at it.
Nope u are wrong because prior to this issue I chenged my battery myself. So means I had to disconnect the battery. It did not fix the issue air bag still on but later I took off the wires that r connected tot the battery post off. Idk I'm think they r the alarm. And when I reconnected it the lights went off I've been running like this for 2months and no lights, no vsc no check engine.. Those r my thoughts on this... I think after 2months if all I did was reset it by now they would have came on...
Old 04-11-12, 07:56 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Nope u are wrong because prior to this issue I chenged my battery myself. So means I had to disconnect the battery. It did not fix the issue air bag still on but later I took off the wires that r connected tot the battery post off. Idk I'm think they r the alarm. And when I reconnected it the lights went off I've been running like this for 2months and no lights, no vsc no check engine.. Those r my thoughts on this... I think after 2months if all I did was reset it by now they would have came on...
I'm not sure I totally understand what you said. But what I said above was that simply disconnecting and reconnecting the battery will not fix the issue causing the CEL. All it does is clear the codes thrown in the past and stored in memory.

Say your MAF sensor is bad and you get a CEL. If you disconnect and reconnect the battery, all you're doing is clearing the code, not fixing the root cause which is the bad MAF sensor. So as soon as you turn your car back on after reconnecting the battery, the car will do a self-check and notice the MAF sensor is still bad and will throw the code again.

Now, if you disconnected the battery, reconnected it and the lights went away and didn't come back, all that means is that the problem resolved itself or hasn't manifested again yet, but it was not "fixed" by disconnecting the battery. The vast majority of CELs are thrown by issues with the gas cap. If you have a loose gas cap and it throws a CEL, the CEL might hang around for a bit even after you tighten the gas cap. If you then disconnect the battery and reconnect it, the CEL will go away and won't come back. That's not because you fixed the problem by disconnecting the battery - it's because the problem was resolved when you tightened the gas cap and the CEL was still stored, and disconnecting the battery cleared it.

There is of course the chance that the CEL/lights you were getting were caused somehow by a faulty connection at the battery. If this was the case, then disconnecting and reconnecting the wires properly could in fact solve the root cause. But this is less likely than the above scenario.
Old 04-11-12, 10:10 AM
LILDANTE79
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure I totally understand what you said. But what I said above was that simply disconnecting and reconnecting the battery will not fix the issue causing the CEL. All it does is clear the codes thrown in the past and stored in memory.

Say your MAF sensor is bad and you get a CEL. If you disconnect and reconnect the battery, all you're doing is clearing the code, not fixing the root cause which is the bad MAF sensor. So as soon as you turn your car back on after reconnecting the battery, the car will do a self-check and notice the MAF sensor is still bad and will throw the code again.

Now, if you disconnected the battery, reconnected it and the lights went away and didn't come back, all that means is that the problem resolved itself or hasn't manifested again yet, but it was not "fixed" by disconnecting the battery. The vast majority of CELs are thrown by issues with the gas cap. If you have a loose gas cap and it throws a CEL, the CEL might hang around for a bit even after you tighten the gas cap. If you then disconnect the battery and reconnect it, the CEL will go away and won't come back. That's not because you fixed the problem by disconnecting the battery - it's because the problem was resolved when you tightened the gas cap and the CEL was still stored, and disconnecting the battery cleared it.

There is of course the chance that the CEL/lights you were getting were caused somehow by a faulty connection at the battery. If this was the case, then disconnecting and reconnecting the wires properly could in fact solve the root cause. But this is less likely than the above scenario.
I agree.. Well I hope it fixed it because I don't want to spend a lot of money.. Lol thanxs for the imput appreciate it.. These cars throw lights up for the smallest things.. It should just say what it is on the dash.. That way we don't have to b figuring this crap out
Old 04-11-12, 11:32 AM
calvin2376
Racer

I agree.. Well I hope it fixed it because I don't want to spend a lot of money.. Lol thanxs for the imput appreciate it.. These cars throw lights up for the smallest things.. It should just say what it is on the dash.. That way we don't have to b figuring this crap out
I recommend to anyone who owns a car (2IS or not) to pick up an OBDII scanner so you can read codes yourself. I have one from Amazon like this one for only $20:
Amazon Amazon
. It enables you to quickly pull any codes your car is throwing. I can't tell if this one displays the definitions on screen or if you have to look them up, but you can easily find one that shows definitions for $30-40.
Old 04-17-12, 05:17 AM
BWThorp
Driver School Candidate

I recommend to anyone who owns a car (2IS or not) to pick up an OBDII scanner so you can read codes yourself. I have one from Amazon like this one for only $20: http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...4168938&sr=8-1. It enables you to quickly pull any codes your car is throwing. I can't tell if this one displays the definitions on screen or if you have to look them up, but you can easily find one that shows definitions for $30-40.
I was actually looking at getting a nicer unit, like the Equus Innova 3130 that also shows live data. It's quite a bit more expensive, but figured I might just invest in this one.

BTW - the codes went off and have stayed off. I didn't do anything and I have driven the car well over 200 miles since then.