Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 02:01 PM
visom1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i get an IS250?

Hi guys just needed some opinions.

Here's the situation:
-I currently drive a 2001 corolla S, parents don't want me driving it much longer cause it is a very small, light and thin car... im not a fan of it either but i do love the mileage and reliability. Parents and I both want something a little more safe to drive.
-I'm a college student, will graduate with Bachelors in engineering in 2-3 years (I don't have student debt fortunately due to financial aid and attending a junior for a few years)
-Aiming for 15k-18k price range for IS250, currently have enough to pay off 1/3 of that, parents will pay off rest but I have to repay them back (so i can avoid interest from loans)
-I do have a job but pays only slightly more than minimum wage, but I'm very good at saving money and spending wisely
-Plan on driving the IS250 for 5-10 years... if i decide to get one

Is the IS250 too much for a person in my situation? I'm mostly looking at the IS250 cause I don't really like much other cars out there...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by visom1; 04-07-12 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-07-12, 02:22 PM
dcl10
Driver School Candidate

I think it's a great car, thats why I just bought a new one, but honestly I just did a search on autotrader and the only thing I saw in that price range was an 06 with 120k miles. The IS is a reliable car, but nothing is perfect and you are still looking at a 6-7 year old vehicle, and parts are not cheap. If you keep it for 10 years you are almost certainly looking at some costly repairs down the line as you are going to have an almost 20 year old car on your hands.

If I was still in college and had that kind of money I would go for something newer, and more practical. A new elantra, 1-2 year old accord. Not the sexy options obviously, but in my opinion the smarter ones.
Old 04-07-12, 02:26 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea a luxury car isnt practical by all means however the car will last. To avoid carbon build up issues and such if you can get an 06 is350 in your price range you might want to jump on that.

If you need the car for a long time and do not want to spend much on it you might be better off buying a new corolla or civic in my opinion.

The ISx50s are sweet though and look awesome...youll enjoy it if you get it.
Old 04-07-12, 02:31 PM
visom1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the search effort dcl10 I appreciate it! On autotrader and craigs list i've found a few good ideals. 17k IS250 with 93k miles and some other good ones so I guess where I live it has more choices.

Also I don't really want an IS350, mainly cause I don't want to pay more for gas due ot lower MPG.

But you guys do have a point it is a bit too much for my situation, I'm also looking at the TSX though and a few others. I'm not really a fan of hyundia lol, mostly cause I don't like their design.
Old 04-07-12, 02:55 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were in yore situation I would get a newer cheaper car.
Old 04-07-12, 03:49 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

TSX is an acura another lux. car. I think you need to be realistic about your budget and your wants. Both will last but will require some keep up since youll probably be priced out of low mile cars. Also the IS350 and Is250 have almost identical MPG do you drive city or highway? I have a 250 and my brother drives a 350 we spend the same on gas and drive a smiliar amount of miles on a daily basis for the most part.

Im sure the 250 does save a little bit but the cost savings is not worth the loss of horse power and the issues with carbon build up...this is coming for a 250 owner who loves his car mind you.

To be honest in your situation I would buy a Kia Optima, they have a greay warranty and they have put alot into their designs in the past 3 years.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...13734360&Log=0

For instance this one is a 2011 its 18k and has 14k miles. I know its not in your area but its just an example.

If you insist on a Is250 get something like this:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...18984447&Log=0

a 2008 with under 50k and drop 1500 and extend the warranty 4 more years with the help of Jerry and Midwest Toyota. That is the safe way of getting into the 2IS and probably the cheapest overall because if you buy a higher mile car they might not be kept up to date on things like spark plugs, tires, brakes, and belts.

Just as a point of information did you know that the 2IS needs new front tires almost every 15-20k miles? Sometimes less? Some members will tell you to spend more money and get these cars alligned out of Lexus spec to correct the camber from factory but most people dont do that....factor in that this will cost you around 400 dollars for front tires alone if you get something decent installed. Depending on how many miles you drive thats almost every year.

Just some general information on the actual cost of the car. I agree with iRock...given your situation id get a new or newer less expensive non lux. vehicle until you graduate. HOWEVER the middle ground is buy a 2Is like the one I linked add the extended warranty and shell out the 19k or so. The tires and maint. type items are just the price to pay to play...if you budget correctly you might be okay but its a sacrafice for sure.
Old 04-07-12, 04:35 PM
visom1
Driver School Candidate

I agree I'm gonna look for something more budget friendly. I've talked it over with my dad and gave much time to myself to consider the present and future effects and situations I may go up against if I were to buy IS or TSX and it's not too favorable.

I do like kia's design but I'd rather go with a japanese car for their reliability, i know kia/hyundai have made great improvements but I'd rather go with japanese...for now.

I've settled on a honda accord, 08 or newer, love the design, very affordable with lower mileage.

Thanks for the detailed suggestion.
Old 04-07-12, 05:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The IS is a joy to own!!
Old 04-07-12, 07:12 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

If I were in your position, I'd never even consider getting a used car for $15k-$18k - certainly not a used luxury car.

A base Nissan Altima 2.5 can be had for around $20k. You really shouldn't be looking at high mileage used luxury vehicles for $15k-$18k at this point in your life.

Check out slightly used (< 10k miles): Nisasn Altima/Toyota Camry/Honda Accord

Have you considered a Kia Soul? It's a bigger car (probably safer, although I haven't checked). It's somewhat stylish. A brand new base Kia Soul has an MSRP of $13,900. You could probably keep the car for more than 10 years.
Old 04-07-12, 08:18 PM
ILLST1
Driver School Candidate

buy mine
Old 04-07-12, 08:33 PM
d2fresh
Rookie

You came to a lexus forum to ask if you should buy an IS?

Pros: fun car to drive, since your on CL you will prob do a few mods and end up spending more $$
Cons: cost premium gas vs regular, 5-10 years for an 06 is really pushing it although I'm sure if you maintained it well it would last.
Old 04-07-12, 08:48 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in your position a few years ago...buy a used luxury car in college or just wait till after graduation. I'm glad i chose to wait till after graduation. I can almost guarantee you if you drive a nice car like a IS250 in college, someone will hate you for it and either key it or damage it some other way. It happened to a couple of my friends with nicer cars, and it happened to me even because i drove a modded Prelude. I'd recommend getting another reliable Lexus for now that is cheaper, maybe up to 15k (i.e. IS300 and GS300/400) if you want to get a Lexus. Repairs will be cheaper and the cars have proven to be reliable over the years anyways. Plenty of 2GS's with over 200k miles...so if you can get a good deal on one with closer to 100k you should be fine. Then when you graduate in 2-3 years with your engineering degree, trade the car in (it will probably have a good amount of wear on it by then since your a college student ) and then trade up for a new Lexus with your engineer's salary

Glad your at least thinking about your situation first though before jumping into things. Most people make the decision to get a nice car, only to struggle later.
Old 04-07-12, 08:59 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Have you considered maybe getting a 2 year lease?

Sure it might cost you a bit more in the long run depending on what the dealer gives you but:

As a college student, maintenance fees can add up and take time out of your day. And with an older car, you might be apt to modify out. With a lease, it's "new" so you can even pick up say a BMW 3 series and have them cover your maintenance expenses. And at the end of the 2 years, if you decide to go into the workforce right away, you can pick up a nicer car then if you'd like (new or used) or sign another lease until you're ready to invest in a car. Just my two thoughts.
Old 04-07-12, 09:09 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kuuqi
Have you considered maybe getting a 2 year lease?

Sure it might cost you a bit more in the long run depending on what the dealer gives you but:

As a college student, maintenance fees can add up and take time out of your day. And with an older car, you might be apt to modify out. With a lease, it's "new" so you can even pick up say a BMW 3 series and have them cover your maintenance expenses. And at the end of the 2 years, if you decide to go into the workforce right away, you can pick up a nicer car then if you'd like (new or used) or sign another lease until you're ready to invest in a car. Just my two thoughts.
I wouldn't recommend a lease for a college student.

A 2 year lease would be pretty expensive after all the payments and possible damages and wear when turning the vehicle in. It's much easier to just get a cheap car and drive it without having to worry about wear and tear as much through the college years. Plus full coverage insurance on a new leased car for a college student will be more money gone.
Old 04-07-12, 11:36 PM
bforbrian
Pole Position

Do IS250s come with navigation standard?

Quick Reply: should i get an IS250?