IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What's your suggestion for my 350?

Old 04-03-12, 12:06 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

highly modified 2GR-FSE's for daily driving are like unicorns.

Old 04-03-12, 12:12 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

and the dyno #s he claimed in another thread would be higher than any that anybody has ever posted on here (well, ever posted and then provided any evidence of anyway), but he didn't reply to request for dyno sheet/details

So it's not so much touchy as, well, others have made a lot of claims over the years that they've been entirely unable to backup, and his claims exceed those of the folks who have actually backed their own up (HKS350 for example).

(it's also odd when someone says they dropped 15k in performance mods into a relatively new 350 rather than get an F)

But by all means, if he has the pics and dyno sheets to support the claims, there's quite a few folks who'd be very interested and I'd encourage him to provide the info- it could lead to some decent $/business for the tuner friends he said helped him with this.
Old 04-03-12, 12:52 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be nice to see some pics under the hood and dyno sheets.
Old 04-03-12, 12:56 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For coilovers i have the megan ez, but i would suggest the LP instead thats the cheapest running coilovers for the IS, will to spend more and drive comfortable BC and D2. I wouldnt call it destroy but it wont feel stock also depends on how low you go.
For lip kit my favorites or Ings and Vertex
Rims is a very long list but as most guys suggest on the forum u gotta have some "baller wheels" on a IS
Old 04-03-12, 01:19 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if it were feasible, I don't understand the point of spending $15k to bring an IS350 up to ISF performance standards. Getting a brand new (or used) ISF from the get go makes far more financial sense, and if you're willing to spend a few grand on nitrous oxide/headers, you could've pushed your ISF into the ~450-500 whp range.
Old 04-05-12, 10:33 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by syzygy
Even if it were feasible, I don't understand the point of spending $15k to bring an IS350 up to ISF performance standards. Getting a brand new (or used) ISF from the get go makes far more financial sense, and if you're willing to spend a few grand on nitrous oxide/headers, you could've pushed your ISF into the ~450-500 whp range.
Thanks everyone, and sorry for previously not giving much info on the 2007. I hope to answer all questions as best as I can.

1) Profile says 2011 IS 350 picts show different.
2) Whats been done to the IS 350 2007
3) Are you BSing me
4) Just a friendly guy who has picked up alot of hate

So to beging answering.
1) The picture above is of a 2007 IS 350 in which I purchased with 50K miles on it ruffly 2 months ago. I have multiple cars as working on cars has always been a hobby since a young kid. I also had a 2011 350 for about 3 weeks and sold it to a friend in exchange for some favors.
2) Whats been done, one of the favors was to get this older 350 to as close to 400HP which I was told would be very difficult but thought it could be done instead of getting the ISF. The ISF I wanted was $52,000 used and I got this 350 for $19,000 cash. I thought by saving alot of money we could make it ISF fast with spending around $25,000.
The things done so far - > Custom built intake, increased the size of the cylinders to increase displacement, reinforced the entire engine, F - Sport Sway bars front and rear, headers, new wiring, custom under chasis, Weight reduction - Spare removed, trunk inside removed, arm rest rebuilt, inside door panels removed and replaced with light weight plastic, passenger airbag removed, side airbags removed seats gutted and re-stuffed all accept drivers including rear. Griffin custom radiator (considered Supercharger), 4 customs fans, custom horns, reverse beep, Copper spark plugs, upgraded solenoids Upgraded Pump and injectors installed to run on spray and tuned. The NOS was not a regular cheap job each port was threaded specifically for the cylinder running a line to 6 individualy. We have experimented with multiple things so far including, Turbo, Supercharger, engine swap ect. Settled on no turbo or SC because weve seen a few others who've already done it and want to be different.
3) Doesn't make much since to BS anyone over a Forum. Once the car is finish you better believe picts will be posted. I've been to a few meets already and anyone who saw the whip then knows this isn't some Unicorn. Anywho I could care less what others believe. I love the 350
4) I hope this answers all questions as I wont be going over this anymore. Thanks everyone and cheers.
Old 04-05-12, 10:38 AM
ISX50URRA
Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
highly modified 2GR-FSE's for daily driving are like unicorns.

Your hear about them, but never really see them
Old 04-05-12, 10:40 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by juvi22003
For coilovers i have the megan ez, but i would suggest the LP instead thats the cheapest running coilovers for the IS, will to spend more and drive comfortable BC and D2. I wouldnt call it destroy but it wont feel stock also depends on how low you go.
For lip kit my favorites or Ings and Vertex
Rims is a very long list but as most guys suggest on the forum u gotta have some "baller wheels" on a IS
Thanks man thats a great help, I was recently in a buddies M3 and noticed the ride quality wasn't as good as the Lexus. I love the ride quality and will do some more research on the Megan BC and D2. I would love to get these on soon, not sure which RIms to get yet though Im actually leaning on getting them both at the same time. Ahhhh decisions, decisions. Your post has been added to my stickies good info mate.
Old 04-05-12, 10:50 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TooFly4Ya
Thanks everyone, and sorry for previously not giving much info on the 2007. I hope to answer all questions as best as I can.

3) Are you BSing me

So to beging answering.
1) The picture above is of a 2007 IS 350 in which I purchased with 50K miles on it ruffly 2 months ago. I have multiple cars as working on cars has always been a hobby since a young kid. I also had a 2011 350 for about 3 weeks and sold it to a friend in exchange for some favors.
2) Whats been done, one of the favors was to get this older 350 to as close to 400HP which I was told would be very difficult but thought it could be done instead of getting the ISF. The ISF I wanted was $52,000 used and I got this 350 for $19,000 cash. I thought by saving alot of money we could make it ISF fast with spending around $25,000.
The things done so far - > Custom built intake, increased the size of the cylinders to increase displacement, reinforced the entire engine, F - Sport Sway bars front and rear, headers, new wiring, custom under chasis, Weight reduction - Spare removed, trunk inside removed, arm rest rebuilt, inside door panels removed and replaced with light weight plastic, passenger airbag removed, side airbags removed seats gutted and re-stuffed all accept drivers including rear. Griffin custom radiator (considered Supercharger), 4 customs fans, custom horns, reverse beep, Copper spark plugs, upgraded solenoids Upgraded Pump and injectors installed to run on spray and tuned. The NOS was not a regular cheap job each port was threaded specifically for the cylinder running a line to 6 individualy. We have experimented with multiple things so far including, Turbo, Supercharger, engine swap ect. Settled on no turbo or SC because weve seen a few others who've already done it and want to be different.
3) Doesn't make much since to BS anyone over a Forum. Once the car is finish you better believe picts will be posted. I've been to a few meets already and anyone who saw the whip then knows this isn't some Unicorn. Anywho I could care less what others believe. I love the 350
4) I hope this answers all questions as I wont be going over this anymore. Thanks everyone and cheers.

You missed the question about providing before/after dyno sheets. Ideally with AFRs too, as HKS350, running on race gas to avoid detonation, only managed an 80 shot safely (and picked up about 50 whp from it)

I suspect a lotta folks would be curious about this part too:

increased the size of the cylinders to increase displacement, reinforced the entire engine... Upgraded Pump and injectors installed to run on spray and tuned

Stuff like where you got the pistons and other custom parts for it (because a number of people have tried, and been unable, to get such parts).... and what you're using for tuning, since that's been fairly elusive for the 2IS as well, especially tuning for the changes you're listing like changing the injectors and displacement.

I hope this answers all questions as I wont be going over this anymore.
Why? If you've really put all this money and time into the car, and gotten such great results, more power than anyone else ever has on an ISx50 engine, why would you want to quickly change the subject rather than discussing and sharing info on the build?

Last edited by Kurtz; 04-05-12 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-05-12, 10:56 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

oh, and don't forget the "experimented with multiple things so far including, turbo, supercharger, engine swap ect." part...
Old 04-06-12, 10:23 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

3) Are you BSing me

So to beging answering.
I appreciate the answer but like Kurtz, I'm confused about "I hope this answers all questions as I wont be going over this anymore." Why are you so obstinate about talking about this? You're on an IS forum for IS owners who would all LOVE to hear about, learn about, and eventually do the things you're talking about having done. If all of the above is true, you'd be hugely respected here on the forums and would serve as a hugely helpful resource to others.

You act like any question on this topic is out of line or an imposition on you. How can you come onto a forum where hundreds of IS owners would love to do what you're talking about, then casually mention you've dropped $20k under the hood on doing things others have found impossible, then be surprised and offended when others ask for details?

People here don't just want proof or details for proof's sake, to prove you wrong for their own satisfaction. They want to know so they can learn and benefit from your knowledge. That's what forums like this are all about.
Old 04-06-12, 12:13 PM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Well said Calvin, and I respect this answer. I don't mind answering a few questions and if I don't know the answer I will ask my buddies who do most of the work on it. Our initial wants for this was to keep is as quite as possible until complete and then we would reveal. I hope we still complete this task as it would be nice to finish a car you begin working on which somehow always seems to not happen when your primary job is not working on cars. We want to do more to the 350 and other models we have been working on and eventually establish something decently big in the Orlando Tuning market. Im out of town on an away and when we get back i'll try and get it on the dyno and take some picts. See how the guys feel about that... Enjoy your weekend CL.
Old 04-06-12, 12:38 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Anyway,
1. Lower your car.
2. Change your wheel
3. lip kit

Like the other member state, there is too many brand out there so i could not list all the name out.
For me i like WALD Kit, WORK SC1 wheel, D2 coilover
Old 04-06-12, 12:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If I could do it all over again

- Coilovers
- Swaybars
- Tint
- Front lip

and I'd be content. Some days I miss those (semi-stock) days - less to worry about, but as it stands I've invested way too much in the car to stop where I am now hah