IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bad interior door panel repair job nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-12, 02:29 PM
AHoop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad interior door panel repair job nightmare

I have read a lot of threads pertaining to this subject, but mine has a little bit of a twist to it. We actually attempted to get "Lexus" to repair it. Forgive me if this is reiterating (and lengthy) a lot of already discussed information, I am just seeking a little advice on our next step.

She is a 1 owner 2007 IS 250, RWD, Black Sapphire Pearl with 55K miles, still under drivetrain warranty. We bought in Sept of 2011. Born and lived/driven in Miami, FL...and because of that heat we have always battled the sticky and easily damaged interior black panels problem.

A couple of weeks ago somehow a rip appeared on the driver's door panel. It was about two inches long and round shaped. Looked like a flap (could lift it up and put it back down). No recollection of how it may have happened. It could have snagged on something. Took it to Lexus and they said they did not repair at their shop that they use a man who is a traveling "door panel and leather fixer upper." Sounded shady, but my husband called anyway thinking if Lexus referred him, he must be fine. He met this guy at the requested meeting area (also weird they wouldn't just meet at Lexus) and he began working on the door. Sanded it down, put glue on it, sprayed some crud on it that mimicked the "look" of the panel material, but doesn't feel like it. He only repaired the one area, but sprayed the entire panel. It looked like a rig, in my opinion, but my husband thought it was okay. I stupidly did not take a picture of the original rip...was too concerned with getting it fixed ASAP.

Not even a full 2 days later, it started cracking and ripping again. After calling Lexus and the guy back, they met again this time at Lexus dealership and he then repaired the door again. Big mistake.

This was the result of 2nd fix:
- it looks like black putty has been smeared across the top of the door panel...I guess he got a wild hair in him and decided to just sand down the whole thing and smear glue on it (it gets worse as the days go by)
- it in no way resembles the texture of what the panel should look like. Completely smooth appearance (smooth is a bad word to use, there's no smooth about it, but you get the drift.)
- got the black paint-like material he was spraying on the tan leather portion of the door panel
- and the most mind baffling part of it all he completely ruined the door pillar and somehow damaged paint (scrapes, dings) on the exterior of door. It feels and looks like he sanded the door pillar down?!?!?!

The door pillar:

The cracking that appeared after the first repair job:

I will post a pic of the 2nd repair job "results" as soon as I can.

I found here on the forum the warranty .pdf for the "sticky/bad appearance interior panels" that Lexus has conjured up. I am absolutely furious that Lexus would send us to that cookoo bird traveling repairman and leave us with way more damage than we started with. Not being under warranty for this recall, I'm sure we normally would have to pay $$$, but I am going to practically demand this be fixed by Lexus. I am worried that because this a guy they use practically as a vendor option that they will try to wash their hands of it and put it off on him. There isn't a single thing we would get out of that man but a "sorry."

Has anyone ever repaired their door panel? I feel like we can't be the only one that has had it repaired and not replaced the entire door panel. However, I can't find specific information on the process of how you repair it... I'm interested to know if this is the normal process one would use to repair it and he just messed it up.

Any advisement about that particular repair process, dealing with Lexus about this and other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!