IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is this the AFS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-12, 02:38 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
This is correct, these sensors are for the leveling. AFS refers to the swivel control. That being said in the 2IS, both are controlled by a single computer, so they are somewhat integrated.

There is also the base level that is actually set at the headlight to consider. Adjusting that is the correct way to set base level.

Jeff
Yea.. I'm just going to move my afs rear sensor back to normal and adjust my low beam leveling with the screw driver method
Old 03-20-12, 02:49 PM
jgarrido
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2011 is250 no hid have level sensor?
Old 03-21-12, 06:36 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Unless one has those special mounting calibration equipment, using the screws alone may not be accurate.
One does not need any special calibration equipment to get set the level accurately, just level ground and a wall.

Originally Posted by brociouz
I've never adjusted my headlights using the screws up front, but remember reading it's somewhat complicated by the fact that there are 2 screws for each headlight and they have to be adjusted together in order to get the lightsjust right. Is that not accurate?
You are somewhat correct. Without HID, there is only 1 adjustment at the headlight: vertical, just adjust it to get the level height right and don't worry about it. With HID, there are 2 adjustments: vertical and horizontal. Vertical is very easy to adjust, however it also moves the headlight's horizontal adjustment as well, which is harder to adjust, but it moves the horizontal adjustment so minimally that it is barely an issue, and even if you did want to recenter it afterward, you'd only need to adjust it a very small amount, which wouldn't be that bad.

Originally Posted by jgarrido
2011 is250 no hid have level sensor?
No, only cars with HID have level sensors.

Jeff
Old 03-21-12, 06:45 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 5 degrees is what I see as "bounce" on my car. If you don't want to mess with the OEM factory adjustment and just want to raise or lower your lights, then use the rear level adjuster,...it moves "both" at the same time. This is good for lowered cars.

if you're not concerned with keeping them factory synced, then do them to your preferences,...individually.

FYI step #2 in the manual lists a "tester" and states "follow the instructions" for aiming the head lights. So if you have access to the "tester" it's a breeze

Last edited by clubfoot; 03-21-12 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-21-12, 11:42 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Adjusting the sensor is the correct way to adjust it for lowered suspension. The base level in the headlight would not change if you lowered the car, so changing the sensor is the correct way to do it. Both the front and rear sensors should be adjusted when lowering the car.

Jeff
Old 03-21-12, 07:31 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

My car has been lowered since day one,...well almost, on Eibach springs and I did not have to adjust mine.

But many here who had '06s had to adjust theirs and they only used the rear level sensor. It really depends on the lowering springs you install. some give an equal front to rear drop others,...like the Eibach, don't.
Old 03-22-12, 07:49 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Adjusting the sensor is the correct way to adjust it for lowered suspension. The base level in the headlight would not change if you lowered the car, so changing the sensor is the correct way to do it. Both the front and rear sensors should be adjusted when lowering the car.

Jeff
I don't sleep much, so this may be a stupid question, but you're saying that if you're adjusting the headlight level to compensate for your lowered suspension, the correct, bo-the-book way to do it is with the bolt near the axle? And that bolt is properly referred to as the "sensor?" What do you call the headlight screwdriver adjusty thingies?
Old 03-22-12, 08:28 AM
w0rtez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one question maybe stupid... but i got curiosity... if i change my headlights to a 2012 do i lose afs?
Old 03-22-12, 09:02 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by w0rtez
one question maybe stupid... but i got curiosity... if i change my headlights to a 2012 do i lose afs?
Yes.

AFS doesn't exist on 2011 or 2012 2IS cars/headlights
Old 03-23-12, 12:06 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Default Headlight Aiming

This is headlight aiming by the book,...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Headlight_aim.pdf (211.2 KB, 574 views)
Old 04-24-12, 10:56 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

I have an interesting problem.

I noticed my lights were a little off, and the afs off light flickered once, so (after reading the forums) I took a look at my front height control. It looks like the nut/bolt attached to the ball bearing (for lack of a better description) broke off the level arm, so it's no longer attached (to the sway bar?). I looked at Sewell and it looks like you have to buy the entire sensor assembly for $300 just because the bolt/nut broke off the arm. Is that correct? Seems a little crazy.

http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalo...S350-2008.html

Any alternatives? I notice the leveling arm has the following part number thk-bw60a-0530. I couldn't find that anywhere, and I also didn't have any luck at junk yards.

I could use some advice.
Old 04-25-12, 07:51 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default AFS light after lowered

So I lowered my 06 350 and the AFS light has been on since then. After reading all of this I need someone to confirm that I have to loosen the screw and adjust it? How do I know where it now needs to be in order to correct the AFS light issue? Do I loose it and move it all the way to the opposite location? Mid way? Anyone knows?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-25-12, 08:04 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rebs
I have an interesting problem.

I noticed my lights were a little off, and the afs off light flickered once, so (after reading the forums) I took a look at my front height control. It looks like the nut/bolt attached to the ball bearing (for lack of a better description) broke off the level arm, so it's no longer attached (to the sway bar?). I looked at Sewell and it looks like you have to buy the entire sensor assembly for $300 just because the bolt/nut broke off the arm. Is that correct? Seems a little crazy.

http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalo...S350-2008.html

Any alternatives? I notice the leveling arm has the following part number thk-bw60a-0530. I couldn't find that anywhere, and I also didn't have any luck at junk yards.

I could use some advice.
I know it's tacky to reply to my post, but I'm going to do it anyway (in case someone else runs into this situation).

First of all, props to Sewell for replying quickly. They said the "height sensor for the front is only available as a complete assembly", so you have to buy the sensor and everything. In store price is $485; Obviously cheaper through Sewell (which is great), but boo on Lexus for making you buy the entire assembly for 1 nut breaking off.

If anyone has an alternative to acquiring part THK BW60A-0530 (since I couldn't find any suppliers online and had no luck in the salvage yards), please let me know.

Thanks
Old 04-25-12, 04:04 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
So I lowered my 06 350 and the AFS light has been on since then. After reading all of this I need someone to confirm that I have to loosen the screw and adjust it? How do I know where it now needs to be in order to correct the AFS light issue? Do I loose it and move it all the way to the opposite location? Mid way? Anyone knows?

Thanks in advance!
Adjust the position of the rear sensor (driver's side) to take care of AFS light. With the sensor disconnected and the lights on, you should be able to find the spot where the AFS light turns off and reattach it.
Old 04-25-12, 06:27 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the 2012 headlamps from Sewell installed on my 2009 IS 350 and still cannot get an answer as to why the auto-leveling does not work. Can just one of the left or right sensors/motors be bad? Or would it only be the case where both sides don't work?

Quick Reply: is this the AFS?