IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 IS250 Burning Oil Part 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 08:27 PM
dutchboy72
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default made an appointment

Made an appointment today. Spokane Lexus said I didn't have to do the 1000 mile test as they have several other tests they can do .... compression test?? Bellevue wasn't as knowledgeable it seems ...I'm going to Spokane ...
Old 04-09-12, 08:07 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

o wow your lucky then, its gonna take a while for me to accumulate 1200 miles.
Old 04-30-12, 11:46 PM
lachuy85
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same oil consuming problem but mine even worst (. After 1800 miles (since my last oil change) it went low to under the bottom dot in the oil dipstick and my car have 82000 miles now. what should I do now since the warranty just cover under 70k miles? so Sad......Thanks for any advise.
Old 05-07-12, 06:31 AM
zinnerbug
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have an extended warranty? If so, follow the steps below:

First thing to do is develop a relationship with an advisor at Lexus. Have him start an oil consumption report which will consist of several trips to the dealer where they will measure how much oil is being consumed at every so much mileage (example- every one thousand mileage). Once they have a track record of several visits showing excessive consumption, have the advisor pull the bulletin i just posted a few weeks ago. He can use that along with the track record to present to the warranty company. They will have no other choice but to fix the problem which ring and piston replacement is needed. Once the warranty company sends out a tech to confirm the work, company will grant work to be done on car.

Let me know if you have any other quesitons.

Eddie

Originally Posted by lachuy85
I'm having the same oil consuming problem but mine even worst (. After 1800 miles (since my last oil change) it went low to under the bottom dot in the oil dipstick and my car have 82000 miles now. what should I do now since the warranty just cover under 70k miles? so Sad......Thanks for any advise.
Old 05-21-12, 05:01 PM
dutchboy72
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks all

Thanks to everyone for helping me out in this situation! Here's an update:

My car is now at Spokane Lexus getting the rings, pistons and valves replaced. It's a 32 hour job, and I'm sooo thankful I'm at 66000 miles, not 71000 with a run out warranty!

They also noticed that there was an alignment problem with a really weird wear pattern on the back tires. I don't think that will be covered, but given that I'm getting a pretty much new engine, I'm not complaining!

Appreciate all your help! If anyone has any ideas about the wear issue on the edge of the tires, please let me know what's up.

Also, does anyone know if the new pistons have eliminated the problem with the old ones? This isn't going to happen again, is it?

Tim
Old 07-10-12, 06:41 AM
Natash2008
Driver School Candidate

In the past 7 months, I had to get a recall done on my engine, and the camshaft gears needed to be replaced. Then I started to see the low engine oil light, brought it in, they tested it for LEAKS but not burning (which you think they would after all of these consistent problems across the IS250 fleet)...so I brought it in again and now of course they say the rings are bad, and they will also replace the pistons due to the carbon buildup service bulletin. I've been going back and forth with the dealership and corporate telling them I want a short block- Does anyone have ANY advice to give me if they come back and say NO to the short block? I have 2k left in my warrant and don't want bandaid repairs done to my engine.
Old 07-17-12, 11:29 AM
lexsocal
Driver School Candidate

I was having a recurring problem with my low oil light coming on and took my car to a lexus dealership. Lexus had me do an oil consumption test and wanted me to come in every 1,000 miles. After the third inspection, I was down just about a quart. I told them I was taking the car out of town, so they refilled it and told me to come back in when I got back in town. Well, as I was driving back and about 70 miles from home, my "check engine" light and the "vsc" light both went on and I lost power. Luckily, after shutting the car off and then starting it again, the lights went out and I was able to make it home. I took it in to the dealership the next morning and, after several days to inspect the car, Lexus concluded that I need a new short block, not just new pistons and rings. It took another 10 days for the dealership to get in all of the parts and put the car back together. I have 80,000 miles on the car, but fortunately it was a certified preowned, so it was covered under the extended warranty. It seems to be driving better, but I'm still a little nervous, so we'll see if there are any "bugs" or "ancillary problems" over the next several thousand miles.
Old 12-29-13, 10:38 AM
Shay3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by azncaboy
Hi. I totally understand your frustration. I too have went thru this headache. I purchased a used 2008 is 250 not too long ago. After 2000 miles, the Low Oil Engine Level indicator lit up. Went to dealership and they advised that they might of not topped off the oil previously so they filled it up. Another 2000 miles comes by, the indicator lit up again and I went to the dealership for another check. They said it was okay to lose that much oil based on the manual. Then, went in again to see the 3rd advisor and he was helpful in that he opened a claim to Lexus and will be replacing the pistons and pistons rings. Hopefully this headache will end. Crossing my fingers. I just recently purchased the car too. Keep in touch and let me know your story. Good luck!
I also have this same problem since I got my car I have 2007 and my check vsc always comes on almost causing me to get in several accidents. I had to figure out myself that my oil was burning and I did my own research I have been having this problem for so long and now I am out of my warrnanty. I can say I have called so many times. I then brought my car in so they could do oil change and oil consumption test and on my way home my car stalled and check vsc came on i called right away and they told me its fine its a censor? Ummmm no this has been going on for a while. Now I have to contact the Lexus company myself. Who did you talk to, to get that done? I love my car please help. And I hope that solved your problem
Old 12-30-13, 10:29 AM
dutchboy72
Driver School Candidate

Default update

So I had my Lexus taken in to have the rings, etc. replaced. The dealership got the whole engine taken apart, and Lexus USA didn't approve the repair, so they put it back together without changing anything. I was not happy as the manager was confident that I would be approved. Regardless, now a year later I don't have any oil burning issues! Somehow taking out the pistons and cleaning up the rings, valves, etc. did the job on its own. Weird, but in the end it worked out well.
Old 01-03-14, 07:03 PM
Speedy321
Driver School Candidate

Default Recommend doing it!!

I have a 2008 with 110xxx miles. Only bought it less then 10k ago. Had it in 5 times for oil issues of consumption. We called Lexus on 12/30/13, checked car out on 1/2/14, should have car back 1/7 with new pistons n rings all 100% covered!!

Thank u Lexus for the unlimited power train!

Meantime if u own a Lexus u get a free rental car in my area. I have a 2013 IS250 with 12k. PIMP!

Advice--Take the shot in the dark.
Old 01-09-14, 10:05 AM
Speedy321
Driver School Candidate

Default Due Back

Car would of been back yesterday but Tech snapped a injector. Free replacement there.

Should have it late today or tomorrow!! Will update.
Old 01-12-14, 04:39 PM
Speedy321
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus is a Stand Out

Well i got my car back on friday. It is driving like a brand new vehicle. Sooo smooth.

They did give me a receipt but it was blank on prices. Just listed the parts.

i recommend to all that have this issue or issues. Just call them up and ask for an apt!!

Last edited by Speedy321; 01-12-14 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-24-14, 10:19 PM
tom95148
Driver School Candidate

So let me get this Straight. if your is350 has no warranty and your engine have burn oil, you are out of luck? No free fix from lexus? thanks

Tuan
Old 01-05-15, 05:51 PM
Jamier
Driver School Candidate

Default Mr

Originally Posted by lexsocal
I was having a recurring problem with my low oil light coming on and took my car to a lexus dealership. Lexus had me do an oil consumption test and wanted me to come in every 1,000 miles. After the third inspection, I was down just about a quart. I told them I was taking the car out of town, so they refilled it and told me to come back in when I got back in town. Well, as I was driving back and about 70 miles from home, my "check engine" light and the "vsc" light both went on and I lost power. Luckily, after shutting the car off and then starting it again, the lights went out and I was able to make it home. I took it in to the dealership the next morning and, after several days to inspect the car, Lexus concluded that I need a new short block, not just new pistons and rings. It took another 10 days for the dealership to get in all of the parts and put the car back together. I have 80,000 miles on the car, but fortunately it was a certified preowned, so it was covered under the extended warranty. It seems to be driving better, but I'm still a little nervous, so we'll see if there are any "bugs" or "ancillary problems" over the next several thousand miles.
Hi , do you have any idea on the cost of this repair? I do have the same problem ( went to change oil and it was almost empty). The guy told me to put Synthetic oil to eliminate that problem, a mechanic friend told me, to sell the car because the cost of repairing it is very high
Please give an idea what to do.
Tnanks
Jamier

Last edited by Jamier; 01-05-15 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 05:57 PM
Jamier
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lachuy85
Hi Lachuy, did you solve the problem, how much it costs?
I am having the same exact predicament, out of warranty and same millage, I find out today , during an oil change, that the oil stick was almost dry, the guy at Jeffy Lube, convinced me to use Synthetic oil, to "solve' the problem a mechanic friend told to sell the car because this is a very costly repair
The mechanic also said to use a thicker oil to minimize the oil comsuption
Have a great evening
Jamier

Last edited by Jamier; 01-05-15 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 IS250 Burning Oil Part 3