Mark Levinson Subwoofer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 11:09 PM
egomambo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Subwoofer replacement

Hey guys,

Sorry if this question has already been answered i've looked around and can't exactly find the answer to my question..

My 07 is250 Mark Levinson Subwoofer has just about had it (rattles), would it be easy to replace if i buy a new mark levinson subwoofer? And if so, will it be better replacing it with another branded sub? Which comes to the final question what size is the sub and how many ohms would it be?

thanks a lot guys

sorry again if this has already been asked and could you show me to the right direction?
Old 03-12-12, 11:13 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't be easily replaced by an aftermarket sub. You can just swap a new ML sub in; it's not too complicated. That would be the easiest option for you (aside from just leaving it alone).

Also, it's an open air subwoofer, so it's probably not worth replacing with another ML sub anyways, as the price to performance is subpar, at best.
Old 03-12-12, 11:32 PM
egomambo
Driver School Candidate

Ah ok, thanks for your help. Yeah i've seen the sub going for $350 around ebay and I'm not really sure if it's worth it, i'd like to get an aftermarket sub in an enclosed box but then again i don't want to compromise boot space. With the sub not working 100% it really lacks that little punch.

Do you have ML's? Have you had this issue?
Old 03-12-12, 11:36 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

It seems a lot of members have issues with the ML sub's long-term durability. Most seem to be replacing it with a simple aftarmarket setup. You can always find a good enclosure that fits well into the trunk, saving a lot of space.
Here's a link to a pretty good-looking box:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...x-is-back.html
It's a bit expensive though.

I do not have ML. I wired my car up for an aftermarket subwoofer system anyways.
Old 03-12-12, 11:49 PM
egomambo
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, i've seen a lot members cause of issues is it going out easily due to heavy bass type of music. Which I started listening to a couple of hip hop songs and it just started rattling. I might just go aftermarket setup but it would probably later in the future.

It's a shame we pay premium prices for a sound system that won't even last the life of the car. But i understand the system is not built for heavy bass hitting songs as I'm guessing is only a small sub.

Thanks
Old 03-13-12, 12:08 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the stock system is crap and for 3k it should be just as good as a aftermarket one.
Old 03-13-12, 06:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by swtjlsy
the stock system is crap and for 3k it should be just as good as a aftermarket one.
I agree it should be better for 3k... Of course it doesn't cost anywhere near 3k

$752 was the dealer cost of the ML audio system the year I special ordered mine.

(MSRP was $900-something)

The reason the ML plus nav option is 4k is because the nav itself is 2500 (which is insane, esp. how outdated its features are) and the DVD changer (which doesn't come with just the ML sound system by itself) is another 500.

FWIW I haven't blown my ML sub after ~4.5 years of use, but I don't listen to much rap, and I know quite a few others have had the issue... it's one of the reasons I got an extended warranty so it'll be a free replacement if it does happen to me.
Old 03-13-12, 08:04 AM
vangis350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's damaged or blown and you want something a little more, I say replace it with an aftermarket sub and amp. Lots of CL members have done it, myself included.
Old 03-13-12, 05:42 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

I replaced my blown ML sub with another ML sub, got it from Sewell for ~ $330. It's fairly easy to do, just have to remove the rear seat and then pop up the rear deck. There are no aftermarket replacement options if you want to use the stock mounting location. If you do put a box in the trunk, I'd suggest removing the ML sub anyhow to allow air to pass through the opening. Otherwise, its going to be muffled by the sealed trunk.
Old 03-13-12, 07:02 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

^^Agree... Just replaced my blown ML sub as well. Sewell had best price. Was able to change in about 30 min. Now I just keep my volume at around 50 to 52 max. Only took 4 1/2 years for it to blow up on me.
The following users liked this post:
lisajoon (01-29-21)
Old 03-13-12, 09:08 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

^^ dang, you listen to your music loud. i usually have mine around 15-30
Old 09-17-12, 04:04 AM
bigdenis
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to revive an old thread. I'm just wondering, is the ML subwoofer in a 2010 8" or 10" ??

I always thought it was an 8 inch, but on ebay, all sellers state that it's a 10 inch sub.
Old 09-17-12, 07:14 AM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

ML sub is easy to rePlace but as others have said expensive for the price. I've even retrofitted a kicker open air 8 in and it still sounded subpar. Finally just put in a 10in in a box and an amp in the trunk and it sounds great. I don't want crazy bass that shakes houses so with the bass turned to a moderate level the sound is amazing and clean.
Old 05-19-13, 01:44 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

How do you remove the stock sub for replacement? Is there a how to? Thks
Old 05-19-13, 03:11 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Removing the back seat gives you access to the rear panel.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Subwoofer replacement