IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

what Kind of tint should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-12, 08:27 PM
ISPanda
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingster
I went really dark (limo) all rear windows just to protect my leather from the excrusiating heat during Summer. I went lighter in the front so I won't be targeted by cops and get pulled over. Tint is not legal and even if you have the lightes tint in the front, if you got wrongly pulled over, the cops may still get you for tint. It happend to me about fours years ago. I still did not have my plates. I had medium tint all over. CHP asked me for registration and insurance. I had everything in orde,r but he continued writing a fix citation for having tint in the front windows. If you always drive with your windows down, then you will be ok.
He's right. If you get pulled over for anything, they can always tack on the tint citation for some extra $$$. However, you can try to get out of it by rolling your windows down (both front windows) before he gets out of his car. o.O.

Regardless, 35% won't be too dark that they will target you for... they're looking for Limo tints as Kingster has. If you live in So Cal where we get insane heat in the summers, you should really get tints. The damage it prevents to your interior will be worth the ticket.
Old 03-13-12, 09:17 PM
kingster
Pole Position

It's true. Tint & conditioner will protect leather. Ticket is worth $15 and the trip to CHP. NOt unless you have a CHP friend (I do), and he will sign and stap for free. Leather is worth much more $$.
Old 03-13-12, 10:38 PM
Rickyp521
Rookie

I have 20% tint 3M all around goes really well with my SGM IS
Old 03-13-12, 10:44 PM
Kauro
Pole Position

If you want a blueish tint look (like Mercedes somewhat), try looking into the Llumar Air80. That's where I am headed toward on a Obsidian black IS.
Old 03-13-12, 10:50 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This should help... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...pics-here.html
Old 03-14-12, 12:13 AM
Razima32
Driver School Candidate

I recently purchased an SGM IS and im going with 35% side windows + 5 inch sunstrip. This is the most i can do legally in MD. I had 20% with 80% windsheild tint on my previous car bmw 530i and cops would give me trouble.Since your in cali id say go with the most you can get away with legaly.
Old 03-14-12, 12:21 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kauro
If you want a blueish tint look (like Mercedes somewhat), try looking into the Llumar Air80. That's where I am headed toward on a Obsidian black IS.
Ahh you mean this.

http://www.aptinting.com/gallery/mai...g2_itemId=1327
http://truestreetcars.com/forums/lom...-cant-see.html
Old 03-14-12, 07:01 AM
mixa86
Pole Position

the way i tint my cars is.....the lighter the car the darker the tint i put on it. On my black cars i like it 20-35% on lighter cars 15-20%
Old 03-14-12, 09:27 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

I got 20 in the rear and 35 on the front windows
Attached Thumbnails what Kind of tint should i get?-new1.jpg  
Old 03-14-12, 10:35 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Good thread im actually thinking of tinting my new baby, but I think I would rather avoid tickets...Dont like to give smokey bear any reason for ANYTHING!!!
Old 03-14-12, 10:57 AM
showtymers
Driver

hey i pretty much tint as a hobby, the 70% thats legal in california is whats on the glass now, it has its own factory tint .. some of you may say its not tinted but 70% is pretty much that light .. if you want the heat rejection and not be hassled do 50% all the way around even on the windshield .. and if the charcoal "color doesnt suit you on the front windshield.. go with something like solargard titanium
Old 03-14-12, 02:07 PM
Sango
Pole Position

^
Mostly correct. I have the Lexus Feature book which lists the factory tint and Jeff Lange also knows the tint as well and they are as follows.

Windshield: 78%
Moonroof: 20%
All other windows: 70%

If you want to be safe, you could do Air Blue 80 and no one can tell by simply looking at it unless one is trying to find it.
Old 03-15-12, 06:25 PM
Ktran1039
Driver

Originally Posted by Blacksweat
yeaa that actuallly looks clean... is it legal in your state for the front 2 tinted @ 35%? In california we are at 70% minimum for the fronts =( ..... u think it wud b weird looking to get the fronts @ 70% and the rears darker?
I live in SoCal, i have 30% Nano-Carbon Tint all around. Personally i dont like the look of the different shades. I'm sure you'll be fine most cops don't pull over just for tints.
Old 03-15-12, 07:53 PM
HSTexan
Driver

I had 15% on my Supra and though it looked great it was a pain in the *** in Texas...I used to have to roll down my windows and pull the fuse and tell them it was a summer car and I didn't have side glass to get the safety inspection passed.

On the IS I wanted things to be as simple as possible without hassle. Darkest you can go in MS is 28% so I just did that. It actually looks pretty decent. Wish I could have gone to 20%, but that wasn't in the cards right now. I see you're in CA...not sure what the laws are there, but I always hear how bad the cops are so I'm not sure if the super dark tint would be worth it

These are the best pictures I can do of 28%

Old 03-15-12, 07:54 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ktran1039
I live in SoCal, i have 30% Nano-Carbon Tint all around. Personally i dont like the look of the different shades. I'm sure you'll be fine most cops don't pull over just for tints.
True, it's usually the cops who want some $$ or having a bad day to pull you over.

One thing I always keep in mind is that you don't want to be the odd man out or making it look high profile that it will get the attention to the cops.

For BC, Canada, drivers can get pulled over for tints as this is enforced. Since they can pull you over for probable cause, you can get caught this way for the tint. Also the drink and driving counter-attack random check points as well. If caught as I mentioned earlier for illegal tints, they have the right to cut/slash your tint on the spot with a razor blade.

I heard from various people that their friends had their tints cut and that they had to prove that the illegal tint was removed by a certain date or face a more stricker fine. Some of them tried to make an excuse why their window was rolled down during the night; the cops know this trick; even funnier when it was raining and rolled down.

Last edited by Sango; 03-15-12 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: what Kind of tint should i get?