IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How can I determine if an exhaust is actual an f-sport?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 09:31 AM
ydnandy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I determine if an exhaust is actual an f-sport?

I am looking to purchase a used f-sport exhaust, but wanted to ask a few quick questions... I'm still fairly new to this, so wanted to get some opinions from the experts

How can I actually tell if the exhaust is an f-sport? The one that I am looking at is a non-logo version, so it is not immediately clear. From the pictures I have seen, it looks exactly like an f-sport... but I am not sure how easy it would be to fake something such as this.

Also, the seller said it came on his car as a factory option... but then he goes on to say he also has the original shipping box. Is the exhaust that comes on the f-sport series the actual f-sport exhaust that is sold as an aftermarket part?

I noticed that some of the ads in the classifieds have part numbers etched into them, is that a good way to validate? I asked the seller about it and he said he didnt recall seeing any numbers and also he called lexus and they said no numbers were on the parts. He will check again later today...

Also... if anyone is in charlotte, NC and has the f-sport exhaust, would love to get a quick ride in your car so i can hear it. Youtube videos are great, but would love to hear it in person first

thanks!
Old 03-12-12, 09:38 AM
miLanIS250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll find all of the information you need in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-exhaust.html

Yes, there are 'replicas' out there.
Old 03-12-12, 09:45 AM
ydnandy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by miLanIS250
You'll find all of the information you need in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-exhaust.html

Yes, there are 'replicas' out there.
nice, thanks for the link! Guess I need to hold out and see if he can find a part number on the unit he is selling.

Do you know if the exhaust that comes on the f-sport / sport package is the same as the "f-sport" sold by lexus/sewell? Don't want to pay this guy f-sport money and get a fancy stock exhaust...

thanks again
Old 03-12-12, 09:56 AM
Kauro
Pole Position

If I remember correctly the previous fsport exhaust generation didn't have the fsport logo on it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-12-12, 10:06 AM
ydnandy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kauro
If I remember correctly the previous fsport exhaust generation didn't have the fsport logo on it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Believe you are correct on that point. The one in question is a no-logo version, and thats why I started this thread... Wanted to know what else to look for to compare a legit piece to a replica. Sounds like there should still be a part number etched in the piping, even if there isn't an f-sport etching on the muffler tip.

Also, is it accurate to say that the only difference between the new/old is the f-sport etching? No other modifications were made?

thanks again!
Old 03-12-12, 01:17 PM
cjfung10
Driver School Candidate

i own a 2012 f-sport does not come with the f-sport exhaust ( http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2012/1798.html ) unless you ask for the dealership to install the one linked above (and pay an arm and a leg for it).
Old 03-12-12, 01:31 PM
ydnandy
Pole Position

ok... so just because you have the f-sport package, does not mean that you have f-sport exhaust that you linked to? interesting... what exhaust did it come with then, the stock 250/350 exhaust?
Old 03-12-12, 05:49 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes the fsport model dosent come with fsport accessories it has different suspension, a different interior, badges, and the front lip. Its the replacement to the Xpackage. So no fsport suspesnsion/exhaust/shift ****/brakes/sway bars
Old 03-12-12, 06:16 PM
ydnandy
Pole Position

Thanks... The part number he provided me seems to match the older lexus hks system. I'm still considering it
Old 03-12-12, 06:19 PM
ydnandy
Pole Position

Sorry... Posting from my phone, so i cant edit last post. What have those systems been selling for in the classifieds? I searched, but have been edited with descriptions removed.

Thanks again
Old 03-12-12, 07:03 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive seen the one with no fsport logo for as low as 750 but usually around 850-900.
Old 03-13-12, 08:57 AM
ydnandy
Pole Position

I think there are actually three systems that have been sold by dealers:

1. Lexus HKS system (now discontinued)
2. F-Sport exhaust that had no logo (discontinued?)
3. F-sport exhaust with logo

All three had different part numbers, so don't think they are the same... From reading a few threads, sounds like the lexus HKS system is a little quieter than #2 & #3. I searched the classified section for sales of the first exhaust, but all of the listings were edited to remove the listing details... Any idea what #1 has been selling for?
Old 03-13-12, 09:16 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by ydnandy
I think there are actually three systems that have been sold by dealers:

1. Lexus HKS system (now discontinued)
2. F-Sport exhaust that had no logo (discontinued?)
3. F-sport exhaust with logo

All three had different part numbers, so don't think they are the same... From reading a few threads, sounds like the lexus HKS system is a little quieter than #2 & #3. I searched the classified section for sales of the first exhaust, but all of the listings were edited to remove the listing details... Any idea what #1 has been selling for?
I bought Lexus HKS used fairly scratched tips for about $600. That was about 3 yrs ago. At that time they had some new ones going for $1100. Lexus HKS is extremely hard to find now.