IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dyaam my stock granny wheels are expensive !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-12, 10:13 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by wtfsmith
I'm selling my '09 stock OEM for 1100
I hope its badly damaged, or else your price is not justified . It's way too cheap for OEM's.
Old 02-28-12, 10:13 AM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

You crazy haha. $400 for the full set. If someone was paying $400/wheel for stocks, they'd just go aftermarket. That's why stock wheels sell for crap. :3
Old 02-28-12, 10:17 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

the stocks might cost a lot from the dealership (or new) but its not worth that much value. the condition of the rims and tires also plays a role in the price..
Old 02-28-12, 10:18 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LamTheSham
You crazy haha. $400 for the full set. If someone was paying $400/wheel for stocks, they'd just go aftermarket. That's why stock wheels sell for crap. :3
haha exactly!
Old 02-28-12, 10:20 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
But the OEM's come stock with the car. You can't put after market unless you sell or trade it off. In my opinion it's not worth trading the OEM's as you won't get even 1/4th its original price.
Why not? You can do what you want with your car!

No one want's OEM's that's the problem, and if they do they buy them for winter rims. Like my winter setup, and aftermarket for summer.
I have a hard time believing those are 700$/piece.

These OEM rims are ~500$ corner NEW from dealer, 18" super nice finish & staggered:

I'm thinking its the market your in that fluctuates the price...
Old 02-28-12, 10:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You can get more money for great condition stock wheels if you sell them say on Ebay one wheel at a time.
People that hit a curb and get wheel rash on one wheel will pay more for one wheel instead of a set of 4 wheels.I've sold stock wheels that way.
So if someone is asking $450 for a set that person would rather pay $150 for one wheel that's needed.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-28-12 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-28-12, 10:36 AM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Nobody that are car enthusiastic is going to pay you more than 400 a set for your stock granny wheels.\

Last edited by Initial_K; 02-28-12 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-28-12, 10:44 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Initial_K
Nobody is going to pay you more than 400 a set for your stock granny wheels.
I agree, Stock wheels are not in demand...
Old 02-28-12, 10:54 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL

I'm thinking its the market your in that fluctuates the price...
Like you said I think it's because of the market here. I'll try finding out how much my dealer would pay to get these wheels from me first.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
You can get more money for great condition stock wheels if you sell them say on Ebay one wheel at a time.
People that hit a curb and get wheel rash on one wheel will pay more for one wheel rather because they don't need a set of 4 wheels.I've sold stock wheels that way.
So if someone is asking $450 for a set that person would rather pay $150 for one wheel that's needed.
This is a good idea but still it's far away from the original 700 $ / wheel price tag . Maybe here the market is different. I haven't seen any after market wheels on the IS except for the F sport wheels on the optioned cars. I'll try trading my wheels for those.

Originally Posted by Initial_K
Nobody that are car enthusiastic is going to pay you more than 400 a set for your stock granny wheels.\
Originally Posted by 516IS
I agree, Stock wheels are not in demand...
You're right , it makes sense. But I gotta try and see the market here since I have not seen after market wheels on IS's too. So there is some hope that I can get better resale value on this part of the world.
Old 02-28-12, 11:01 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

They are pricey from a dealer. But regardless, they arent worth it to sell them. Had mine in the attic for 2 years, and I'm back on them because I sold rims and waiting on the others to come in. Its more worth it to have them as back up than to ever sell them IMO.
Old 02-28-12, 11:02 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
But the OEM's come stock with the car. You can't put after market unless you sell or trade it off. In my opinion it's not worth trading the OEM's as you won't get even 1/4th its original price.
There's an inherent problem here in your reasoning. You're using as your basis for what these wheels are worth the price that one Lexus dealership's part department quoted you. The price they quote you has no correlation whatsoever to what they're "worth", in the sense you mean. What something is "worth" in the sense you mean it is what someone in the market is willing to pay for them.

If the dealership says a wheel costs $700 but no one wants to pay more than $400, then they're worth $400, not $700.

Those wheels are the ugly, base wheel option for a mass-market car (not coincidentally the reason you're looking to unload them). How are you surprised that no one is willing to pay more than $400-500 for a set? Think about the market for buyers. Right off the bat you're pretty much limited to current ISX50 owners. Already a small pool. Then think about who wants those particular wheels. Well, anyone with stock wheels has at least those wheels or better ones. And anyone with aftermarket wheels would only want them if they were reverting to stock to sell the car. The only other option would be people looking for a set of wheels for something like a winter set, or someone who damaged their originals. In all cases, this is a very small group.

Most importantly though, as I said before, the dealership's quote of $714 per wheel is absurd and has no basis in market worth or value. Here are better looking wheels from Sewell brand new for $250 each before the CL discount, which is probably $20-30: http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2007/4658.html. Why would I pay $700 for your curb-rashed, used, uglier wheel when I could buy a brand new better-looking one for less than half the cost.

There are no revelations to be had here. Absolutely no one should be surprised that the dealer quotes a crazily high price for a wheel that is not supported on the used resale market. You're comparing apples and oranges.
Old 02-28-12, 11:34 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Supply and demand. There's a huge surplus of stock rims, that are ugly. The demand is $400 for a set, if your lucky.

Doesn't matter if the supplier sets the price at $1 million; they are only worth as much as their demand.
Old 02-28-12, 11:56 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Price from the dealer and market price are 2 different things.

Sure, the price for the OEM wheels are high from the dealer, they mark up everything... BUT noone is willing to pay that much for it.

With that price, you can buy a nice set of aftermarket wheels. Only a total Noob is going to pay that price for 1 OEM wheel. You can get the 18" split design wheel for 500 bucks, and that's for ALL 4 wheels.
Old 02-28-12, 12:06 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by heyarms
They are pricey from a dealer. But regardless, they arent worth it to sell them. Had mine in the attic for 2 years, and I'm back on them because I sold rims and waiting on the others to come in. Its more worth it to have them as back up than to ever sell them IMO.
Originally Posted by calvin2376
Why would I pay $700 for your curb-rashed, used, uglier wheel when I could buy a brand new better-looking one for less than half the cost.

There are no revelations to be had here. Absolutely no one should be surprised that the dealer quotes a crazily high price for a wheel that is not supported on the used resale market. You're comparing apples and oranges.
I get your point guys. Like heyarms said , its much better to keep the OEM's simply at home rather than selling it cheaply.
Old 02-28-12, 01:27 PM
SC400MAN
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to remember a couple if things about a dealer selling wheels: First, they probably don't sell many, except for the occasional "one" to someone who damaged a wheel. They don't stock them for the most part and have to order them. They probably don't want your take offs - what would they do with them? Most people would not go to a dealer looking for a used wheel. I worked at a dealership for several years. We had some people who came in and wanted a new LS but wanted the "chrome look" wheels. We had to sell them the new wheels at whatever the retail was and then give them back the original wheels, because no one wanted them, or you you would have to hold them for a long time "in case" someone needed a wheel. It's just not worth it to a dealer. Yes, the prices are high but if you don't want to pay it, go elsewhere. You can buy Factory wheels at other places at lower prices.

Quick Reply: Dyaam my stock granny wheels are expensive !!!!