Dealership SCAM - busted.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-12, 02:51 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership SCAM - busted.

ya ya dealerships always do this :P

Last edited by J3ffrey; 02-26-12 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-25-12, 03:09 PM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the big deal here. Depending on your mileage they are automatically going to recommend replacing certain items. And just because the service writer told you that the tech looked at your elements and said they needed to be replaced, doesn't mean that was the case. Granted, maybe they really did, and they were trying to scam you but I just don't see it I guess. When I had my car in last time they told me I also needed those items replaced, but I just informed them that I had already done the work and that was that. I still saw it on my bill and it made a reference that I declined the work. I think this isn't as big as an issue as your making it out to be
Old 02-25-12, 03:17 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

+1 if you didn't get charge for something you decline it's not a scam.
Old 02-25-12, 03:25 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Soap
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the big deal here. Depending on your mileage they are automatically going to recommend replacing certain items. And just because the service writer told you that the tech looked at your elements and said they needed to be replaced, doesn't mean that was the case. Granted, maybe they really did, and they were trying to scam you but I just don't see it I guess. When I had my car in last time they told me I also needed those items replaced, but I just informed them that I had already done the work and that was that. I still saw it on my bill and it made a reference that I declined the work. I think this isn't as big as an issue as your making it out to be
Sorry but being told that I need to replace a part that is five days old is a scam no matter how you want to spin it.

Try and deflect all you want. I was told that a tech saw my stuff and it needed to be replaced. That's a bold face lie.
Old 02-25-12, 03:25 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by laobo979
+1 if you didn't get charge for something you decline it's not a scam.
Like I said, just being told I needed something to be replaced when it was brand new.....is a scam type deal.

He also told me that the battery failed a load test.

How much would you like to bet if I took it in to my local Mech. to be load tested....that it would pass?
Old 02-25-12, 03:27 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

The dealer just recommending the items that needed attention. You don't have to do it if you feel that your car don't need it.
Old 02-25-12, 03:29 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It is possible that the tech did not physically looked at it. Probably looked at the service history and mileage and based it on that.

But yeah not phyiscally checking is is a big mistake especially if it had been replaced 5 days ago.
Old 02-25-12, 03:30 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ISBU
The dealer just recommending the items that needed attention. You don't have to do it if you feel that your car don't need it.

but in the real world it did not need attention because it had just been replaced.

If you are going to put on a RO that it needs replacement, it better damn well need replacement, anything else is just a bunch of lies.
Old 02-25-12, 03:36 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

come on man... its the dealership you should expect them to try and SELL you something...come on now...now they know your not stupid..
Old 02-25-12, 03:37 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good catch J3ffrey, if they really inspected your car as they said it shouldn't be on the list of service needed. I guess there was a certain amount of miles on the car and they just decided you need the service. some of the guys on CL really don't appreciate anything just always ready to bash someone or kill the thread......
Old 02-25-12, 03:39 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
come on man... its the dealership you should expect them to try and SELL you something...come on now...now they know your not stupid..
I expect them to SELL me what I need. Not try and scam me over a filter I got on amazon for 7 dollars.

I do need the brake fluid flush and spark plugs, according to the book.

I'm almost tempted to go get the battery load tested tomorrow.
Old 02-25-12, 03:41 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You my friend are correct, But you need to remember they are still a business looking to make money and at least they did the warranty work!!!
Old 02-25-12, 03:44 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
You my friend are correct, But you need to remember they are still a business looking to make money and at least they did the warranty work!!!
Very true and I am VERY thankful for that (even though somehow they ****ed up my brakes).

I'm just ranting because this is an OUTRIGHT LIE and 100% false. I do NOT need filters and I have proof. They should do their job and I'm sure they make 1000's on filters that don't need to be replaced.
Old 02-25-12, 03:54 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Sorry but not a big deal most dealer recommend stuff and small machine shops. If your confident it's a huge scam please go to your local news station and put the dealership on blast for recommending air filter changes. Cause everytime they recommend something I say no they say ok.
Old 02-25-12, 04:08 PM
Legend217
Driver

"oh that's odd, they saw your filters and said you needed replacement"

Do they even service your car ? A licensed tech can't identify the differences between a dirty and clean filter ?

Quick Reply: Dealership SCAM - busted.