Dealership SCAM - busted.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-12, 04:15 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Legend217
"oh that's odd, they saw your filters and said you needed replacement"

Do they even service your car ? A licensed tech can't identify the differences between a dirty and clean filter ?
They basically replaced half my motor. A short block.
Old 02-25-12, 04:47 PM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
Sorry but being told that I need to replace a part that is five days old is a scam no matter how you want to spin it.

Try and deflect all you want. I was told that a tech saw my stuff and it needed to be replaced. That's a bold face lie.
Just posting my opinion on your interpretation of what took place.

u mad bro?
Old 02-25-12, 05:03 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

I'd have to agree with J3ffery on this. If the dealer is going to put on a repair order that these parts need replacing when they in fact, do not need it, then it is a scam. Most customers will take the word of their service adviser when it comes to basic maintenance items like this. If they are just recommending replacement based on mileage then that should be stated but that doesn't appear to be the case.

However, it's also why I do as much of my own maintenance as possible. That way, you know what you're getting each and every time. Of course, it requires a little more knowledge about the car but that's what CL is for!!!
Old 02-25-12, 05:04 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same thing happened with my wiper inserts, i went in and bought them saw my SA and said hey let me schedule my oil change, we did. Come back a week later and drop the car off AFTER i replaced the inserts. She called me to ask if it was okay to replace the water pump under warranty...of course I say yes and then she says everything looks great according to her tech EXCEPT he recommends new wiper inserts. I remind her that she saw me after buying them a week earlier and she said "Oh OK he probably didnt even look and based it off miles" made sense since im at 40k and have never done it.

Didnt really think about it being a scam, just sucks for people that trust these companies too much and cant think for themselves. HOWEVER those people would also not have changed their own filters or inserts since they have the dealers do it for them.
Old 02-25-12, 05:25 PM
qtmac
Rookie

Most likely the tech was going off the mileage of the vehicle. Yes he should of checked it before putting it on the RO but looks like he didn't check them. Dealership SAY they inspect ertain parts on certain services but really they don't. The one i really like is when they say "TQ all suspension bolts to MFG spec" Im pretty sure the tech is not gonna put his TQ wrench on ever single suspension bolt/nut and make sure its TQ to spec. SCAM? NO, Lazy? Yes
Old 02-25-12, 05:35 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they suck...
Old 02-25-12, 06:11 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is total B.S. You take your car to the dealer to get the best "service" by Lexus trained techs. You don't need to be sold something that is brand spanking new! I don't care if they looked at the history or that they are a business. They need to go down whatever list they go by and actually "DO" the checks. They basically wanted you to do all the maintenance where they could make money! SO SHADY!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-12, 06:52 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not surprised a dealership would do something like this. Good thing they didn't go through with changing those items then asking you to pay for it.
Old 02-25-12, 07:23 PM
Fjaw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i don't think it's a scam but more like laziness. Unless the techs are paid on commissions.
Old 02-25-12, 07:50 PM
starknight
Lead Lap

dont ever go to dealer for services unless is free! END OF THE STORY!
Old 02-25-12, 08:11 PM
JssIs
Driver School Candidate

That's where I bought both my Is' , I service my car at another lexus dealer. Not because of any issue though, just closer to home.
Old 02-25-12, 08:33 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's so shady
Old 02-25-12, 09:34 PM
Egeiger
Driver

i think you should dwell on it more.

who cares.
Old 02-25-12, 09:35 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The SA goes by mileage, simple as that. They don't even bother to check if you already had it done most of the time.

Example- I used the last of my "free" $500 Lexus gift card to get my brake fluid changed at the dealership (based on time, despite being a bit short of the 30k mileage). Just a couple months later I was in to get some trim replaced under warranty and dealer tells me "Since you've just hit 30,000 miles we recommend replacing your brake fluid"

I reminded her I had just done that.... and they'd done the work... a couple months earlier- she just shrugged and said oh, sorry, I didn't check.

Thus the value of taking a few minutes to understand what your car actually needs, and remembering when it got it... because the dealer sure ain't gonna do it for you.

No scam here, just normal way they do things.
Old 02-25-12, 09:41 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

^ insightful information.. good to know. Thanks

Quick Reply: Dealership SCAM - busted.