Car went into Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-12, 10:11 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car went into Dealer?

Hey all,

So I decided to put this to the Lexus Community for some support/questions/answers.

The issue was: Car started fine and began a rough idle. Rough in Reverse, neutral, and drive. Car shook/heavy vibrated unless RPMs were up. Came to a stop and car almost stalled out but caught itself. Continued rough idle and light shaking while driving. Continued for a few miles. When driving it felt fine as long as my foot was down on the gas. Slowed to a stop and engine stalled out. All lights were on like usual, but the battery and check engine light came on after it stalled. I started it up, hesisated but turned over and ran. But couldn’t hold idle and had to hold RPMs at 3k to keep the car running, which felt fine while in that range. Eventually got a jump and it ran for a few minutes with rough idle but only when battery was charged up again. Checked battery with multimeter: 11.7 V on the run position, 12.06 V off, and 13.3 V while engine was running. Yes I know I need a new battery. But once at a local shop the guy started the car and now also has a heavy smell of un-burnt fuel and check engine/battery but check VSC code came up on the heads up display. The VSC didnt happen before. Last time that happened a Lexus dealer replaced the oxygen sensor (down stream 1 I think) and charged me an arm and a leg.

I did have my audio system and HID fog lights hooked up but disconnected them once I stalled out. Battery is original OEM battery.

Then had it towed up to a local Lexus dealership who stated that they (like my mechanic said) was displaying Engine Codes: P0300, P0301, P0303, P0305, and P0306 which are misfires on 5 out of 6 cyclinders. I had replaced the spark plugs about 8,000 miles prior already. Lexus stated that the cause of the issue was a breather tube was disconnected from the air intake and that caused all my issues. Since then (2 days) the cars seems alright (i also kept my audio stuff disconnected) and doesnt shake but does fluctuate betweeen 1,000 RPM and 500 RPM at times/when stopping.

I was initially thinking that it was the carbon buildup TSB but I wanted to see if this was a cause. Not saying anything bad about the dealer. Just wanting to make sure the carbon buildup isnt a factor, which i mentioned, because my warranty expires soon.

Also, rather then double posting, I've always used Duralast Gold Batteries but has anyone fit a larger then OEM battery in to an Is250? Duralast makes 2 gold series ones but the one that is larger has quite a bit more Cold Cranking Amps. I'd like to put an optima yellow top in but it is very large although maybe someone has already done it before?

Last edited by irishcharm; 02-25-12 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-26-12, 06:24 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sunday bump. attempting to hopefully purchase a battery today and tinker around with looking into the bleeder hose today.