IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Quick question!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-12, 09:45 AM
EricOrtiz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question!

So for mercedez I know there is something called dyno mode where everything electronically is shut off. Like your traction control, paddle shifter help (where if you miss a shift it shifts by itself), ect. I was wondering if there is anything like this for Lexus. Where you can turn everything off so you can push your IS to its full capacity. Thanks.
Old 02-20-12, 09:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EricOrtiz
So for mercedez I know there is something called dyno mode where everything electronically is shut off. Like your traction control, paddle shifter help (where if you miss a shift it shifts by itself), ect. I was wondering if there is anything like this for Lexus. Where you can turn everything off so you can push your IS to its full capacity. Thanks.
The paddles aren't shifters, if you want the best performance in a drag race just leave the car in D and don't touch the paddles. (also leave the ECT switch in Normal mode)

As for traction control, hold down the button on the dash for 5 seconds and it turns off traction control and VSC until you either hit the button again or restart the car.

(if you only tap the button momentarily, not hold it down, it leaves VSC on, and only shuts off traction control until you hit 30 mph)

(the above 2 lines assumes your car is an 07 or newer... for an 06 you need to do the pedal dance to turn off TC and VSC)
Old 02-20-12, 09:53 AM
EricOrtiz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The paddles aren't shifters, if you want the best performance in a drag race just leave the car in D and don't touch the paddles. (also leave the ECT switch in Normal mode)

As for traction control, hold down the button on the dash for 5 seconds and it turns off traction control and VSC until you either hit the button again or restart the car.

(if you only tap the button momentarily, not hold it down, it leaves VSC on, and only shuts off traction control until you hit 30 mph)

(the above 2 lines assumes your car is an 07 or newer... for an 06 you need to do the pedal dance to turn off TC and VSC)
I have an 09 IS250, but thanks for this info. But for the mercedez my friend pushed his odometer button 3 times and it shut off all the electronics for good. So the traction control was off for good and couldnt turn it back on until you shut off dyno mode. And for paddle shifters if you were on S you can red line it as much as you want with out it changing shifts for you.
Old 02-20-12, 10:09 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Sorry but there not much reason too push the 250 for anyways it's slow. Redlining the rpm just wasting gas.
Old 02-20-12, 01:06 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EricOrtiz
I have an 09 IS250, but thanks for this info. But for the mercedez my friend pushed his odometer button 3 times and it shut off all the electronics for good. So the traction control was off for good and couldnt turn it back on until you shut off dyno mode. And for paddle shifters if you were on S you can red line it as much as you want with out it changing shifts for you.
The 2IS has nothing like that.

Turn off TC/VSC until you restart the car or turn them back on with the button. That's it.

I agree you can use the paddles to make the car bounce off the rev limiter, but I don't see why you'd ever want to- that makes the car slower than shifting properly into the next higher gear.

(which is why leaving it in D is always the best option in a drag race- the paddles are incapable of doing anything but making the car slower there, or, at best, if you manage to paddle up perfectly, duplicate what the computer already does automatically if left in D)

The paddles are not shifters. Ever. They are top gear limiters.

If you want real paddle shifting in a Lexus the IS-F is your only real option.