IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Removing entire dash tomorrow anyone have any pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 03:22 PM
Marexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing entire dash tomorrow anyone have any pointers?

Im tired of my dash reflecting sunlight onto the windshield due to it being melted and making it dangerous for me to see so I found a wrecked IS250 with black interior. Tomorrow Ill be swapping the dash, steering wheel and both front door panels. The thing is I am going to be pulling the parts myself with some help.

I bought my car with the interior needing some work and with these pieces tomorrow it'll look like new finally!

Does anyone know of a DIY or instructions on how to get the dash pad off without breaking anything?
Old 02-14-12, 03:34 PM
06pearlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest to take out your dash first and memorize where all the screws go. Then go take the other dash carefully.

How much did it cost?
Old 02-14-12, 03:47 PM
Marexus
Driver

Originally Posted by 06pearlex
I suggest to take out your dash first and memorize where all the screws go. Then go take the other dash carefully.

How much did it cost?

Used dash steering wheel and both door panels all in excellent shape were $700.

Good Idea about removing mine but Im not sure if the owner of the IS that he's parting will want to remove mine first. Good idea though!
Old 02-14-12, 04:14 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

its a lot of work!
Old 02-14-12, 05:21 PM
o7iS250
Pole Position

good luck, taking dash's apart/off are no fun on any car!
Old 02-14-12, 05:39 PM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can help!

The satellite radio kit installation instructions provided by Lexus show how to disassemble the center console and remove the radio, which will get you part of the way. I've attached that.

Also, there are a few service bulletins showing Lexus technicians where to put felt tape if a customer complains of rattles. I bought a roll of felt tape from a BMW dealer (it was hard to find a dealership who would sell a roll of it) and i've used it on all of my vehicles when something rattles. I would find that TSB so you can apply felt to those areas. (I'd liberally apply felt tape at every interface).

I think where the dash meets the windshield it is propped up by clips. Make sure you get all the clips from the donor car.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Dash Disassembly.pdf (788.5 KB, 1196 views)
Old 02-14-12, 05:41 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a request: PLEASE take lots of pictures of the area under the dash once it's removed. I ask this because I think it would help people enormously who are having rattling issues coming from under the dash. My dash rattled like crazy forever until the dealership fixed it after the fifth try, but I never got to see or know exactly what it looks like underneath and what's rattling.

So all I ask is that you take high quality photos of all the areas under the dash once it's removed and post it here, if you can!
Old 02-14-12, 06:29 PM
Marexus
Driver

Originally Posted by hades281
I can help!

The satellite radio kit installation instructions provided by Lexus show how to disassemble the center console and remove the radio, which will get you part of the way. I've attached that.

Also, there are a few service bulletins showing Lexus technicians where to put felt tape if a customer complains of rattles. I bought a roll of felt tape from a BMW dealer (it was hard to find a dealership who would sell a roll of it) and i've used it on all of my vehicles when something rattles. I would find that TSB so you can apply felt to those areas. (I'd liberally apply felt tape at every interface).

I think where the dash meets the windshield it is propped up by clips. Make sure you get all the clips from the donor car.

Saved! Thank you!
Old 02-14-12, 06:33 PM
Marexus
Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I have a request: PLEASE take lots of pictures of the area under the dash once it's removed. I ask this because I think it would help people enormously who are having rattling issues coming from under the dash. My dash rattled like crazy forever until the dealership fixed it after the fifth try, but I never got to see or know exactly what it looks like underneath and what's rattling.

So all I ask is that you take high quality photos of all the areas under the dash once it's removed and post it here, if you can!
I will try and get some good pics for everyone
Old 11-20-12, 07:50 AM
mayuj
Driver School Candidate

Marexus = Fail

Hades281 = Win (thanks for the manual)
Old 11-20-12, 08:46 AM
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Marexus
Im tired of my dash reflecting sunlight onto the windshield due to it being melted and making it dangerous for me to see so I found a wrecked IS250 with black interior. Tomorrow Ill be swapping the dash, steering wheel and both front door panels. The thing is I am going to be pulling the parts myself with some help.

I bought my car with the interior needing some work and with these pieces tomorrow it'll look like new finally!

Does anyone know of a DIY or instructions on how to get the dash pad off without breaking anything?

I need a front interior door panel for driver side what will you be doing with your old one? What conditon is it in?
Old 11-20-12, 10:08 AM
tziegler03
Driver School Candidate

Sounds really involved.
Old 11-20-12, 10:42 AM
Boostd
Driver

Your a brave soul! Good luck with your adventure. I'm sure it will look much better when your finished.
Old 11-20-12, 03:56 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Take lots of pictures so you don't have extra screws at the end.
Old 11-21-12, 01:51 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Feb 2012 thread? Did the OP even complete the exchange as described?

Quick Reply: Removing entire dash tomorrow anyone have any pointers?