IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

mobile 1 extended performance

Old 02-13-12, 07:03 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DKnight350
Kurtz I love your passion! But i think you again make my points:

1. Long OCI's are a benefit in saving money and show the oil is lasting longer - but again that does not mean the motor lasts any longer than a guy doing 5k OCs with regular oil.
But that wasn't what you originally raised.

You said there was no benefit from using synthetic oil

Which I've now given two examples of.

You can't dismiss the time/$ savings benefit of the oil now as something that doesn't benefit the motor, because that wasn't your original point.

It's capable of being run longer, safely. That's a proveable benefit of synthetic oil.

If you now want to change the topic to a benefit specific to the engine that'd be more like point 2

Originally Posted by DKnight350
2. Your no oil pressure story is the exact non scientific example we all heart about. Can you prove the motor would have seized with regular oil? The answer is no. All you proved is that 1 time it happened your way. That is not scientific.

I can't, no... but those tests we already talked about (where they run dozens of identical engines, some on conventional, some on synthetic, in a lab... and then run them after they drained out the oil... and the ones run on conventional all sieze up and die much quicker than the ones run on synthetic, proves that point exactly

Hence, a measurable and proveable benefit to the enigne of synthetic.

Just not one, hopefully anyway, that the average person will need.

Now, if your question is "Will the average guy who changes every 5k miles regardless of what anyone tells him, and never has a catastrophic oil pressure loss, notice any significantly longer engine life running synthetic over conventional? then I'd say probably not.

But your original question was about if synthetic had any benefits over conventional.... and yes, it does. Certainly the 2 I mentioned are among them.

Synthetic also has better cold-flow properties (ie it flows better on a cold engine start and/or cold weather). That is also provable... but how much "benefit" that provides I don't know that anyone has any scientific results for you, which is why I didn't bring it up.... (there'd also be some benefit in cold starts (not just cold weather, but simply cold engine) in that synthetic leaves a better protective coating on the engine parts in the first place before the cold engine gets it flowing and warmed up- as evidenced by the "no oil in engine" testing)

To really properly test that you'd need to do something like put two engines (well, probably 20, 10 tested each way, to be safe).... in a 20 degree room... half with conventional half with synthetic... let them get cold.... cold start them and let them run to operating temp and maybe 10-20 minutes more.

then turn em off... and wait till they're all fully cold again...

then repeat that, I dunno, 3000-5000 times?

Then tear down the motors and see if the ones that ran on synthetic are in better shape or not.

I suspect they would be as they spent a decent bit less time poorly lubricated in their life. But that's a pretty awful pain in the butt amount of testing which is probably why (far as I know) nobody has done it.

(If anyone HAS done it and anyone knows the results, please post em up!)
Old 03-06-12, 10:13 PM
AndysIS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright guys i will have to get a oil anlyasis when i do a oil change but how do i get this done do i get a kit sent to me? or do i just send some of my oil to a place that test it?
Old 03-07-12, 06:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AndysIS
alright guys i will have to get a oil anlyasis when i do a oil change but how do i get this done do i get a kit sent to me? or do i just send some of my oil to a place that test it?
You get a kit to send off the oil sample. They're free (the kit, not the analysis)

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php
Old 03-07-12, 06:45 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

I personally change my oil every 5k and only use mobil1 full synthetic. A oil analysis is the only way to know for sure how much life is left but I personally feel like 15k is to long to leave oil in a car although I'm sure if you did a oil analysis it would still be fine.
Old 03-07-12, 08:46 AM
AndysIS
Driver

yea next time i do a oil change i will send it in and update you guys about if its still good or not
Old 03-07-12, 09:49 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be perfectly fine, the oil analysis have shown before that synthetic oil can definitely go 15k miles.

You may even be able to find some if you do a quick search.
Old 03-07-12, 10:55 AM
LeonHuu007
Driver School Candidate

Becareful of using the EP. If you decide to use it try changing it at around 8-10k. Don't wait until 15k. My boss blow up his car engine because he kept using EP and change his oil at 15k. I rather stick with regular Mobil 1
Old 03-07-12, 11:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Again even dino oil has been proven to be perfectly fine to 10k miles in the 2IS... synthetic can surely go 15k or more....

the weak link is the filter, which I wouldn't push past 10k miles... so maybe change the filter (not the oil) at 7500 if you want to run to 15k.

There's a synthetic media filter from TRD for the 2IS that might be ok past 10k but don't know anyone who has tested that yet.

and yes, get UOA if you wanna be sure what's ok for your car in your driving conditions.
Old 03-07-12, 04:18 PM
AndysIS
Driver

alright thanks for the responses i didnt know i had to change the filter inbetween ,good to know i will send in the oil and keep you guys updated
Old 03-07-12, 04:35 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn oil changes got serious O.o I do it every 5K miles with Mobil 1 synthetic I can't run 10K miles with the same oil no matter what anyone says, i guess its everyones own personal preference.
Old 03-07-12, 04:48 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ms2619
damn oil changes got serious O.o I do it every 5K miles with Mobil 1 synthetic I can't run 10K miles with the same oil no matter what anyone says, i guess its everyones own personal preference.
Even if Lexus says it's ok to go 10k on full synthetic?

I'll be replacing my oil filter before too long at 7500 miles and will send in the oil for UOA.
Old 03-07-12, 05:01 PM
Squishdies
Driver School Candidate

Has anybody used Royal Purple? im using it this last change and seem to be running good and coming up to the 5k mark and dont seem to be losing mpg.

after reading this string, i want to try this EP and see how it goes unless there're other that agree with the RP
Old 03-07-12, 05:29 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ms2619
Save yourself some money then- if you insist on changing way too often (which 5k demonstrably is) then use a cheaper oil- it won't make much difference changing that often.

When lexus switched to factory fill synthetic for the 250 in 2011 even they changed the official change interval to 10k because even they know 5k is way too often on these motors, especially with a synthetic oil.
Old 03-07-12, 10:57 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^compared to some ppl doing it every 3K miles, I don't think 5K is that bad...I guess its just a piece of mind but i see where your coming from about the 10K miles and I only use synthetic becase I thought it would reduce more amounts of that engine carbon build up....well according to the lexus tech after i switched conventional to synthetic
Old 03-08-12, 08:38 AM
starknight
Lead Lap

i went to several autozone before and asked for the difference between the mobile 1 regular and EP, they all said no need for EP o.0

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mobile 1 extended performance