Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting read in that link giant. Thanks 4 posting
Old 02-15-12, 12:11 PM
aggatek
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates?

Can someone show me where the flasher relay is located? picture if possible would be great!

Thank you
Old 02-15-12, 12:13 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's somewhere above the brake/gas pedals. There is a panel above and needs to be removed with two screws. Remove that and need to reach up inside and you'll see the flasher in there.
Old 02-15-12, 04:45 PM
aggatek
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sango
It's somewhere above the brake/gas pedals. There is a panel above and needs to be removed with two screws. Remove that and need to reach up inside and you'll see the flasher in there.
Thanks!

I am actually going to try and attempt to modify my stock flasher. I cant exactly remember where I saw this but its on one of those LED websites where they said you could grind down the metal horse shoe looking resistor? that is within the relay. They said if you grind it down enough it will decrease the load voltage enough to trick the relay from thinking a light is out. It is mostly a trial and error type of modification. All you need is a dremel.

Lets see how this turns out
Old 02-15-12, 05:18 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aggatek
Thanks!

I am actually going to try and attempt to modify my stock flasher. I cant exactly remember where I saw this but its on one of those LED websites where they said you could grind down the metal horse shoe looking resistor? that is within the relay. They said if you grind it down enough it will decrease the load voltage enough to trick the relay from thinking a light is out. It is mostly a trial and error type of modification. All you need is a dremel.

Lets see how this turns out
You're referring to this.

http://vleds.wordpress.com/2010/12/0...k-with-v-leds/

I am thinking of doing this too. For me, I'll just go buy another stock flasher and modify that one. I will use the guide but with a twist. Instead of grinding down the hoop, I will desolder the hoop and use a multi-meter to find out its resistance value; then go to a electronics shop and find a resistor comparable with less resistance and try that in its place.
Old 02-15-12, 05:33 PM
aggatek
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sango
You're referring to this.

http://vleds.wordpress.com/2010/12/0...k-with-v-leds/

I am thinking of doing this too. For me, I'll just go buy another stock flasher and modify that one. I will use the guide but with a twist. Instead of grinding down the hoop, I will desolder the hoop and use a multi-meter to find out its resistance value; then go to a electronics shop and find a resistor comparable with less resistance and try that in its place.
Yes, thats the article. Ive done something similar to what you plan on doing with my c6 vette to turn off the 1st to 4th gear shift but that was through a fuse.

This will be my second option. Let me know what resistor you use. I currently have just the the 4 leds in place for my turn signals. So I think I will give those resistors mentioned in the post on the first page.
Old 02-15-12, 06:32 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Oh you mean the aftermarket turn relay. I was thinking of it but then I don't think their quality is that good compared to the stock, therefore it don't last compared to what I have read from various sources in general.

Last edited by Sango; 02-15-12 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 08:14 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by aggatek
Yes, thats the article. Ive done something similar to what you plan on doing with my c6 vette to turn off the 1st to 4th gear shift but that was through a fuse.

This will be my second option. Let me know what resistor you use. I currently have just the the 4 leds in place for my turn signals. So I think I will give those resistors mentioned in the post on the first page.
I initially tried shaving the shunt resistor down, but it didn't work for me. I desoldered the shunt resistor then soldered in a 1w .22 ohm and 1w .33 ohm resistors in parallel.
Old 02-15-12, 08:53 PM
jgarrido
Driver

good information!!
Old 02-15-12, 11:13 PM
Sango
Pole Position

So it sounds like a 2W resistor with something like 0.XX ohms.

How about a 0 ohm resistor?
Old 02-16-12, 10:13 AM
aggatek
Rookie

Originally Posted by rcJten
I initially tried shaving the shunt resistor down, but it didn't work for me. I desoldered the shunt resistor then soldered in a 1w .22 ohm and 1w .33 ohm resistors in parallel.
Shaving the resistor down as said in that article was a lot of trial and error. After thinking about it I think I will also go the route you and Sango chosen.

Lets see how it turns out after the weekend.
Old 02-16-12, 02:18 PM
jgarrido
Driver

rcjten, if you put 0.2 ohm and 0.3ohm in parallel the total value is less than 0.2 so that it is possible that the value is in the order of 0.1 ohm and 0.2, this value is very critical, I think the best option is to lower the shunt nichrome have the desired value. thanks
Old 02-16-12, 03:50 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jgarrido
rcjten, if you put 0.2 ohm and 0.3ohm in parallel the total value is less than 0.2 so that it is possible that the value is in the order of 0.1 ohm and 0.2, this value is very critical, I think the best option is to lower the shunt nichrome have the desired value. thanks
I shaved shunt, then tested about 20 times. By the end of it there was nothing left of the shunt, and it still did not work. Based upon the current draws stated by V-Led and iJDM toy for the signals I have I estimated the resistance to be somewhere in the .5v range. Yes, the LEDs have a very low resistance. The key is to have the resistance value slightly lower than the actual resistance of your LEDs this way when one dies the resistance drops bellow that of the reference resistor and the flasher goes hyper. With incandescent bulbs the resistance for each bulb is much higher so you have a bit more slop in setting the reference resistance. Listed bellow are the resistor combos I tried, and their results. One thing to note, the resistance changed when I turned my HIDs on, so when I first thought I had found the proper ohms (no hyper flash + bulb out detection) it reverted to hyper flash as soon as I turned the headlights on. The slight chabge in resistance is not an issue for the higher resistance incandescent bulbs, but can wreak havoc when your margins are within .01V.

Here's my findings:

.18 1w + .33 1w = .11647 2w = .48264V (Hyper Flash)
.22 1w + .27 1w = .12122 2w = .49238V (Hyper Flash)
.22 1w + .33 1w = .132 2w = .51381V (Perfect Operation)
.27 1w + .27 1w = .135 2w = .51962V (No Operation)
.27 1w + .33 1w = .1485 2w = .54498V (No Operation)

If some of my logic above is not correct feel free to tell me where I went wrong. I have no electrical background whatsoever, I have a degree in Graphic Design so everything above was self taught. What I am sure of though is that with my leds the .22 and the .33 have been working flawlessly to date.

Last edited by rcJten; 02-16-12 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-16-12, 04:21 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Hmm, , the lower resistance and on should not hyper flash I would think because the load of the LED is more so it should be fine but yours case they still trigger.

From what I read from vLED is that the LED's have barely any resistance so I am thinking of maybe the use of a 0 ohm resistor would work best or at least 0.1 resistor.

From my bulbs using approximate calculations of what my LED bulbs are its about 7-8 W. I'm thinking 2 W, with 0 or 0.1 ohm.
Old 02-16-12, 04:40 PM
jgarrido
Driver

rcjtenn I'm not at that step yet, I'm trying to wire the drl, ok I am of the idea of shave the shunt resistor.
1-connect a multimeter (on resistance) between the two ends of the shunt and the value measured in ohms (example 0.18 ohm).
2-this value will give you as much as you have to do, shave the shunt (file) and measures the proxino value must be less than 0.18 ohm, 0.15 ohm can be and then connect the flash to auto and check it, and so on until you have the desired value, it is independent because everyone has different smd that handle different Pw.
When your shave shunt the ohmic value is smallest, is almost as if you did a bridge in shunt (0ohm).Here you no play whit Volts you play whit miliamps.
I think this might help you.(sorry guys im spanish )

Quick Reply: $8 cure to fixing fast blinking issue when using LED bulbs