IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Attn: Phillips Ultinon 6000k owners... What are the best match fogs???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 10:28 AM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Attn: Phillips Ultinon 6000k owners... What are the best match fogs???

I'm planning on pulling the trigger on the phillips ultinon 6K D4S bulbs to replace my garax, and I want to know what your thoughts are on the best HID kit match for fogs would be.

I've heard that the phillips are really more like 5700k... So not sure which fogs would match. I'm thinking maybe the 5K from HID kit from xenon depot??? But I'm not sure.

Can anyone who has seen these bulbs please chime in?
Old 02-06-12, 11:34 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Philips Ultinon 6000K D4S. The actual is about 5800K or so, but it's fine since the Ultinon's 6000K is like pure white. Other brand names, some other 6000K's is too blue and stuff.

If you want the best match, get the Philips Xenon HID Conversion Kit for the fogs.

I have a thread about it here. It's not installed yet but will be installed end of this week and will be used for my fogs.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rsion-kit.html

Below are photos of the kit.

Last edited by Sango; 02-06-12 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-06-12, 11:41 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just remember, even if you have the same kind and same color kit in both the headlights and the fogs, there will be a slight color variation due to the low beams being behind a projector lens and the fogs being just in a standard housing with reflectors.
Old 02-06-12, 03:05 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

When i had my 250 i had D2R philips ultinon rebased to 9006 hid kit.
Old 02-06-12, 05:39 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Sango - Thanks for your response and link... I did see your earlier post, and am excited about seeing how they look when you actually do the install. Make sure you post up pics!

However, I'm not 100% convinced that those fogs will be a match until I can see pics for a couple of reasons.

The first reason is that the bulbs in the HID kit are not "Ultinon" bulbs, so just like you said
Originally Posted by Sango
The actual is about 5800K or so, but it's fine since the Ultinon's 6000K is like pure white
and I'm not sure the HID kit is also "pure white".

The 2nd reason is for the point that Killa250 raises about the projector lens in the low beams changing the color of the light slightly. So even if they are the exact same color it may not match once installed, unless the color difference in the bulbs exactly offsets the color difference created by the projector lens.

In any case, do let us know how this works out... I do hope you get a match!

Originally Posted by laobo979
When i had my 250 i had D2R philips ultinon rebased to 9006 hid kit.
Did you also have Ultinon 6K lows? was it a perfect match?
Old 02-06-12, 06:21 PM
Sango
Pole Position

^
The reason why it is not called Ultinon is because Ultinon name only to the bulbs which are made by Philips Germany. The rebased is made by Philips China, therefore do not carry the name (I forgot the exact reason) however, they are Ultinon since it is a rebased Ultinon.

Yes the lens would have an influence in the light color output, but probably best to match the light sources first since it would guarantee a better match.

Last edited by Sango; 02-06-12 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 06:29 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Sango did your rebase kit come with the red salt in the middle? As for the match i couldnt really tell you since i had blue over lay on the fogs. Plus picture are hard to capture the true output.
Old 02-06-12, 06:43 PM
Sango
Pole Position

laobo979,

I just checked. Yes it has the red salts in the middle.
Old 02-07-12, 07:02 AM
HAiS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the philips better than the garax and xenon depot?
Old 02-07-12, 07:30 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Yes Philips is better than Garax and Xenon Depot.

Xenon Depot does sell the Philips Ultinon bulbs as well.

I got mine from Nigel-JDMParts.
Old 02-07-12, 07:43 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Look forward to seeing your results Sango! You sould try to go out to some local meets and get pictures next to other's lighting setups if you have a chance.
Old 02-07-12, 05:59 PM
9relude8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The d4s does not have red salt in the bulb... But I think the d2s typically did
Old 02-07-12, 06:07 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sango
^
The reason why it is not called Ultinon is because Ultinon name only to the bulbs which are made by Philips Germany. The rebased is made by Philips China, therefore do not carry the name (I forgot the exact reason) however, they are Ultinon since it is a rebased Ultinon.

Yes the lens would have an influence in the light color output, but probably best to match the light sources first since it would guarantee a better match.
Thanks for the explanation, that's good to know. I've been doing some research and there are some who claim there are no authentic HID kits from Phillips. Check out this quote from Xenon Depot on the LX foum at the following link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lig...2-lx470-2.html

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Philips does not (and never has) made HID conversion kits. The kits you are seeing on the market these days as being "Philips HID kits" are not made by Philips. One factory in China has been acknowledged by Philips to become an authorized facility to manufacture bulbs (not ballasts). However, alot of companies in China have jumped on the bandwagon and started selling their products as "Philips." 95% of the kits you see have as much to do with Philips as your Lexus does to an apple.
Is this just old information from Xenon Depot? It is dated 2010. How can we be sure we are buying authentic Phillips HID kits, when a reputable source like Xenon Depot (who sell Phillips Ultinon) say they don't exist?

Sango- I'm not calling your kit fake, I'm just trying to educate myself of the options that are avaiable.
Old 02-07-12, 06:51 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SeanIS350
Thanks for the explanation, that's good to know. I've been doing some research and there are some who claim there are no authentic HID kits from Phillips. Check out this quote from Xenon Depot on the LX foum at the following link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lig...2-lx470-2.html

Is this just old information from Xenon Depot? It is dated 2010. How can we be sure we are buying authentic Phillips HID kits, when a reputable source like Xenon Depot (who sell Phillips Ultinon) say they don't exist?

Sango- I'm not calling your kit fake, I'm just trying to educate myself of the options that are avaiable.
Seems like dated information. Philips does make them as I purchased them from Nigel-JDMParts who is a CL forum vendor.

Also these kits are sold in Canada at one of the local malls in Richmond where they have a shelf full of the kits; Higher priced but that's why I purchased them from Nigel for a better price.

Also, my kits also passed Philips Authenticity check
http://www.authenticity.philips.com/

http://www.lighting.philips.com.hk/v...p?id=1058702#0 (this is the ballast)
http://www.lighting.philips.com.hk/v...2844&refId=1#0 (click on product listing for the bulbs)

Last edited by Sango; 02-07-12 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-07-12, 07:19 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Here the one i got from a member on the GS section back in 09. I did go threw the online fake vs real and these rebase were rite top to bottom. To bad i had to leave them on the is250 when i did the trade to is350. Cant say if they ballast were legit but the bulbs were.

Quick Reply: Attn: Phillips Ultinon 6000k owners... What are the best match fogs???