IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car trouble! Help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 04:20 PM
AndrexXxo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im assuming your car got the valve spring recall done?... As far as warranty goes, if your closest Lexus dealership is that far away Lexus might honor your warranty through a Toyota dealership (dont count on that though) that is assuming your car is still under warranty. My advice, leave it or take it, is to tow it to the Toyota dealership and get an initial diagnosis for it. it might just be a bad ignition coil causing the misfire. if this is a broken valve spring or something related, then you would have to call your Lexus dealership and see what they can do about it. IF under warranty, they have to eat the tow to the dealership. Now, if you know how to change your own spark plugs you might be able to know if this is just a bad coil ,and even fix it yourself without paying anyone to do it....
Old 02-06-12, 04:25 PM
HSTexan
Driver

This is the service history I pulled before I purchased the car. I don't see anything that might be valve springs on here so I would assume probably not.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Service History.pdf (46.7 KB, 228 views)
Old 02-06-12, 04:30 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Just found this thread too:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ng-recall.html

It seems this user was also experiencing problems with cylinder 4, but his said injector. I'll limp the car to the Toyota dealership tomorrow and see what they say. Unfortunately the Lexus dealership is 85 miles north of here. Hopefully Lexus will let Toyota do it if it is valve springs since the car is out of warranty they would not be forced to eat the towing cost.

Last edited by HSTexan; 02-06-12 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 04:39 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Since I have another car I can drive I wonder if it would be beneficial to sign back up for AAA plus and wait the 7 or so days for services to be activated to have them tow it to the Lexus dealership. $85 for a year of AAA plus is cheaper than a one time $150-$200 tow.
Old 02-06-12, 04:50 PM
AndrexXxo
Driver School Candidate

Its hard to judge because there are campaigns done that have no actual title or campaign # in there... best bet is for you to call your Lexus dealership and ask them. chances are they might see something in there that means free warranty work for you. Just call them, tell them your situation, if they are true professionals, as they should be, they will give you a fair answer. let us know how it goes. good luck
Old 02-06-12, 04:52 PM
AndrexXxo
Driver School Candidate

they can good will warranty jobs..... under special circumstances... just be nice. seems like you have figured it out. good luck
Old 02-06-12, 05:16 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Originally Posted by AndrexXxo
Its hard to judge because there are campaigns done that have no actual title or campaign # in there... best bet is for you to call your Lexus dealership and ask them. chances are they might see something in there that means free warranty work for you. Just call them, tell them your situation, if they are true professionals, as they should be, they will give you a fair answer. let us know how it goes. good luck
Will do....thanks all for the input. Hopefully I'll get this sorted out soon.
Old 02-06-12, 05:52 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't understand why you'd not have had the valve spring recall performed. It was issued at least as early as fall 2010, meaning you're about a year and a half late...

Wouldn't this be the valve spring recall?

Dealer
Reported
11/02/2010 Lexus of Madison 68995 0138563 SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN

In any case, if you didn't have the recall performed and they're now failing and causing problems, don't assume you can just stroll in and have everything fixed for free. Lexus is going to argue (correctly so) that you wouldn't have had these issues if you had gotten the recall performed on time, and you should have been well informed of the existence of the recall.

If it's not the valve springs or related to the recall in any way, this will be out of pocket.

Last edited by calvin2376; 02-06-12 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 06:26 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Sorry...I guess I should have mentioned I purchased the car in November. I have no way of knowing specifically which service was done on the previous owner's behalf. When I called up the dealership before I bought the car they were very vague about specific services when I was asking about what was done. Hopefully if I explain this to them again they will be able to tell me if it was the valve service. If not, I would hope to have a chance to explain that the previous owner neglected to do the service and perhaps I could work out some sort of deal with them regarding perhaps partial cost if they want me to pay it all
Old 02-06-12, 06:32 PM
AndrexXxo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I don't understand why you'd not have had the valve spring recall performed. It was issued at least as early as fall 2010, meaning you're about a year and a half late...

Dealer
Reported

In any case, if you didn't have the recall performed and they're now failing and causing problems, don't assume you can just stroll in and have everything fixed for free. Lexus is going to argue (correctly so) that you wouldn't have had these issues if you had gotten the recall performed on time, and you should have been well informed of the existence of the recall.

If it's not the valve springs or related to the recall in any way, this will be out of pocket.
You are right and... also wrong... IF in fact, the campaign was done and this is related to a valve spring, the customer has the right to argue about a faulty part and/or installation. in the other hand, if the service was never done. there should be no problem doing it now. A recall never expires, thats the whole point.
Old 02-06-12, 10:58 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well after i did the valve spring recall...months later actually last week I took the car in for an oil change and told them the idle was a little rough and that at a stop every now in then the car would shutter a little bit. they diagnosed the engine, keep in mind i didnt have any lights on and they found that there was a misfire. They did a repair under warranty for me to fix it and even replaced my spark plugs which only cost me the price of the plugs. Durng the same visit they also replace my water pump...I kept hearing water shoot from the front to back...thought it was the sunroof drains or even the radiator...apparently the pump was leaking? Anyhow my car runs great now. this is what shows up for my car, i can look at the receipt maybe that has more info if you need it:

Dealer Reported 01/31/2012 40432 0966147 PLUGS, SPARK - REPLACE
Dealer Reported 01/31/2012 40432 0966147 CUSTOMER REQUESTED TO HAVE MULTI POINT INSPECTION PERFORMED THIS VISIT
Dealer Reported 01/31/2012 40432 0966147 MIL ON DTC P030# / OR INTERMITTENTLY RUNS ROUGH
Dealer Reported 01/31/2012 40432 0966147 WATER PUMP ASSY &/OR GSKT
Old 02-08-12, 03:03 PM
HSTexan
Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376

Dealer
Reported

Got the car to Toyota today and they looked it over. Initially their thought was bad coil as well. They ran a compression test on it and it looks like it is the valve springs after all. I called the Lexus dealer up north and asked what I needed to do and he said that this service you posted from 11/2/2010 was the valve recall already. He is supposed to be collecting more data and talking to some of the techs about what can happen, but he was giving me the impression that Lexus would NOT be covering the service. I had asked if it could still be broken due to faulty install or if they could have only replaced the broken piece rather than them all and he said he'd have to look into it.

Any ideas on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. If it came down to worst case scenario and I did have to pay for the service myself, does anyone have an estimate on how much it would cost to do a valve spring replacement?

Edit: Off topic, but is anyone else having issues getting on CL on their browser? Both Safari and Chrome are having problems opening it...was about to have to use my phone and it finally loaded.

Last edited by HSTexan; 02-08-12 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 03:33 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HSTexan
Got the car to Toyota today and they looked it over. Initially their thought was bad coil as well. They ran a compression test on it and it looks like it is the valve springs after all. I called the Lexus dealer up north and asked what I needed to do and he said that this service you posted from 11/2/2010 was the valve recall already. He is supposed to be collecting more data and talking to some of the techs about what can happen, but he was giving me the impression that Lexus would NOT be covering the service. I had asked if it could still be broken due to faulty install or if they could have only replaced the broken piece rather than them all and he said he'd have to look into it.

Any ideas on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. If it came down to worst case scenario and I did have to pay for the service myself, does anyone have an estimate on how much it would cost to do a valve spring replacement?

Edit: Off topic, but is anyone else having issues getting on CL on their browser? Both Safari and Chrome are having problems opening it...was about to have to use my phone and it finally loaded.
If the valve spring recall was already performed and you're having problems with it again, I think you have a strong case with Lexus to get them to cover it. First off, I wouldn't take what the dealer is saying or insinuating at this point as gospel. He's just speaking in such a way to cover himself and not say or assure you of something that isn't true. He might think Lexus will cover it but doesn't want to say so in case they end up not covering it.

Just let the dealer get back to you before drawing conclusions and making calls, etc. If he says yes it's the valve springs, then you're going to need to push back and eventually start calling and pushing back on Lexus corporate to get them to cover it since it's related to a recall. Make sure to mention that you're going to file a complaint with the NHTSA about issues recurring after a recall.
Old 02-08-12, 03:45 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would ask Lexus dealership to prince the full service history for you. This is because the Lexus secure website for looking and the service history does not go into full detail.
Old 02-08-12, 05:55 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

If the dealership puts put a fight about taking care of the valve spring issue, get Lexus Corp involved. They get results.

Quick Reply: Car trouble! Help please!!