IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Black Out Window Trim Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-12, 06:16 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. Is it necessary to mask the whole car for plastidip? I have used plastidip many times and you can easily peel it off the car's paint.
Old 12-01-12, 07:35 PM
saxqtzk
Rookie

wow, looks really good. Good job.
Old 12-01-12, 11:10 PM
ntech
Rookie

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Looks good. Is it necessary to mask the whole car for plastidip? I have used plastidip many times and you can easily peel it off the car's paint.
No you don't have to mask the whole car but it was my first time with a brand new Lexus and I wasn't taking any chances.
Old 12-01-12, 11:24 PM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

looks great. nice project and level of care/detail you put in.
Old 01-10-13, 07:53 PM
Moejosteve
Driver School Candidate

Bump that! Great job!
Old 02-20-13, 01:46 PM
manton1
Driver School Candidate

are you guys using the gen1 or gen2 belt line kit when vinyling the trim?
Old 02-20-13, 04:35 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great mod! I plan on definitely doing this if I ever get black wheels. I currently have my front surround/badge and rear emblems plastidipped with chrome wheels so I think the chrome looks really good and helps with the balance.
Old 05-20-14, 01:12 PM
huyz13
Rookie

Originally Posted by ntech
After doing some research in this forum I tried two methods of blacking out my window trim. The first product I used was Plasti Dip. The second was 3M Scotchprint 1080 gloss black vinyl.

I decided to post some pictures of my endeavors so you can make a comparison and decide for yourself which route you would like to go if any of you are thinking of doing the same thing.

Original Trim

Plasti Dip Prep and Process

Plasti Dip Results

I didn't like the way the color looked against the gloss black paint of my IS. The texture was also a bit too rough. I found that it peeled pretty easily after just one window cleaning so I decided to remove it.

On to vinyl I go...I chose to use 3M Scotchprint 1080 gloss black for the window trim, grill, and mirrors. The pictures below are my finished results.

]

I am very pleased with the way the vinyl turned out. I applied the vinyl with the trim still on the car. It was very helpful to have the correct tools such as a heat gun and a felt covered squeegee. The gloss black vinyl is a pretty close match to the paint. The real test will be how it holds up over time. I will keep you all posted about its durability.
any tips for the side mirrors? did you just cut the excess vinyl? or did you make a template?
Old 05-20-14, 01:42 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by huyz13
any tips for the side mirrors? did you just cut the excess vinyl? or did you make a template?
The turn signal can easily be removed after you pop off the mirror and the 3 (or 4) screws behind it. I would just do it that way so that you can wrap around edges to prevent after potential future lifting
Old 05-20-14, 05:40 PM
bryanc
Driver School Candidate

I used Plasti dip for my windows and I noticed the rubber lining is coming off. I plan to take off the rubber or have it get fixed and use the 3M to do it all over again. Came out great on your car!
Old 05-21-14, 10:11 AM
VaderIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plasti dip shouldnt come off THAT easy if applied with plenty of coats. To avoid texture you couldve done closer and slower coats. Other than that it came out pretty good with the vinyl!
Old 05-21-14, 10:49 AM
Rickyy
Driver School Candidate

Results look amazing! Was planning on de-chroming my IS as well. Thanks for sharing. Great informationn!
Old 05-23-14, 04:24 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

has anyone tried this with a SFP or CW color or anything besides black?
Old 05-30-14, 02:14 PM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

I've dipped the windows, grille, and badges on my BSP. I think de-chroming gives it a sporty, sleeper look. The badges and grille haven't peeled in over 2 years however my window trim is peeling after 1. Looking into going vinyl for the window trim.
Old 04-07-24, 07:57 AM
BasicBecca
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ntech
After doing some research in this forum I tried two methods of blacking out my window trim. The first product I used was Plasti Dip. The second was 3M Scotchprint 1080 gloss black vinyl.

I decided to post some pictures of my endeavors so you can make a comparison and decide for yourself which route you would like to go if any of you are thinking of doing the same thing.

Original Trim

Plasti Dip Prep and Process

Plasti Dip Results

I didn't like the way the color looked against the gloss black paint of my IS. The texture was also a bit too rough. I found that it peeled pretty easily after just one window cleaning so I decided to remove it.

On to vinyl I go...I chose to use 3M Scotchprint 1080 gloss black for the window trim, grill, and mirrors. The pictures below are my finished results.

]

I am very pleased with the way the vinyl turned out. I applied the vinyl with the trim still on the car. It was very helpful to have the correct tools such as a heat gun and a felt covered squeegee. The gloss black vinyl is a pretty close match to the paint. The real test will be how it holds up over time. I will keep you all posted about its durability.
Hello Can you please tell me how the tape withheld overtime?

Quick Reply: Black Out Window Trim Project