IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS350 Nav Update

Old 01-28-12, 08:42 AM
dlender
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 IS350 Nav Update

I just did this update myself today. Took about 3-5 minutes. Bought the v11 OEM disk on ebay for $155 which included shipping. The ebay dealer was Lexus of Miami.

Key Points after reading many threads:

1. The owner's manual gives basic directions on how to change the dvd.

2. The little pick like tools that fit in the tiny holes in the face plate are located in the trunk in the Lexus tool kit by the spare tire. I overlooked them the first time I looked for them since they are in a small pouch with velcro flap in the very center (fold) of the tool kit.

3. You push these tools in to the holes on the faceplate and you will get a fell for how far they push in. You can't push them to far..but don't hammer on them. Use some common sense.

4. I read in other threads about using tiny suction cups on the face plate while using the picks. I did so (bought from a craft store) but the picks when wiggled slightly pulled the face plate out. I thought that it was just the faceplate that came loose, but is was the whole clock assembly (about 1.5 inches total) to give you perspective of what actually comes loose.

Once the face plate is loose (wires stay intact so don't pull hard, just let the clock assembly hang down) then you have to have the car ACC on (push start button once without having foot on brake - car won't start but radio/nav, etc. powers up) so you can eject the old nav DVD via command on the screen. The old dvd will eject, put the new one in letters/writing side up like the one you just removed, push the face plate back in gently until it snaps in place and you are done. It will tell you to not power off since the dvd needs to update.

This is an easy job. Do it in the daytime when you have plenty of light, be gentle with the picks and faceplate and you should be fine. Getting the faceplate loose is the toughest part - don't rush and if not coming loose then try a different angle BUT DON'T FORCE IT. Also, don't do it when very cold since the plastic faceplate may break/splinter when it is very cold.
Good luck!!