Impressed!!I dont need a prius!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-12, 08:48 PM
teefar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MNIVET
Holy ****.
No offense to anyone in this thread... especially you OP...
But the "MPG" gauge on your instrument cluster is the ****TIEST way in life to know your MPG's...

One time on a road trip to Arkansas, I filled up, Reset to 0.. went 70mph cruise control on for over 5 hours... it shows 36mpg...
I stopped by a gas station and filled up back to full and divided my miles driven since last fill up by the gallons of gas used and it showed 25mpg... the "amazing" instrument cluster mpg gizmo way 11mpg off... and yes, that was reading the one that says "tank average"...

That gizmo is a THEORETICAL calculation...
the vehicles ECM looks at numerous variables such as but not limited to the amount of fuel left in the tank, engine rpm, engine load (load is determined by the MAF, and the amount of air passing through it as well as Throttle position) and im sure HUNDREDS of other factors...

It just uses these factors and determines what your "MPG" is and displays it on the instrument cluster...
It is WAY off.. on every SINGLE CAR I have EVER driven...

If you ever go by that thing your a TOTAL moron.

Good luck.
It's you're...
Old 01-19-12, 09:39 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by teefar
It's you're...
guess you showed him who's the moron now lol. That post from him was just uncalled for.
Old 01-19-12, 10:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I've noticed my trip computer to be pretty accurate. I drive nearly 100% city, and I'm averaging 21-22 mpg's. I think the EPA rating on the window sticker was dead on. When I do head out on the freeway, it goes right up to about 29 or 30. The car was rated 21/29. Right in there.
Old 01-20-12, 12:16 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
guess you showed him who's the moron now lol. That post from him was just uncalled for.
+1

Originally Posted by teefar
It's you're...
Good one.

Originally Posted by J_Hao
So after $45 can only fill up 3/4 tank of gas, I decided to drive like a grandma.

And I got THIS!

After 14 miles

After 110 miles!

I am very impressed by the MPG! NICE!
I have 2 doubts

1 )How did you get this ? Apart from turning off your air con/ heater , music system/ lights and driving at 40 Mph.

2 ) And how did you get your display to read MPG ? Mine only reads as 1 / 100 Km(M). I want it to read as KPL ( Kilometers per Liter ). Is it possible to change it on mine ?

Originally Posted by MNIVET
Holy ****.
No offense to anyone in this thread... especially you OP...
But the "MPG" gauge on your instrument cluster is the ****TIEST way in life to know your MPG's...

One time on a road trip to Arkansas, I filled up, Reset to 0.. went 70mph cruise control on for over 5 hours... it shows 36mpg...
I stopped by a gas station and filled up back to full and divided my miles driven since last fill up by the gallons of gas used and it showed 25mpg... the "amazing" instrument cluster mpg gizmo way 11mpg off... and yes, that was reading the one that says "tank average"...

That gizmo is a THEORETICAL calculation...
the vehicles ECM looks at numerous variables such as but not limited to the amount of fuel left in the tank, engine rpm, engine load (load is determined by the MAF, and the amount of air passing through it as well as Throttle position) and im sure HUNDREDS of other factors...

It just uses these factors and determines what your "MPG" is and displays it on the instrument cluster...
It is WAY off.. on every SINGLE CAR I have EVER driven...

If you ever go by that thing your a TOTAL moron.

Good luck.
Seriously dude , you're the one who is a Moron with all the wrong facts. I'm sorry everyone is entitled to their own opinions but you can't seriously tell us that the computed average is way off than the real average and that too by 11 MPG !!!. Something is really wrong with your car or your calculations. So sorry again no offense meant.
Old 01-20-12, 06:44 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stanjohn12

2 ) And how did you get your display to read MPG ? Mine only reads as 1 / 100 Km(M). I want it to read as KPL ( Kilometers per Liter ). Is it possible to change it on mine ?
He got that by buying the car in a country that shuns the metric system.

MPG is the standard unit of vehicle mileage in the US.
Old 01-20-12, 07:07 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodz123
I get 26MPG in my 350. 40 miles round trip to work. All freeway flying 60-80mph in the morning (no traffic) stop and go all the way home (rush hour traffic)
Damm....350 miles to and from work!?
Old 01-20-12, 10:16 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
He got that by buying the car in a country that shuns the metric system.

MPG is the standard unit of vehicle mileage in the US.
You guy's are so lucky, I'll have to keep dividing by 100 to get my mileage each time. But the thing here is, no one ever sees their car's mileage so no one cares how the mileage is displayed in their cars.
Old 01-20-12, 11:17 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guy's are so lucky, I'll have to keep dividing by 100 to get my mileage each time. But the thing here is, no one ever sees their car's mileage so no one cares how the mileage is displayed in their cars.
We're lucky because we have an @ss backwards, should-be-obsolete measuring system?
Old 01-20-12, 11:34 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Lexus dealership can do it. It's part of TechStream. I intially switched mine to say l / 100 km but switched it back to MPG since it is a US car.

Last edited by Sango; 01-23-12 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-20-12, 04:23 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladius
Damm....350 miles to and from work!?
No no, he said 40 miles round trip to work IN his 350
Old 01-20-12, 07:58 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by smackman
My 250 2011 convertible is approx 2mpg off not in my favor but not 11mpg. Something wrong with your calculator.

Also, We average 27 mpg in the convertible with 85% highway, 15% city and the topless 50% of the time.
I'd say it's just the computer, as I check it twice before putting it in drive after filling up. It's been wrong not in my favor before, but never more than 1-2 mpgs, sometimes it's even right aside from the numbers past the decimal. Every situation is different when trying to get a general mpg from everyone due to different driving tendencies and weather.
Old 01-20-12, 08:26 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't pay attention to the mpg reading on the dash, what i always watch is how much miles do i get on a full tank and i average 360miles before the warning light comes on. btw i have an is350.
Old 01-20-12, 09:31 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Impressive! Why can't I drive like a granny?!
Old 01-21-12, 12:16 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

I used to drive 95 miles (90% highway) round trip to work 5 days a week. Which resulted in the range reading in my avatar pic. I got 31-33 hand calculated mpg without trying and setting the cruise at 65-75 mph.

These days I drive 38 miles round trip (50% highway) and get 24-26 hand calculated mpg. The short trip I take for lunch kills my mpg.

I don't drive like a granny, but I don't pretend my commute is an autocross either.
Old 01-21-12, 03:41 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually get around 24-25 MPG. That guage is usually never off by more than 1-2 MPG at the most for me.

Quick Reply: Impressed!!I dont need a prius!